Is it possible to....

SomeFknGuy

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Oct 13, 2003
Messages
2,352
view contacts synced from an android device via the built in google sync service? I've tried google searching but I haven't been able to find a good 'yes or no' answer to it all. Has anyone tried this?
 
view contacts synced from an android device via the built in google sync service? I've tried google searching but I haven't been able to find a good 'yes or no' answer to it all. Has anyone tried this?

Sorry, do what? Contacts you add on your device that are synced end up in gmail under contacts, if that's what you mean.
 
Thats what i thought too? however, if i log into my gmail account and click on my contacts, there is nothing...
 
Here is a quick guide to do this:

Go into your contacts and press menu. There should be an option called Import/Export. Click this and choose Export to SD Card. Plug in your phone to a computer and log into Gmail. Click the Gmail button on the left and click contacts. Then on the left menu there will be an option to 'import contacts' Select the .vcf file saved on your SD card and all your contacts will be added to Gmail.

For me however, and perhaps it is because I have a Google voice-mail account, already have my contacts synced to my Gmail account. I believe I did this my going to Settings > Accounts & Sync > Gmail sync on.

Hope this helps some. Also there are apps on the market to sync from the phone, but I'm not sure how trustworthy they are.
 
Thanks Josiah, i'll give the first option a try. I did, however, ensure that the automatic syncing was enabled in the phone settings... They are, and i even forced them to do a manual sync, just not certain if they are actually synced...
 
Thanks Josiah, i'll give the first option a try. I did, however, ensure that the automatic syncing was enabled in the phone settings... They are, and i even forced them to do a manual sync, just not certain if they are actually synced...

When you click on the account you're syncing, you should be able to specify what you want to sync on the account. I'm on a Galaxy Nexus w/ Android 4.x, so I'm sure the menus are a little different on your phone (assuming you're on a 2.3 based phone as most people are). But when I click on my account in the "Accounts & Sync" (again, my be different on your phone), it gives me all sorts of sync options; Books, Browser, Calender, Contacts, Docs, Gmail, Photos, Music, etc. So be sure that you specify to sync contacts from your account to your phone.
 
When you click on the account you're syncing, you should be able to specify what you want to sync on the account. I'm on a Galaxy Nexus w/ Android 4.x, so I'm sure the menus are a little different on your phone (assuming you're on a 2.3 based phone as most people are). But when I click on my account in the "Accounts & Sync" (again, my be different on your phone), it gives me all sorts of sync options; Books, Browser, Calender, Contacts, Docs, Gmail, Photos, Music, etc. So be sure that you specify to sync contacts from your account to your phone.

Yeah, even though I select to sync my contacts it doesn't. I'm on 2.3.5 on my Epic4G. The only way I've found to sync my contacts is by doing it manually. It never synced them automatically. Doesn't do it on my wife's Evo either. My neighbors Bionic doesn't do it either.
 
Yeah, even though I select to sync my contacts it doesn't. I'm on 2.3.5 on my Epic4G. The only way I've found to sync my contacts is by doing it manually. It never synced them automatically. Doesn't do it on my wife's Evo either. My neighbors Bionic doesn't do it either.

Wow, that's very odd. Both my Nexus and old Droid synced contacts automatically after every wipe and ROM install (recently about every 2-3 weeks). It's one of the few things that I don't have to manually backup/restore after wiping the phone.
 
Wow, that's very odd. Both my Nexus and old Droid synced contacts automatically after every wipe and ROM install (recently about every 2-3 weeks). It's one of the few things that I don't have to manually backup/restore after wiping the phone.

It imports them to the phone fine, just doesn't add them to gmail's contacts online. Anytime I add a bunch of contacts I have to manually import them to gmail or risk losing them should something happen to my phone.
 
It imports them to the phone fine, just doesn't add them to gmail's contacts online. Anytime I add a bunch of contacts I have to manually import them to gmail or risk losing them should something happen to my phone.

Ahh. That's still something I've never experienced between my two phones. I used to export my contacts to my SD card just in case that happened before switching ROMs, but eventually quit because I never lost a contact due to it not syncing. Not sure what's going on there :confused:.
 
I know this may be redundant, but make sure you havent got "Sync Only On WiFi" enabled. Also, when adding a New Contact on your phone, does the "pop-up" box appear that asks you to "Create Contact Under Account--->xxx@gmail.com or Phone Only, unsynced"?

If the Phone Only option is being used, then Google/Gmail will not synch any of the phone numbers added into the phone...nor if I am mistaken will it sync the ones you manually added to your Gmail account...
 
It doesnt make any mention of 'create under account xxxx' it just adds it to the phone...
 
It doesnt make any mention of 'create under account xxxx' it just adds it to the phone...

Then that is the issue. It saves them to the phone local contacts by default (at least on my Evo 4g). I found a guide to transfer them (like stated above, export/import/etc).. and then a way to have google contacts as default.

This guide covers part of it.
http://androidforums.com/incredible-tips-tricks/172269-how-disable-backup-assistant.html#post1554790

I looked for the 'setting google as default' guide for saving new contacts, but couldn't find it. I believe you just go into applications/contacts and clear data, which resets you preferences, then go and add a new contact and select 'google' rather than 'phone' and it should set google as default.
 
Long as you are using the same gmail account to sign into the phone and gmail they should be synced. Try seeing if they show up when you go to this URL and sign-in. They should be there.
http://www.google.com/contacts
 
Back
Top