• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is it just me or...?

colinstu

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
3,563
Are you surprised by the total lack of new video cards? Or at least anything really ground breaking?

Sure... eyefinity is bugging people, you got nvidia having trouble and chopping down the 470's... that's about it.

I remember the 7 series -> 8 series was quite a leap. And when the 8800GT came out and things got interesting. But... it seems pretty dead about now.
 
I think the problem is that the consoles are stagnating graphic development. PC games can only do so much to boost graphics so you are seeing value added with things like Eyefinity or Nvidia 3D Vision. But there has been progress, I mean the 400 series just came out not that long ago. Things are moving, just maybe not that jump that happened when the 8800 first hit.
 
I expect things to get better in the last half of the year, and hopefully a price war will begin. We all know Nvidia is going to be at the very least releasing a few new cards this summer.
 
I agree with the console ports holding many games back.

If you look at how BAD the textures are on the consoles any more, compared to even last generation video cards, it has nothing on PCs.

Perhaps when the next gen consoles come out, it will help. There are still some cool looking games out there, but yeah.

The last "ground-breaking" game was Crysis, and that was 2007.
 
Are you surprised by the total lack of new video cards? Or at least anything really ground breaking?

On the flip side it's pretty cool being able to have a setup of cards from 2008 that still trade blows with today's top cards.
 
On the flip side it's pretty cool being able to have a setup of cards from 2008 that still trade blows with today's top cards.

I just wish they'd be able to pack all that power into a single chip that uses no more then 200w load.

If we've hit a limit on how cool/realistic games can be... and high res systems like eyefinity and lots of AA being a lame idea... might as well try to max out everything else then, with a relatively cool running card/lower power.

That's what I'm waiting for really. Sure, the GTX285 looked cool, then the 5870 blew everything out of the water, and then the new nvidia cards are questionable but heat crazy and expensive...

I'm only running 1920x1200 right now, but in the future if I ever make the step to 2560x1600, I'd like the card that could run that res, 16xAA, max rest of the graphics, and never go below 60fps. Since games don't seem like they'll be getting much better :(
 
Huh? Some people around here think that multi-monitor gaming is damn near revolutionary. And there was a nice leap in performance by both AMD and nVidia with their current generation cards compared to the prior generation.
 
Back
Top