• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is Headroom Always Better?

liquidfluidity

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
2,938
I'm getting ready to upgrade my gpu and am undecided as to which to get. I'm leaning towards an XFX GTX260 BE(or maybe an EVGA) or some flavor of a GTX285. I'm only running a 20" widescreen and am not a crazy gamer. I do however , play games and want to be able to have my settings maxed for the best possible graphics. I usually play FPSs like Crysis , etc. I guess my question is whether or not the 285 is just overkill for my monitor and is it that much better than the 260? I'd like to have the 2gig 285(just because) but not sure the wife is going to go for that expenditure:rolleyes:. Opinions?
 
I'm getting ready to upgrade my gpu and am undecided as to which to get. I'm leaning towards an XFX GTX260 BE(or maybe an EVGA) or some flavor of a GTX285. I'm only running a 20" widescreen and am not a crazy gamer. I do however , play games and want to be able to have my settings maxed for the best possible graphics. I usually play FPSs like Crysis , etc. I guess my question is whether or not the 285 is just overkill for my monitor and is it that much better than the 260? I'd like to have the 2gig 285(just because) but not sure the wife is going to go for that expenditure:rolleyes:. Opinions?

I don't think the 2 gig 285 is a wise investment right now. From what I've read there are only a smidgen of instances where the additional memory actually benefited the game.

The 2 gig ATI 6 port cards are due soon, so if you plan on going multimonitor, that is worth the wait.
 
you can get a 5850 for less then a 285. a 285 is almost the cost of a 5870. why would you buy old tech?
 
yeah, what's the native resolution?

coming from the card in your sig, I think you'd be happy with either of the ones you listed... but neither will max out crysis.

I always prefer to have extra headroom, personally. I like consistent frame rates more so than eye candy (although, both is better :D)
 
Native is 1600x900. It's the monitor in my sig. I know that Crysis is a total power whore and it's not a goal to be able to max that out. Are the 5xxx cards that much better than the 2xx series cards? I am probably going to buy a used one unless I come across a good deal on something new. Consistent frame rates and eye candy together would be great - kind of like dating twins! ;)
 
Are the 5XXX cards that much better than the 2XX series cards?

My general impression, after reading seemingly hundreds of reviews:

$500 X295 >>>>>>>>>>
$400 5870 >>>>>>>>>*
$300 5850 >>>>>>>
$350 X285 >>>>>>

$225 4890 >>>>>
$250 X275 >>>>>
$165 X260 >>>*

* Slightly higher in some benchmarks.
 
Native is 1600x900. It's the monitor in my sig. I know that Crysis is a total power whore and it's not a goal to be able to max that out. Are the 5xxx cards that much better than the 2xx series cards? I am probably going to buy a used one unless I come across a good deal on something new. Consistent frame rates and eye candy together would be great - kind of like dating twins! ;)

i have a 5770@880core, and 1300memory and i'm running 2048x1152 on it with high details, no AA though.
to be honest i find it very playable, i don't notice any choppiness.

i think you running at 1600x900 would a walk in the park for it.
 
My general impression, after reading seemingly hundreds of reviews:

$500 X295 >>>>>>>>>>
$400 5870 >>>>>>>>>*
$300 5850 >>>>>>>
$350 X285 >>>>>>

$225 4890 >>>>>
$250 X275 >>>>>
$165 X260 >>>*

* Slightly higher in some benchmarks.

You should put the x295 under the 5870. In most benchmarks its slower and in some of them its slower by a very large margin. Newer drivers will favor increases in the 5870 much more so than the 295 which is very old tech.

Best value is the 5850 and a second one when it hits $200. Gives you 5970 performance which nothing currently touches
 
You should put the x295 under the 5870. In most benchmarks its slower and in some of them its slower by a very large margin. Newer drivers will favor increases in the 5870 much more so than the 295 which is very old tech.
You may be right about that. At the time of the 5870 reviews, the X295 was still a hair faster. Improved drivers may have turned the tables by now, but I haven't seen any evidence, yet. That said, I would agree the 5870 is a better option right now.
 
Back
Top