Is hardware (specifically graphics cards) cheaper in Asia?

vanquished

Limp Gawd
Since quite a lot of the companies are based in asia, would hardware be significantly (5 - 10%) cheaper than the US?

mavis got his x800xt-pe for $680 usd in tokyo (i think), i think he also said that the price was relatively low because other stores were charging around 900 usd.

somebody correct me if im wrong on this.

Well I'm in Malaysia and can truthfully tell you that prices for graphics card or any other hardware for that matter is not any cheaper in comparison to those in the States...
You'd be suprised to know that the street price for a 9800xt in Malaysia is about RM1700-1800. Which works out to be about USD447-473. Currently the X800s have not arrived, so the prices haven't really dropped.

You think you guys got it bad you should check out the prices in Australia :eek:

the reason i asked this was because i've got a friend in Hong Kong. He tells me that he can get a radeon 9800 pro (not the crippled version) for 1200 HK dollars. That's about 150 US.

vanquished said:
the reason i asked this was because i've got a friend in Hong Kong. He tells me that he can get a radeon 9800 pro (not the crippled version) for 1200 HK dollars. That's about 150 US.

If you look around you'll be able to find an OEM version for about the same...A boxed 9800pro BBA will run about 200, espcially considering the that the new cards are on their way out.

Back