Is HDMI going away?

stevedave

Supreme [H]ardness
Because no gtx 260 have HDMI at newegg and considering they are a newer card you would think they would have built in HDMI, or at least one of them would.

also are there any single slot coolers that can be put on a 260?

Because no gtx 260 have HDMI at newegg and considering they are a newer card you would think they would have built in HDMI, or at least one of them would.

I dont know about the single slot coolers, but HDMI, for now... is still quite alive.
But there are other standards including DisplayPort and now a new one that uses CAT6 Cable to transmit between devices. So, you never really know if HDMI is going away, in most cases a standard is usually replaced with a newer better one.

My GTX 260 came with adapters, but I'm perfectly fine with DVI. I don't want audio going to my monitor. My audio goes to my audio interface via SPDIF first.

yeah I know they have adapters but considering HDMI is almost a standard in TV's and Monitors I would have thought it would also be a standard with Video cards and considering it's not I thought maybe it was going away.

They seems to be common for other gpu's like the 4870 and 9 series but not the gtx's.

I am fine with DVI as well but my monitor and tv don't have a dvi port only HDMI and D sub.

My evga 260 came with an hdmi adapter, and I'm actually using it right now to run a 32" lcd tv as well as my regular monitor - sound and all.

yeah I know they have adapters but considering HDMI is almost a standard in TV's and Monitors I would have thought it would also be a standard with Video cards and considering it's not I thought maybe it was going away.

They seems to be common for other gpu's like the 4870 and 9 series but not the gtx's.

I am fine with DVI as well but my monitor and tv don't have a dvi port only HDMI and D sub.

It's not really much of a standard on monitors. It's a feature on the high-end units, and if it's the only input that's a sign of a low-end unit, but most omit it.

It's also a proprietary connection, so manufacturers have to pay to use it. That's probably why video cards tend not to include it, since the customer can just use an adapter or a cable and save everybody money.

My evga 260 came with an hdmi adapter, and I'm actually using it right now to run a 32" lcd tv as well as my regular monitor - sound and all.
I cant seem to get sound to my TV with this setup....how did you do it..
I have the SPDIF cable hooked up from my sound card to my vid card and no go....

I used to use the S/PDIF pinout on my Auzentech Xplosion on a HDMI equipped 7600GT. Now I use the pinout on my motherboard (EP45-UD3LR) connected to the 260 using the supplied cable.

What motherboard and soundcard do you have - maybe it's just not connected to the right pins. I'm assuming you've installed the audio drivers for the onboard sound, but check to make sure that is all enabled. All I had to do then was open the audio preferences and select which I want to be as the default - super easy to do in W7 and Vista. Additionally, there is another option on my TV side and you can set if the audio comes with the HDMI or through a separate imput. the TV works with another HDMI source like a PS3 or whatever, then that should be fine.

Oh, and I've heard that the vid card can be picky about which DVI output you connect the adapter to.

i have weird handshake issues with my x600pci-e an da dvi to hdmi adapter :(

I didn't know that HDMI was proprietary which is probably the main reason its not on more video cards.

Having an adapter works but not needing an adapter works even better. I had an adapter go bad last year and it could of been a pain in the ass to trouble shoot if I didn't have a spare adapter to test with.

I used to use the S/PDIF pinout on my Auzentech Xplosion on a HDMI equipped 7600GT. Now I use the pinout on my motherboard (EP45-UD3LR) connected to the 260 using the supplied cable.

What motherboard and soundcard do you have - maybe it's just not connected to the right pins. I'm assuming you've installed the audio drivers for the onboard sound, but check to make sure that is all enabled. All I had to do then was open the audio preferences and select which I want to be as the default - super easy to do in W7 and Vista. Additionally, there is another option on my TV side and you can set if the audio comes with the HDMI or through a separate imput. the TV works with another HDMI source like a PS3 or whatever, then that should be fine.

Oh, and I've heard that the vid card can be picky about which DVI output you connect the adapter to.

its an MSI X-48 board, and the PCI-e X-fi sound card that comes with it..i also tried it with a sound blaster....on Vista 64...

You can buy a DVI to HDMI converter so it is a mute point.

The only single slot cooler that would ever work on a 260 would be a waterblock. It simply generates too much heat to be dispated through a single slot form factor.

its an MSI X-48 board, and the PCI-e X-fi sound card that comes with it..i also tried it with a sound blaster....on Vista 64...

Try the pinout directly on the motherboard itself. It's labeled JSP1 on this diagram and the lower of the two pins should be the ground.

roflcopter.jpg

FYI, DVI and HDMI are the same video signal. They just have different pin layouts, and HDMI adds audio. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI and http://pinouts.ru/VideoCables/hdmi_dvi_cable_pinout.shtml for more info. This means that HDMI-DVI adapters are actually less complicated than DVI-VGA adapters.

As stated, HDMI isn't a real big standard on monitors, so video cards tend to focus more on DVI (which is the standard on most current monitors), especially since it's so easy to adapt it to HDMI.

Also, it's $10,000 a year to be an "HDMI Adopter", plus $.04-$.15 per device sold (http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/terms.aspx). I'm betting it works out cheaper to make a bunch of DVI video cards and include HDMI adapters, than to make all of those cards have onboard HDMI ports. They might even be able to get away with not having to go through all that for the adapters, as they're not really devices, just pinout-changers.

FYI, DVI and HDMI are the same video signal. They just have different pin layouts, and HDMI adds audio. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI and http://pinouts.ru/VideoCables/hdmi_dvi_cable_pinout.shtml for more info. This means that HDMI-DVI adapters are actually less complicated than DVI-VGA adapters.

They might even be able to get away with not having to go through all that for the adapters, as they're not really devices, just pinout-changers.

The typical DVI-VGA adapter is also simply DVI-I->VGA (not DVI-D->VGA) so it's also simply a wire-mapping connector.

HDMI is more aimed at TVs and home theatre setups. For PCs and monitors DisplayPort appears to be slowly pushing DVI away, with Apple having fully embraced (mini) DisplayPort on all its systems and monitors and more and more GPUs having the DP connector directly on the GPU without the use of an adapter.

It makes sense too from a financial perspective, as HDMI costs $x per implementation (chip), whereas DP is totally royalty-free and thus saves the GPU manufacturer $x compared to HDMI. In the cut-throat GPU market that is a huge difference in profit.

is display port hdcp? i wish that would go away too ;)

DisplayPort does support encrypted streams (DRM), yes. It's pretty much a requirement to make the big studios and other groups endorse a new standard. DVI supports HDCP too, BTW.

No HDMI cannot fail anytime soon, as it is the worst connector ever invented, thus it will not fail. Same with Display Port... FAIL.

Connectors with pins and screws FTW!

Except I hate it when I unscrew the connector and it removes the screws from the video card as well - so annoying.

No HDMI cannot fail anytime soon, as it is the worst connector ever invented, thus it will not fail. Same with Display Port... FAIL.

Connectors with pins and screws FTW!

Actually even without screws a connector can be locking. Just look at SATA. HDMI spec fails because it forgets to mention things like locking connectors, ergo we ended up with mostly crappy connectors which keep falling out of the darn device. DisplayPort is a better spec in this respect at least :)

There is no screws and clips as that is just to complicated for the general public. True story.

There is no screws and clips as that is just to complicated for the general public. True story.

I'd think that a less complex (cheaper) connector would be a bonus too. But yes, I haven't seen many people actually tighten the screws on VGA and DVI connectors. Having to forcefully remove (plastic) screws in an installation will lessen one's appreciation for those screw systems, though.

Back