Is it dead?

CBR

I Show Old Ladies My Dick Wrappers
About and hour ago, my computer was running just fine, albeit a little loud. Being that temperatures are dropping and my average case temps have been about 20C (its usually about 60F in my house, just the way I like) I decided to take a couple of the fans out. I had 4 front intake, and 2 rear exhaust. I wanted to take it down to 2 intake and 2 exhaust to cut down on the noise.

So I take the side panel off, and the front panel, then take out the fans. I straightened up some wiring and put it all back together again. I plugged everything into the back and pressed the power button, nothing. All I got was NIC lights. The onboard flashed (I dont use onboard) and the PCI NIC card lights stayed on. So I take it apart and see if theres anything wrong, check the power connectors etc, nothing.

I take it apart again and remove every non-essential device. All that was there was RAM, CPU, motherboard, HSF, and power supply. Still didn't get anything, not so much as a beep.

I dont know whats causing the problem. It was working fine, all I did was take out two fans. What could be causing this? Is the motherboard dead, or is it the processor?

Specs:
A64 2800+ Newcastle
Epox 8KDA3I
2x512MB Corsair Value Select
Ati 9600XT
Antec Smarter Power 1.3 350W
80GB Seagate, 40GB Maxtor
DVD+RW DL drive
CD-RW drive

Until I figure this out, I'm stuck on my P3 800, with 192MB of RAM and a failing HDD. :(

Well, usually nothing going on is a symptom of no power, or a bad mobo.

Bad mobo's are usually very easy to spot, as the msot common problem is that the capacitors start to go bad. When they do, they bulge, pop, and leak. Check the mobo for any signs of visible damage.

also, even though you've already done it once, recheck everything. Make sure power is being supplied not just to the board, but to the CPU also. Make sure nothing is out of place, bios battery, jumpers, screws, etc.

Also, if your case has a power switch that won't let it turn on if the case is open (retarded, I know, but I've seen it before) that could be the case (unlikely however).

Lastly, but the most likely problem in my opinion, that for whatever purpose, your computer needs those fans to run. It could be a security reason so if the fans become unplugged accidentally, the computer won't cook itself. I'd connect it back how it was originally, and see if it runs. I'm betting it will.

Just rechecked and got nothing again. Not even any beeps. :(

The 30 day Newegg warranty ended just 8 days ago, too. I am still clueless as to how this happened. All I did was take out 2 fans, all of which are using molex from the power supply, none go through the motherboard.

If your board is not a Refurb, you can RMA it through newegg still. I RMA'ed my 7800GTX 2 months after I purchased it.

To me, it sounds like you might not have carefully grounded yourself and you accidentally shorted out your mobo while you were removing the fans...

PWMK2 said:
To me, it sounds like you might not have carefully grounded yourself and you accidentally shorted out your mobo while you were removing the fans...

He wouldnt even have touched the motherboard...

Reset the cmos if you havent.

Try a different PSU (even if its a crappy one) just to see if the computer can turn on.

Tengis said:
He wouldnt even have touched the motherboard...

Reset the cmos if you havent.

Try a different PSU (even if its a crappy one) just to see if the computer can turn on.
Solid advice. When you reset the CMOS, remember to pull the plug on your PSU as it supplies standby power to the MoBo even when the system is off. I had a system that was dead as a hammer, so after working on it for an hour and getting frustrated with it, I pulled the power, pulled the CMOS battery and went to bed. Tried it in the AM and.....it fired right up....:cool:. And, of course try a new PSU.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

I had the same thing happen to me last night. My roomate had just got done trying WoW and i was about to log in and get my nightly dose, when my system froze up. I restarted and got a beep code, this has happen a couple other times and usually if i turn off the system and unplug it for a shot time it would start right up. Needless to say I think my Mobo went. I used this as an excuse to buy my new system. :D :D When i get home today im almost willing to bet if I replace the mobo it will work just fine.

Back