Is is worth to upgrade my i7 5820k to a Broadwell-E CPU?

Currently looking for an upgrade on my PC and I was considering purchasing either a i7 6900k or even the i7 6950x, though it is expensive but cost isn't really an issue for me. My i7 5820k has served me well and I was wondering if spending over $1000 for a CPU is worth the cost.

My current specs are below:

i7 5820k OC to 4.2Ghz
ASUS Rampage Extreme V
32GB G.Skill 2400Mhz DDR4 Ripjaws 4
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce OC in SLI

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The answer to this heavily depends on what you are doing with your computer. General consensus seems to say:

• Gaming: Favors higher clocks on fewer cores - most modern games max out at 4 cores, so anything beyond that is, for the most part, wasted.
  • Content Creation: Depending on the software/content, you could be using every available core. If this is the case, and you need to shave your render times, then the 6950x could be a decent buy, but I seriously doubt you'd get your money's worth over a 6900k. And honestly, if you're creating content and need CPU cores, you should probably look at a Xeon.
If you are using your rig just for gaming and general computing, then there's no way I would advise an 8-core CPU. If you really want those extra cores, I'd advise either a 5930k or a 6850k.

Edit: Take a look at this video if you still need some help deciding: Benchmarking the $1000 i7 6900K Behemoth

I tend to use Winrar a lot to compress or extract a lot of files, and some video and audio decoding. I also do gaming as well.

Back