Is it possible to setup such a network at home?

I have always dreamed of setting small wireless network at home similar to the one that my university uses. In order to log on to the secure network at my university, I would use Windows' built-in utility to setup VPN. Then I would login with my username and password. From then on, my connection to the university's network is encrypted.

I'm wondering if it's possible to setup such a network at home? I'm not too keen to use WPA2 or WPA at home since it seems like you need to use a very long key in order to keep the network safe. I hear some people are using Linksys WRT54L with a custom firmware and Open VPN to set up such a network. Is this feasible to do at home? I may also want to connect to my home network from places as far as Beijing or New York City. Would I need a reasonably fast upload speed? What should the minimum upload speed be to obtain optimum results? My upload speed is about 512kb/sec. Thanks!

This is a home, WPA or WPA2 is all you need. You just need to create a discrete key. DO you really think someone is gonna try to hack into your home network?

I'm not too keen to use WPA2 or WPA at home since it seems like you need to use a very long key in order to keep the network safe.
I don't understand what is so bad about that. As long as you don't use dictionary words, it would take forever for someone to brute force your wireless. Why would you not want such security?

I may also want to connect to my home network from places as far as Beijing or New York City. Would I need a reasonably fast upload speed?
depends what you would be connecting to your network for.

Back