is it called "water cooling" ?

Wesley1357

Limp Gawd
can someone please explain? if they (intel and amd and others) are having problem making faster processors because of heat why not use water cooling?

1) Too Expensive 2) Too Expensive
Plus the average Computer User probably would not like the idea of water in his case. probably...fear of leaks frying everything or the pump breaking down

i understand, i don't like the water idea either. but, if it's quieter why not. and about price, we buy the expensive speakers, expensive keyboards and mouses, expensive cases, expensive power supplies, why not the expensive cooler?

Some people do buy the expesnive coolers and overclock....its just not for the average user who wants a fast CPU. Too much danger probably involved with running water for the average consumer who wants a fast computer but doesn't know much about computers in general to deal with......

Maybe there are larger issues than just heat involved with pushing CPU speeds higher......

At some point someone, probably Intel, will finally create a fool proof small self contained watercooling solution for commercial mainstream use.

One of the things I reckon that'll be crucial will be the fundamental link between the watercooling 'health' and the PCs awareness of that health. i.e. if ANY component fails, the PC will know about it and shutdown etc.

Cost is still a big factor though, and right now heat pipe and thermo syphon techonology is getting pretty damn competitive to watercooling.

I think what we'll realistically see happen first (and what must happen first) is that the VAST majority of overclocking enthusiasts are using a watercooling solution by default. Until the enthusiasts take it up, the mainstream users will have to wait.

133 said:
1 word

maintance

QFT...That is why I am selling my h2o setup. It was a fun to play around with, but I am to busy to devote some of the time needed and I am not OC'ing much on my current rig..

spine said:
I think what we'll realistically see happen first (and what must happen first) is that the VAST majority of overclocking enthusiasts are using a watercooling solution by default. Until the enthusiasts take it up, the mainstream users will have to wait.

That's assuming that processors will continue to get hotter. The next batch of processor will be cooler. I think that in the future, the last few years of super hot CPUs will be an aberration.

GPUs are still getting hotter, but since they tend to lag behind the CPUs in process technology, I'm betting they too will become cooler over time.

didn't some mac systems come with water cooling by default? but yeah, definately cause of price and danger to the system... every website you try to buy wcing gear from has a disclaimer saying that it is dangerous for your pc to be running water cooling.

Ive had one Water Cooling setup fail on me once where one of the Tubes burst, Luckily for me the tube burst near the bottom of the case harming no hardware. But it almost fried my CPU when all the water drained out.

Maintenance is the key, of course. Joe Shmoe Dell user doesn't want to be going anywhere near his computer with any kind of water, nor should he do so. Heatpipe technology and cooler processors are the wave of the future; H2O cooling will never become more than the niche market it is now.

at first i thought "water cooling" the cpu meant using chilled water to cool the cpu but i was pretty disappointed to find out they use radiators :(

you can get water chillers that use a TEC to chill the water that runs through the system... i think asetek has one or something like that.

Back