Is it possible to limit bandwidth to a user on a router?

Chevy-SS

Limp Gawd

The reason I ask is - I like to play some online games (Battlefield 2 mostly). But my daughter needs the internet connection as well. Is there some way I can tweak the router to reduce her connection speed, so that it does not cause me a lot of lag when playing?

thanks

The reason I ask is - I like to play some online games (Battlefield 2 mostly). But my daughter needs the internet connection as well. Is there some way I can tweak the router to reduce her connection speed, so that it does not cause me a lot of lag when playing?

thanks

Yes, very possible, what router do you have?

Typical home routers, probably no.

Real routers like Cisco or Juniper ones yes.

There are a few simple/cheap ones out there that can do this too. I have a Microtik that has quite a rich suite of traffic management features.

Typical home routers, probably no.

Real routers like Cisco or Juniper ones yes.

There are a few simple/cheap ones out there that can do this too. I have a Microtik that has quite a rich suite of traffic management features.

not to much truth there.

lots of the routers in the last few years have QOS built into them, like the other poster stated we need to know what router it is.

Yeah, and the default firmware on those routers is generally crap. If they can't get something simple like 'make the state table for PAT longer than 1024 entries', I'm pretty sure that implementing a functional QoS that is not just going to bomb when the queues start getting really deep is far beyond them.

A business router like a Cisco/Juniper box or anything based upon the iptables/ipf/OpenBSD pf will be able to do QoS and not fail. Alternatively, the dd-wrt or Tomato firmwares for various consumer router products should have reasonable QoS, although the embedded routers have the disadvantage of slower CPUs (at least with the older generations, like the wrt54g.)

not to much truth there.

lots of the routers in the last few years have QOS built into them, like the other poster stated we need to know what router it is.

QoS yes, but the question was bandwidth control. I've not seen many home routers with features to do bandwidth limits and what is there is pretty limited.

Yeah, and the default firmware on those routers is generally crap. If they can't get something simple like 'make the state table for PAT longer than 1024 entries', I'm pretty sure that implementing a functional QoS that is not just going to bomb when the queues start getting really deep is far beyond them.

A business router like a Cisco/Juniper box or anything based upon the iptables/ipf/OpenBSD pf will be able to do QoS and not fail. Alternatively, the dd-wrt or Tomato firmwares for various consumer router products should have reasonable QoS, although the embedded routers have the disadvantage of slower CPUs (at least with the older generations, like the wrt54g.)

+1, went from a dd-wrt consumer router to a pfsense box because the QoS couldn't keep up, plus HFSC is way better than alt-queues.

To the OP: your router probably has some rudimentary QOS settings. They may or may not work for your situation, you'll have to just try it out.

Back