Is it possible to print to different printers on a home network?

zamardii

2[H]4U
Here's the situation... My girlfriend has her laptop which she needs to print from, but another laptop on the same network has a printer attached directly to it. It is possible to print to that printer through the other laptop? The printer is not connected to the network itself by either network connection, or wireless... It is just connected by USB to the laptop in the other room. Is it possible for my girlfriend to print to that printer without needing to take her laptop into the other room, unplug the printer from the other laptop, and manually plug it in?

Thanks.

If the laptop in the other room is on the network and on, you can just share the printer and add it as a network printer on the other machine.

If the laptop in the other room is on the network and on, you can just share the printer and add it as a network printer on the other machine.

So I would have to get on the laptop that is directly connected to the printer to change it to a network printer?

So I would have to get on the laptop that is directly connected to the printer to change it to a network printer?

If you are in windows right click the printer, click properties, then on the sharing tab click "Share this printer." Simple as that.

If you are in windows right click the printer, click properties, then on the sharing tab click "Share this printer." Simple as that.

and then on the laptop you want to print from- click add new printer, add a network printer, type in the location (\\OtherLaptopsName\PrinterName), done. right click on the new printer icon and select 'use as default printer' or similar.

The computer that has the printer directly attached to it is running Windows XP, and the computer that is connected on the network that we want to print from is running Windows 7. Would there be anything different that I would have to do to make it print?

Does not matter what OS as long as the printer is being shared.

Just add a printer on the laptop and browse to the shared printer.

As long as the other computer is turned on you should be able to print anytime.

if you can't print make sure the computer is turned on and the printer is also turned on.

The computer that has the printer directly attached to it is running Windows XP, and the computer that is connected on the network that we want to print from is running Windows 7. Would there be anything different that I would have to do to make it print?

may require you to download/install Win7 drivers on the Win7 computer, but that's about it.

Back