is IDE dead?

darw_n

[H]ard|Gawd
sorry if this s slight doublepost, but I want to mobo answers too....

are we being forced to dump all our IDE drives for SATA?

I have a crap load of ide drives, and all the decent mobo's out there have maybye one ide port, and at least 2 sata.

I have no sata drives, and 6 ide drives, and 2 optical drives.

have you all been dumping your ide drives? or is there a solution out there I don't know about?

the board I got is Asus -P4C800-E DELUXE

ide is dead in the same sense pci was "dead" when agp came out. Hundreds of boards will still have IDE interfaces just the same as almost every board today (even with PCI-e and PCI-x and AGP and USB and FireWire) has at least one old school pci slot. fear not tho, garunteed that even if boards stop supporting ide, you'll still be able to get controller cards...

The hard drive market is going full throttle into SATA at this point (SATA 2 is already on the way). Unfortunately ribbon cables are still the standard for optical drives, which is probably the primary reason old IDE will be kept around for awhile yet (aside from general legacy purposes). If you want to keep alot IDE drives around with the newest boards you'll probably want to look into PCI controller cards for them.

There are also SATA to PATA adaptors that allow you to connect a regular IDE drive to a SATA port on a motherboard. I don't know how reliable they are but it is another option if you absolutely cannot replace your drives. I feel your pain though, I have the P4P800 Deluxe and have been slowly phasing out the ide drives for SATAs.

There is hope, however it is dieing. Pick up an IDE controller card, you can put like 3 drives onto the smaller ones, and they are fairly cheap. However if you want the raid option be prepared to pay for it.

eide is slowly dying for hard drives. but I see it staying around for quite some time for cd drives and the like.. I have only seen a very few sata cd drives.. Infact I think I've only seen 1. I'm sure there are more though, and that in time cd drive makers will transition over to sata.. But, IMHO eide ports are going to be around on new mobos for a number of years..

wtf, what mainstream HD's have SATA hookups these days? I can't find any

I'll tell you why SATA is gaining popularity, it's because people are too fvcking stupid to jumper drives :mad:

oh, so SATA drives are jumperless? is that the only difference, or are they faster, or something?

SATA rules... It supports faster transmission rates (150Mbps for SATA 1 or 300Mbps SATA 2). Drives are jumperless as was already mentioned. Best of all, it uses a new kind of cabling...SATA cables are small and thin, and are infinitely better than those bulky old ribbon cables. Theres lots of other technical differences, but these are the highlights. :cool:

LOL in my spare computer parts bin Im overflowing with SATA CABLES more like 15+ cables. But I cant find a single IDE Cable when i need one.. :D

Cyber Dog said:
SATA rules... It supports faster transmission rates (150Mbps for SATA 1 or 300Mbps SATA 2). Drives are jumperless as was already mentioned. Best of all, it uses a new kind of cabling...SATA cables are small and thin, and are infinitely better than those bulky old ribbon cables. Theres lots of other technical differences, but these are the highlights. :cool:

I've got about a terabyte of storage in my personal desktop, and if I had to use ribbon cables for my hard disks I think I'd need a mallet and a blow torch just to close the case. :D Not to mention the lack of air circulation would probably cause a meltdown.

Cyber Dog said:
I've got about a terabyte of storage in my personal desktop, and if I had to use ribbon cables for my hard disks I think I'd need a mallet and a blow torch just to close the case. :D Not to mention the lack of air circulation would probably cause a meltdown.

lmaol

Jasonx82 said:
LOL in my spare computer parts bin Im overflowing with SATA CABLES more like 15+ cables. But I cant find a single IDE Cable when i need one.. :D
agreed!

and another thing about sata drives.. they have a new power plug that also has a 3.3v line going into it. if you can find an sata->molex adapter, you can run fans at either 12v, 8.7v, 7v, 5v, or 3.3v (probably lower than most fans will start at though) :D

Back