is hl2 a good game?

If you look in the upper middle part of this page, there is a seach function. That might help you.

as a single player experience, i thought it was absolutely phenomenal (sp). There were many times where i felt so immersed and the adrenaline would rush and i'd be frantic looking for a place to dodge into for a quick second and ... i personally love it. i don't care about all the people in the forums who whine about being connected to steam to play personally cuz i'm always connected well anyway. you definitely have a system to enjoy it on, so make that system work a bit.

tranCendenZ said:
its a good game, but its technical flaws (stuttering, crashing, etc) really bring the game experience down
i had no problems other than sound stuttering which never really bothered me. so not everyone get errors, just a little sound stuttering when you save or it autosaves

btw best sp ever

ARN said:
i had no problems other than sound stuttering which never really bothered me. so not everyone get errors, just a little sound stuttering when you save or it autosaves

btw best sp ever

grats your not getting problems, but if you look at the steam forums you will see there are massive amount of people who are

heres a ss for ya:

78-untitled.jpg

and i havent really gotten stuttering anymore, after i added a spare stick of 256mb ram to my 512.

..IMHO hl2 isnt/wasnt that wonderful as a game on its own, but when compared to all the other trash out there it's a pretty good game, err, 'experience', as people like to say these days....however, I suppose my view is biased in that I have played A LOT of PC games, watched and participated in the whole 3d card evolution, and it's all starting to look and feel the same to me...D3 was a waste of 3 cds when 1cd would have been enough for this 'tech demo' othey called a game..Farcry is good in that the AI actually works most of the time, but watching your enemies shooting into the ground got a bit dull when the game was first released..forget its MP, unless u like slo, awkward to control fpses..As for hl2, no ammount of driving, simple puzzle-solving or OK graphics can can fix linear game-play, which doesnt matter if u like linear game-play...as for CS:S...'forget aboud it' as some in the US say...
..so go ahead, buy it, despite what I may think, YOU should like this game as its competition is virtually non-existent....I mean, what else are you going to do with your expensive hardware, run 3dbloodymark ten million times?

Is hl2 a good game?
The simple answer is yes.
But it's a purely subjective question. It's like asking; Is sushi good? Some will say it's phenomenal, others will say it's bait.
I thought it was a good game and enjoyable. But that's my opinion, and that's what it looks like you are looking for; people's opinion.
It's going to depend on your computers capability to play it also. You need a pretty decent rig to play it with all the eye candy. It won't be going on sale anytime soon, unlike Doom3 which you can get on Amazon for 29.99 now. Cheap Doom
I think it's a good game, to give a really long winded answer.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i enjoyed it alot. if you liked the first, you should be pretty pleased with the way the game turned out.

ivansoze said:
..IMHO hl2 isnt/wasnt that wonderful as a game on its own, but when compared to all the other trash out there it's a pretty good game, err, 'experience', as people like to say these days....however, I suppose my view is biased in that I have played A LOT of PC games, watched and participated in the whole 3d card evolution, and it's all starting to look and feel the same to me...D3 was a waste of 3 cds when 1cd would have been enough for this 'tech demo' othey called a game..Farcry is good in that the AI actually works most of the time, but watching your enemies shooting into the ground got a bit dull when the game was first released..forget its MP, unless u like slo, awkward to control fpses..As for hl2, no ammount of driving, simple puzzle-solving or OK graphics can can fix linear game-play, which doesnt matter if u like linear game-play...as for CS:S...'forget aboud it' as some in the US say...
..so go ahead, buy it, despite what I may think, YOU should like this game as its competition is virtually non-existent....I mean, what else are you going to do with your expensive hardware, run 3dbloodymark ten million times?

What's good then? How about UT2004? Painkiller? Tribes:Vengeance? (edit: Holy crap I bought a lot of shooters this year) Or do these suck too? If so, dunno....Uh... you should stop playing fps if you hate them so much. I enjoyed all the ones in both my post and yours.

I think it was a great game, but as others have said you're going to get a wide range of answers if you ask "is game X a good game?" It gets even more heated over a big name title like Half Life 2.

I'll put it this way: I've played Doom 3, Far Cry, and Half Life 2 over the past few months. I loved them all but of the three Half Life 2 was the one that I had the biggest urge to go and play again.

I'd give HL2 a solid 9

FarCry gets an 8 but the 1.3 patch bumps it up to an 8.5

Doom3 gets a very "Meh." 6 - It was a gorgeous game with great technical features, but the gameplay was way too repetitive. As a remake of the original Doom, though, it gets a 9. They captured and updated the feel of the original, much the same way Valve did with HL2.

Summary of Half-Life 2

Great graphics

Amazing atmosphere

Phenomenal physics engine

Uninspired story (It truly does parallel the original Mario..."Sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle...please go *insertplacehere* and meet up with *insertnamehere*"

Disappointingly simplistic AI

Uninspired vehicle segments (They really have no point)

Multiplayer...eh...Counterstrike doesn't do it for me (Levels are too small) and HLDM just seems a bit silly. Infinite modification potential...

hl1 gets a -3
hl2 gets a -2
farcry gets a 8
doom3 gets a 9
UT2K4 gets a 9
BF1942 gets a 9
tribes gets a 8
vampire gets a 8
DOOM1 and 2 get a 10

new games no released
Unreal3 get a 9 maybe a 10
Stalker gets a 9
the new crytek game..whatever it is..gets a 8
all newer games not made by valve get a 8 to 10

hl2 = beta engine. :D

[RIP]Zeus said:
hl1 gets a -3
hl2 gets a -2
farcry gets a 8
doom3 gets a 9
UT2K4 gets a 9
BF1942 gets a 9
tribes gets a 8
vampire gets a 8
DOOM1 and 2 get a 10

new games no released
Stalker gets a 9

Wow, look who is ripping on Half-Life again.

[RIP]Zeus said:
hl1 gets a -3
hl2 gets a -2
farcry gets a 8
doom3 gets a 9
UT2K4 gets a 9
BF1942 gets a 9
tribes gets a 8
vampire gets a 8
DOOM1 and 2 get a 10

new games no released
Stalker gets a 9

Man, someone has a violent anti-Valve bias.

If you're trying to make a decision on this game (or any other big name title) here's my advice: ignore the segment of people who rave that the game is the second coming and the group that seems to violently hate either HL2 or Valve and you'll get a pretty good group of opinions to go by.

sorry but thread originator? you are a goof, especially listening to a bunch of forum weenies asking about personal opinion.

go get it and see why it's good! nuff said!

I just started playin this game.... put it off because of Steam, but I couldn't resist when Best Buy lowered the price to 39.99. Anyway, the game is worth putting up with, even when you have to deal with Steam. The game is awesome. HL2 and Far Cry are at the top of my FPS list.

HL2 to me made me play it none stop until it was over

one of the few games that actually do that to me

saying that , i wont touch it again apart from the dm

if you want to waste 15 hours of your life on a pc - go ahead , its worth it

wickfut said:
HL2 to me made me play it none stop until it was over

one of the few games that actually do that to me

saying that , i wont touch it again apart from the dm

if you want to waste 15 hours of your life on a pc - go ahead , its worth it

i just got done playing it through a second time.. so im up to 30 hours

HL2 was an awesome game, and I don't understand why some people think FarCry was so Friggin cool. Yeah, it was fun and there were alot of cool things in it, but they only made it LOOK like you could get to your objective from any path. ever try going out to sea or off course in a boat a little bit? the AI would sic 2-3 attack copters on you. FC was way more linear than HL2, and felt a whole lot more linear. at least when HL2 was linear it didn't feel so much like it.
HL2 is a way better game than FC in my opinion. :cool:

Scheizekopf said:
Great game but not so great ending.

That is Half-Life tradition. In the year 2009 when they release HL4, it too will have a shitty ending. The game more than made up for the ending IMO.

Now I can't wait for the expansions, like an expansion where you play as a Combine soldier or one of the vortigaunts or something.

For me I'd say that it is a good game. One of the best I've played in along time. Although I did like Doom3 I did really enjoy Half-Life 2 alot.

HL2 is a great game as is FarCry and Doom 3. I also enjoyed Tribes Vengeance. At least the open beta I played.

The environment of HL2 is what I enjoyed. Far cry was fun at the beginning, running through the forests and sniping some guys in the distance and sneaking around. That was fun. But when I got to the alien/mutant creatures it lost a lot of it's attractiveness to me. I didn't really enjoy running around getting pounced on by dumb aliens that hit me once and I died. I just got the point where I didn't want to play it anymore and I have still yet to finish it. I just lost interest. Doom 3 was a cool engine, but thats it. I'm really tired of companies making games that look cool but suck total asshole. All you do in doom 3 is run through the same hallway for 10 hours and say, wow, look at our lighting effects. Lets take a small hiatus and go to hell because we can show off some more cool engine aspects. While we are at it, lets not do anything original or insightful as our view of hell, lets just put some flames and lava and call it a day. Ok thats enough of that, back to the same hallway with some cool lights. Shitty easy boss. End. *takes 55 dollars, whipes sweaty sat in seat for 10 hours wasted life ass and flushes it down the toilet*

Back