Is it possible to exclude a SSD from sleeping?

mrkazador

Limp Gawd
I have a media server that runs Windows 7 x64 and have my hard drives to sleep after 1hr. The SSD is used for the operating system only but because of the way windows power options works, the SSD will also go to sleep after 1hr.

Is there a way to exclude the SSD from sleeping? I was thinking of using a program to write a text file every 59mins or so but would like to avoid that if possible.

Set a screensaver that randomly changes a photo image?
Make sure the images aren't stored on one of the other drives you don't want waking up of course.

Set a screensaver that randomly changes a photo image?
Make sure the images aren't stored on one of the other drives you don't want waking up of course.

That seems like it will work, I'm going to try it out. Thanks.

Why would it matter? There is no spin up time. I'd be surprised if it took more than 100ms for it to get back to "ready" state. Actually I be surprised if was only 50ms.

I have an SSD that just serves music, and one of the reasons I did that was because there is no delay from when I hit play and a song plays....no matter if its been weeks since I streamed a song.

When I remote to the server there is a 5-10 second delay before I can do anything useful on the desktop. If I log back in 30mins later it loads up quick and works fine. I assume it has to do with the ssd going to sleep.

so,
you can do a rule into your task schedule , write a word file-notepad, open mp3 file, run video...something to stay alive the ssd
or you can easy to let something to run in background, same, audio, video...to repeat the same file to infinit

You could always go into the power options on the drive and set the spin down time to never. At least I would assume its still the same as a mechanical drive. You can get to this from control panel power options advanced and should be in a drop down from there.

When I remote to the server there is a 5-10 second delay before I can do anything useful on the desktop. If I log back in 30mins later it loads up quick and works fine. I assume it has to do with the ssd going to sleep.

Are there any platters attached to the system? Is there a process open that would access those platters when you log in? That kind of time sounds like a platter spinning up.

Are there any platters attached to the system? Is there a process open that would access those platters when you log in? That kind of time sounds like a platter spinning up.

I have four 2TB hard drives but they only have media(movies, music, family photos), no reason for the OS to access that. The OS is on the SSD only.
Power options spin down affects all drives, I don't think there is a way to manually set each one.

Edit:
so,
you can do a rule into your task schedule , write a word file-notepad, open mp3 file, run video...something to stay alive the ssd
or you can easy to let something to run in background, same, audio, video...to repeat the same file to infinit

This seems to be working for me. I had Task Scheduler run a .bat that writes a small text file to the C:\ drive every hour. I also increased the spin down time to 3 hours.

Last edited:
Back