• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Is it bad when

Vediovus

Gawd
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
698
I can make the high pitched whine coming from my probably overloaded PSU change tones by pausing the gpu client or closing the smp client? :D Probably time to pull the trigger on that 550w Corsair I've been eyeing.
 
Shut it down NOW and get a new power supply before it takes out your motherboard/CPU and/or your video card
 
You say that like you've never fried hardware for folding.
Burn baby burn.

What is your current system spec?
 
X3 8450@2.55, 8800GT, 2gb ram on a crappy ecs mobo. I used the psu calculator here for s&g and it came up at 308w. I know they aren't the most accurate things in the world, but still even if it was off by 30w, I'd still be under 80% capacity of my Earthwatts 430. Maybe its rma time.
 
I use an earthwatts 430 for a Q6600 @ 3GB, 4MB ram and a 8800GT-256MB with a GPU2 client and an SMP client. No problem and no noise.

I also use a Q6600 @ 3GHz, 8800GT-512MB and 8GB on a shuttle 400w 80plus.
Also GPU2 and SMP

The 430 is plenty for that config.
You may have a bad one.
 
Are you sure the sound is coming from you PSU?

I've got a 8800GT that as soon as I start up the folding program is whines (super high pitched and loud) the more I OC it the pitch goes higher.

I just moved it from my main case to the wifes to see if it was the PSU after reading your thread..... its not. I have an antec 430 in there and the same sound from my main rig. :mad:

 
Yeah I shut it down. Its a shame cause the bulk of my points come from it. What are the chances antec will advance ship me a new psu?

edit: After reading Kendraks post i went in the case, and it is the video card. I assumed PSU since I had one make a similar noise on me just before it blew up on me
 
Hmm I have a 380 EarthWatts running a Q6600 and 8800GT, no issues at all. :)

Probably pushing that PSU to its limits through... I estimated it at about 200 watts...

 
Back
Top