Is it even possible to build a gaming machine for $3000 AUS?

vl_turbo

n00b
I've ordered dells 30 inch screen which cost me $2000 AUS. Now I just need the box. Now the way I see it $3000 is nothing!!

-nVidia 8800 GTX $1000
-Dual core CPU $ 1000+ ?
-Motherboard $ 600

...don't forget about the power supply, RAM, HDD, keyboard mouse + everything else!

This computer is going to cost me over $5000!! :mad:

I want this computer to last 2 years, so I need to get good things now to help the long run...

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!

Save more money. Or return the monitor for a smaller one. Or buy cheap parts for a few weeks until you can upgrade them.

I've ordered dells 30 inch screen which cost me $2000 AUS. Now I just need the box. Now the way I see it $3000 is nothing!!

-nVidia 8800 GTX $1000
-Dual core CPU $ 1000+ ?
-Motherboard $ 600

...don't forget about the power supply, RAM, HDD, keyboard mouse + everything else!

This computer is going to cost me over $5000!! :mad:

I want this computer to last 2 years, so I need to get good things now to help the long run...

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!

Well buying an enormous screen like that definately isnt the way to go if you want longevity with the rest of your setup. Dont quote me on this but I think you may even struggle to run games decently at the native res on a single 8800 gtx, and the problem only gets worse as newer games push the graphical envelope. Its fine if you are one of these people who can afford to buy new SLI cards every 6 months or so, but otherwise its just silly.

My new rig which I hope to build soon is budgeted for $3000 and that includes a Stacker 830, abit 680i board, 2 gigs of dominator ram, E6600 and WD Raptor HDDs. In terms of my display, I will be sticking to my handy 19" CRT which can display resolutions beyond 1080P.

IMHO the best way to maintain longevity is to use a CRT because as more demanding games come out you can just dial down the resolution to a level that provides you with acceptable performance. This isnt exactly an option if you have a massive 30" LCD and do not want to upgrade your video card setup every 6 months.

-nVidia 8800 GTX $1000
-Dual core CPU $ 1000+ ?
-Motherboard $ 600

Dont get an Extreme Core Duo, Just get a core 2 duo e6400 or 6600 and o/c it, you just saved 500-600 bucks there. Dont get a motherboard that costs 600bucks, its so unneccessary. If your worried about spending the amount your looking at now your gonna have to make sacrifices.

Also your thread title is ridiculous, of course its possible, just dont waste ALL your money on the monitor.

Dont get an Extreme Core Duo, Just get a core 2 duo e6400 or 6600 and o/c it, you just saved 500-600 bucks there. Dont get a motherboard that costs 600bucks, its so unneccessary. If your worried about spending the amount your looking at now your gonna have to make sacrifices.

Also your thread title is ridiculous, of course its possible, just dont waste ALL your money on the monitor.
He's talking about AUS, which $1000 in AUS isn't the Extreme Core Duo u think he is talking about.

Damn, stuff in AU is expensive but here, straight from Dell:

Q240121 - Dell XPS(TM) 710 Core(TM)2 Duo Processor Desktop
1 3,181.00 3,181.00
Date 16/01/2007 04:17 PM
Catalog Number 524220
Base System XPS(TM) 710 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor E6600 1

(2.4GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
Operating System Genuine Windows(R) XP Media Center Edition 2005 1

Genuine Windows(R) XP Media Center Edition 2005 (English) Media

Google Software
Dell Warranty & Support Services 1-year XPS Premier Service 1

1 Year Priority PC User 24x7 Support (Round-The-Clock Technical Assistance)

24x7 Telephone Technical Support Hotline: 1300-790-877
Limited Time Offer 4 (For Online Orders Only) Free Delivery
Limited Time Offer 5 (For Online Orders Only) Free upgrade from 20" Ultrasharp FP to 24" Ultrasharp FP Monitor
Limited Time Offer 1 Free upgrade from 1GB to 2GB memory
Remarks Discount is only valid if the corresponding upgraded item is selected above. 1
Limited time promotional offer only. No further discounts apply 1
Memory 2GB (2X1GB) NECC Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz SDRAM Memory 1
Video Card 256MB PCIe(TM) x16 NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 7900GS w/TV-Out and Dual DVI 1

Adapter for Dual Monitor (DVI-to-VGA)
Floppy Drive & Card Reader No Floppy Drive and Media Card Reader
Keyboards Dell(TM) USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard with built-in 2-port USB Hub 1
Mouse Dell(TM) Optical USB Mouse 1
Display 24" UltraSharp(TM) Wide Screen Flat Panel LCD Monitor (Analog & DVI) 1

For Dimension(TM) Monitor Only
Hard Drive 250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with Native Command Queuing 1
Optical Drives Dual Drives 16X Max DVD-ROM + 16X DVD+/-RW with Dual Layer Write Capabilities 1

16X Max DVD-ROM Drive

16X DVD+/-RW with Dual Layer Write Capabilities

Roxio Creator LE and Roxio MyDVD LE

4.7GB DVD+R Blank Media (1 pc)
Sound Card Sound Blaster(R) X-Fi XtremeMusic (D) 1

Audio Plug
Speakers Dell(TM) A525 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer (ANZ) 1
Modems No Modem
Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.5 - OEM version 1

Word Processor/Spreadsheet/Database/Calendar/Powerpoint viewer/Email Tools
Security Software McAfee(R) Security Center(TM) - 15 Months OEM (30 days Helpdesk included)

McAfee(R) Security Center(TM) - 15 Months OEM

30 Days HelpDesk (Software, Virus, Spyware & Peripherals)

Enhanced 15mths McAfee NOW includes Dell's 30-day HelpDesk

(Live software & virus phone support) worth $40
Network Assistant Dell(TM) Network Assistant - 90 days Trial 1
Items included in the System System Drive CD Kit 1
Integrated Gigabit Ethernet 1
AOL 3-Month Internet Offer 1
Freight Charges Dimension(TM) Handling & Insurance Charges(Australia) 1
Others Shipping Documentations 1

Mod Specs Info (Australia)

Total

Before Tax 3,181.00
GST - Australia - 10% 318.10
Total Amount AUD 3,499.10

It has the 24" instead of the 30", but that leaves you 1500 AU to spend on something else, I'd suggest the 8800GTX and sell the 7900GS that it comes with to someone. Now if you want to build your PC, post some Australian websites that we can suggest components from so we know prices.

He's talking about AUS, which $1000 in AUS isn't the Extreme Core Duo u think he is talking about.

Im from Australia, $1000 and it might as well be an Extreme Core Duo. Especially when you can have an e6400 or e6600 for 300-400 bucks.

In reference to the above post, I don't think he should buy from Dell, as it seems like he has been planning on building this thing himself, and even so, you can get better, cheaper, elsewhere.

Im from Australia, $1000 and it might as well be an Extreme Core Duo. Especially when you can have an e6400 or e6600 for 300-400 bucks.

In reference to the above post, I don't think he should buy from Dell, as it seems like he has been planning on building this thing himself, and even so, you can get better, cheaper, elsewhere.

Hyperblau, have you heard of the shop called MSY. I'm going to purchase from them. I've cancled my order for the 30 inch from dell and just getting a 24 inch (for now). I will be building this computer myself (with the help of a friend). Now because Iv'e saved $1000 already from not getting the 30 incher =( I can use that for more important things. But guys seriously look at my computer right now.. IT'S SAD OMFG!

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00Ghz
Motherboard: GIGABYTE RZ Series
Memory: 512 MB
Monitor: 17 inch from Polyview (lcd)
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (omg lol)
HDD: Single 80 GB

This computer is 3 years old I think. I havn't even upgraded the drivers because I don't think they make them haha. It's a POS. I realy want a gaming computer. And I'm just starting to get into computers, and with so many brands of product out there is real confusing. Wish me luck on my new computer!

I have heard bad things about MSY, personally i buy from www.pcmaniacs.com.au, they have been very good for me so far. I think you should check out the whirlpool.net.au forums, sign up there and post in the PC Hardware thread, they are nice people there and will be able to help you out, especially with buying online from australian shops.

I have heard bad things about MSY, personally i buy from www.pcmaniacs.com.au, they have been very good for me so far. I think you should check out the whirlpool.net.au forums, sign up there and post in the PC Hardware thread, they are nice people there and will be able to help you out, especially with buying online from australian shops.

Thanks alot ^_-

Not reading the whole thread, why not get two 24" monitors of two 20" monitors?

I use a 24" widescreen monitor and a 20" non-widescreen monitor on one pc, a 17" widescreen (laptop) 'monitor' and a 20" non-widescreen monitor on another pc, a 20" widescreen and a 19" non-widescreen on another pc, and two 17" non-widescreen crts on another.

Gets me by.

Not reading the whole thread, why not get two 24" monitors of two 20" monitors?

I use a 24" widescreen monitor and a 20" non-widescreen monitor on one pc, a 17" widescreen (laptop) 'monitor' and a 20" non-widescreen monitor on another pc, a 20" widescreen and a 19" non-widescreen on another pc, and two 17" non-widescreen crts on another.

Gets me by.

Dual monitors aren't really viable/necessary on a game machine.

-nVidia 8800 GTX $1000
-Dual core CPU $ 1000+ ?
-Motherboard $ 600

Shop around a bit. I've seen 8800GTXs for $850. Though I've also seen them for $1150, so you're not doing too bad ;) . You can get an E6600 for $450. You're probably not going to see enough performance gain to justify the cost beyond that. I'd say you're almost certainly flushing $300 down the toilet on that motherboard... And most of the other stuff - speakers, keyboard, mouse, optical drives - is dirt cheap as long as you can live without anything too fancy. You should definitely come up well short of $3000.

Back