Is it me or the text on the IPS NEC isn't that good ?!

ead

Limp Gawd
Hi
I am having the NEC 2690 with SIPS and so on
And I don't know, maybe I am spoiled because of EIZO
But, the text isn't that good
What can I do?
And is true that PVA and MPVA and so on, are just better when it come to text ?!

Hi
What can I do?
And is true that PVA and MPVA and so on, are just better when it come to text ?!

Yes, text may be clearer on *VA technology vs IPS panels though it depends on which panels you compare. One thing that usually stands out is that the text is less grainy on *VA panels.

Setting DPI is not always an option if you want to maintain the benefit being able to fit lots of text on screen at the same time.

so
What can I do ?!
I am really thinking of letting it go and get a nice EIZO PVA screen just because of the text thing :confused:

Clearest text you'll get on iMac 24" (and possibly Hazro HZ24Wi) glossy panel with no AG coating. It has H-IPS pixel structure, so text does not look fuzzy as it looks on PVA.

so
What can I do ?!
I am really thinking of letting it go and get a nice EIZO PVA screen just because of the text thing :confused:

Yes, S-PVA is very nice...

Maybe it's something with you're monitor, i don't think theres something wrong about the text on NEC 2690, it's just as good as with TN, if not better. I can't see how the fuzzy pixels on VA screens would make text better.

Like I have said - it isn't bad!
It is just that I want it to be more "sharp" and "clear" :(

It's you. ;)

Defective monitor? My text on my 2490 is completely sharp and clear. Every pixels is crisp and without blur.

Of the 5 monitors I have owned, text has been best on IPS and TNs, the VAs I have owned were problematic, one had blurred text, the other had severly limited backlight control and text was painful to look at.

The biggest change from your previous monitor with regard to text is likely not panel type, but either backlight brightness or pixel pitch change. What was the pixel pitch and backlight spec on your old panel?

amm it isn't defected, I mean photos sure look great !!
But text isn't sharp enough for my taste.

I had a deffective monitor with slight pixel blur (Dell 2007fp), it didn't show up on images. A small 1 pixel blur wont.

Pic from my 2007fp compared to 2405 that didn't blur:
http://i.pbase.com/o4/04/606404/1/59944402.textComp.jpg

That said. I can't imagine how text could be sharper. This NEC has the best text I have seen on 5 monitors I have owned (though tied with my TN screen).

Backlight and Pitch of the older monitor?

Snowdog you got 2490(0.27 p. pitch) and he 2690 (0.28 p.pitch) differences are obvious when it comes to these dots.

I was asking about the difference between his old and new monitor, not between mine and his which I know.

If you move from small pitch to big you may find it pixelated, big to small, you may find it too small.

I am pointing out there are other factors involved. S-IPS vs PVA doesn't seem the likely culprit.

One thing you may want to check that happened to me is the refresh rate.
Not sure what setup you have but I know on my system (DS263 with 8800GTX SLI) after I update the video drivers for some reason the refresh rate would change to 59 and yes the text looked terrible. When I change it back to 60 everything looks fine.

Go to your display properties and check in my case the Nividia Control Panel.

I really prefer text on my NEC 2690, no way I'd consider S-PVA (MVA) being better than H-IPS. Despite all EIZO and Samsung marketing.

Hi
What can I do?

Some of the Eizo monitors have much higher measured contrast ratios. Maybe that's what you're noticing...

However, text on any good LCD should be sharp, unless it is hooked up VGA or the screen is run at a non-native resolution...

I own the Nec 2490 and have the same issue with the text. To make it sharper I increased the sharpness in the menu settings on the monitor.

Has anyone compared the sharpness of web browser text (for example) of the NEC 2490/2690 with the new HP 2475?

I really wonder what people are seeing. I have owned 5 LCDs (2 PVA, 2 IPS, 1 TN) and the text is perfect on my 2490. Here is a font with cleartype OFF. There is no bleed at all. Pixels are completely on or off. This is textbook perfect.

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/4917/macrocropmr6.png
macrocropmr6.png

This is a much better result than my PVAs. The Dell 2405 which actually hurt to look at because the backlight wouldn't go low enough and the Dell 2007FP A00 with a malfunctioning scaler chip that was alway on that blurred the text. It is better than the 3007-HC with tighter dot pitch, heavy AR coating and overcooked back light.

It is acutally just about identical to my TN screen. Both are sharp, clear and easy on the eyes.

Back