Is it possible to record my computer's DVI output externally?

lachdanan

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I have 2 monitors, and 1 GFX card driving both. Is it possible to use a device where I can plug into my GFX card's DVI output to record whatever my GFX card was supposed to display on my monitor?

I am not knowledgeable in this but I found this:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158405CVF

I just want to record say 30/60 fps for whatever is being output by my GFX card.

Does such a thing exist? What are they called?

I also have a laptop that supports HDMI. Can I maybe have a cable from my DVI to HDMI that shows the same image on my laptop and record that?

What cable would that be?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Why do you want an external device to do this? They have software that can record what the monitor displays onto your hard drive. You can send that recording nearly anywhere depending on the software (external hard drive, ftp server, nas, etc..)

yes that device will do what you want but skillz is also right that there is software for that now. unless your pc isn't powerful enough and you need to offload the capture to another pc...

Thanks guys, actually I was gonna use my laptop to offload the capture.

So I am not wrong, I just have to connect my card's DVI or HDMI to an HDMI capture dongle and then connect the USB to my laptop so that it will send the image data to my laptop where I could record it.

One issue that worries me is that the PC has linux only so not sure if these dongles work with linux.

Thanks again.

Back