Is it dead?

Solar

Limp Gawd
Well I just finished building my new SUGO and I was all excited to welcome myself into a new era of computing when I notice that my second hard drive was reporting a temperature of 0 degrees celsius. I know i don't have watercooling or phase change, so I checked windows explorer ans sure enough the drive was gone from there too.15 minutes later I'm listening to the drive next to my ear and it's not spinning up :eek: with the rest of the drives on boot. I got off the phone with Seagate and they suggested either RMA or data recovery. BTW the drive in question is a 7200.10 320 GB SATA. I'm about to go into finals week and I have important meetings with faculty. I feel like I'm the tolken story that get played off as an excuse "my hard drive failed, yeah the one with all of my papers on it" but right now its looking that way. I've only had this bad boy for four months :mad:

Tell me is there anyting I can do to revive a drive that will not spin up? Aside from data recovery ($350 minimum) is there another way to get my drive to play nice again?

um well first you wanna go into the disk management tool, to see if its in there.

thats control panel > admin tools > computer management. if you look near the bottom of the explorer tree there, there is a option called disk management. if it isnt in there, then to the bios, to see if it is showing up there. if it isnt showing up in bios, moving it to a different connector or cable, or change the cs/slave/master jumpers may fix that. sometimes just looking at it will scare it into working, ive had that happen a few times helpin people in the dorms

If you can't get it to spin, the only real option is a data recovery company. Hope the data's importance can justify the cost though.

Solar said:
7200.10 320 GB SATA. I've only had this bad boy for four months :mad:

I hope that it isn't a perpendicular technology problem... I'm using that drive as the basis for my HA fileserver(s). Suddenly my mind is filled with doubt :(

hokatichenci said:
I hope that it isn't a perpendicular technology problem... I'm using that drive as the basis for my HA fileserver(s). Suddenly my mind is filled with doubt :(
*One* report of drive failure, and you run for the hills? Jeez. I'm surprised you still use *any* hard drives at that rate :p

There were rumors on the internet that Seagate had a bad batch of drives that were exposed in an unclean area but instead of tossing them they tested them and made sure they spun up, packed them, and sold them at reduced cost. At first the hard drive will work normally but overtime the hard drive will crystallize and take all your data with it.

I'll be honest with you, its just a rumor from what I understand but I also have a Seagate 320GB 7200.10 PRT...which is acting funny as well. 3min+ boot up times, random lag and errors...

This is my first and most likely my last Seagate hard drive. I should of never betrayed WD.

I have 9 320GB 7200.10's. The ONLY problem I have had was due to newegg's perpetually shitty HDD packaging.

Martyr said:
um well first you wanna go into the disk management tool, to see if its in there.

The drive does not show up in the disk management utility. Also whenever I plug in the suspect, while the system is on, the drive that is on the same chain as it will powercycle when I plug it in. Is that normal?

Dew said:
I have 9 320GB 7200.10's. The ONLY problem I have had was due to newegg's HDD packaging.

Its funny that you say that, because when I received them, the static bag for one had been punctured leaving a few minor (now I wonder how minor it was) scratches... I knew I should have refused to use that one when they first came.

These drives have 5 year warranties, thats why I chose them over the WD 320's. I remember reading an Anandtech article comparing Seagates best to WD's best and the performance seemed to come out even with Seagate pulling ahead for the win (in the review) as a result of the warranty service.

unhappy_mage said:
*One* report of drive failure, and you run for the hills? Jeez. I'm surprised you still use *any* hard drives at that rate :p

I'm just always very paranoid about new technology, and I hold my disks very close to my heart. These will also be my first Seagate drives so I'm also a little wary... the last time I betrayed WD I went Maxtor and like half the drives failed. All in all I'm just a little Western Digital whore :D

Oh and I suppose that as long as I don't have a multi-node multi-disk drive failure, the whole thing should work out fine. Estimating about $1000 for 320gb of storage without even buying into RAID though is digging deep into my pockets...

Solar said:
Its funny that you say that, because when I received them, the static bag for one had been punctured leaving a few minor (now I wonder how minor it was) scratches... I knew I should have refused to use that one when they first came.

Heh, one drive CRUSHED the electronics of the other and the one that did the crushing is physically fine, but unrecognized by three different controllers.

I've never really had an affinity to any single drive company becasue the drive which I used from WD, Seagate, and Maxtor never failed on me (*knocks on wood praying the others don't die). Also the thing that sucks about it is this, I ran a surface test on the drive about a week ago, and it came up clean. It just straight up died... how does that happen and why do I have to pay money to fix a manufactures mistake to a level I consider satisfactory?

Back