Is it Firefox or is it Flash?

octoberasian

2[H]4U
(I'm going with Flash being the culprit, but read on...)

So, on my laptop-- a Lenovo y510p-- I have Waterfox 27 installed. (Waterfox because it doesn't crash when it uses over 3GB of RAM.)

For some reason, fullscreen Youtube videos (both HTML5 and Flash) or other websites, or non-fullscreen videos stutter while streaming or fully buffered. I have tried enabling and disabling hardware acceleration in both Firefox and Flash, but the videos still stutter. It's only when I download the videos and play them back in Media Player HomeCinema that the videos play smoothly. Even with HTML5 enabled for Youtube, the MP4 videos stutter while streaming, but not as badly as when Flash is enabled.

Also, this has also happened in Firefox 27 and 28, and Firefox 29 Beta. I'd switch to Chrome, but that browser stutters and locks up like crazy when loading.

The laptop has Windows 8.1, updated, still the default installation that came with the laptop with a good majority of the Lenovo crapware uninstalled with the RAM recently upgraded to 12GB (4GB+8GB modules). This is also using the latest updated version of Flash.

Does it happen if you use the other video card?
I haven't tested it with the Intel HD graphics since 1.) that isn't installed and 2.) involves removing the second 750M card in the Ultrabay. The second card is rather difficult to remove for some reason. I tried to remove it when installing the new memory but it wouldn't come out.

I could give it a try later.

Back