IS it possible to use one Router to connect to the internet from another router?

jervonics

Limp Gawd
Hi, I own 2 Lynksis WRT54g Routers. One is hooked up to my comcast xfinity modem and the internet(and my gaming rig). The other is downstairs on my other computer and there is no internet hook up for it. What I want to know, is, can I use the upstairs wireless router, which gives out wifi for my xbox and iphones, to connect the downstairs router to the internet. They are both wireless capable and I don't see why I couldn't use the downstairs router to pick up the wifi signal from the upstairs router. Does anyone know where I can find the info to do this?

I really appreciate your time and effort, you guys have ALWAYS been very helpful and informative, whatever the question......

I believe you can do that if you flash the ddwrt firmware to the router, look up wireless bridging.

If you can install DD-WRT on your routers, you should be able to configure one router as a wireless client.

Wireless bridging is completely possible and I've done it before, but obliviously, it's not the most reliable or recommended method around.

ok thnx for the quick answer. I am going to look up the bridging thing, as I really don't want to spend $70+ to what I need. I would just go by some Cat 5 cable and run a line over the house on that case. Thanks again.....

Yes it's possible, would I recommend it? No. Off the bat that second router through wireless bridge mode will be a max of 50% the possible wireless speed which could ultimately affect the first router connected directly to the Internet depending on the load/use. Keep that in mind as you will not reach any higher and possible could be even less depending on the signal and the distance from upstairs to downstairs. If you hard wired it via an ethernet cable that wouldn't be a problem. So while it works the speeds might be really crappy depending on what you're using it for.

yes it can be done, thru some hackery with dd-wrt
I think it would be easier for you to buy a Wifi card for the PC isntead

Last edited:
No you wont have any bandwith limitation, that's only if you are extending the wireless network without wires: something I strongly do not recommend.

I hooked a printer in my office this way. Ran out of network jacks, too lazy to run a new one, hey there's this dd-wrt-capable router here. It's Been running for months without an issue.

I don't understand why people say its not recommended?

It all depends on your current infrastructure, requirements and use. If you understand the technology, personally I would NOT say its "not recommended" as it depends on the circumstances.

If its a single PC, it might be easier getting a Wireless NIC, however if your comfortable flashing with hacked/custom firmware, want to learn about this technology or just an enthusiast, this might be the direction you want to take.

Just understand it and the risks, or use this as an opportunity to understand it but always understand the risks with modding stuff beforehand.

Wow, thanks for all the great replies! You guys are THE BEST place on the web to get the straight dope on ANY technical needs. I think I am going to try the DD-WRT route and see how it goes. I always like to learn something new....

Cheers!

Back