Is it possible to limit your upload/download bandwidth to specific speeds?

Dew itt right

2[H]4U
I'm clueless when it comes to everything networking so I apologize if this is a stupid question. From my googling I found alot of people suggesting setting different networked PC's to low priority and high priority but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to know if I can limit my PC's upload and download bandwidth to specific speeds. Here's the deal:

Right now we have the "Mega" internet service with speeds of 6000/512 and we can save $15/mo by switching to the ecomony speed which is 1024/128. So I'd like to see if i can't limit my PC to 1024/128 through my router or some other software to see if the speed drop would affect us. My router is a D-Link DIR-655. Any ideas?

You can limit your upload speed with the DIR-655. In the web interface go to the advanced tab, click QOS Engine, uncheck automatic uplink speed, and enter your desired value in manual uplink speed.

To limit download speed you will need a more advanced router.

If you have a spare PC (w/ 2 NICs) laying around and don't mind spending some time working on this, an x86-based router such as pfSense or m0n0wall can limit both upload and download.

Well I am still on a 1500 DSL since I am to far away for 3000. When I started about 10 years ago with 768 DSL if really was great. But these days I find 1500 to be a bit annoying. I almost always have to pause my streaming media and let it buffer and some times HULU's buffer for example isn't large enough to get me through a whole movie and I am talking none HD video. Downloading modern games has to be an overnight thing and with patches getting larger and larger even they end up having to be an over night thing sometimes.

You don't mention what you use your net access for or how many people you share it with, but personally unless you are the only user I really wouldn't recommend even trying to work with a 1024 connection.

For me if I want more then 1500 I either need to get a second DSL line or switch to comcast and I will not switch to comcast unless they give me a whole year free.

If I were in your shoes and needed to save $15 a month I would find another way to do it but if you really want to see how bad it is just follow Oline61's instructions.

Thanks, it's definitely not worth that much time and effort. I was hoping for a quick solution but I guess it's much more complicated than that. I'm fine to stick with the current service, just curious as to the difference. Thanks for you help guys...

Well for most people at home the download speed is the most important and it really isn't that hard to limit.

Again I don't know how your net access is used but just setting your download speed to 1024 should be enough to make you realize you do not want to save that $15 this way. :)

You can download and install Netlimiter http://www.netlimiter.com/download.php its a 28 day free trial, so should see you through enough testing.

However it will only limit the computer you install it on, any other computers connected directly to the router will still be able to use the remaining speed of the line.

Back