is grid worth buying??

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
I see it is only $29 now and I am wondering if it is worth buying or not.
How long is the career mode?
I am sure my rig in sig should be able to run the game @1680x1050 but I dont know about the AA.

I only have the mouse and keyboard.I dont have a wheel nor do I have a 360 controller.Is it playable on the M&K?

I would appreciate it if owners of the game can chime in and give me some info.Is it worth buying

No problem at all go ahead and ask all the questions you want.

If you are into arcade style racers then yes, this game is awesome. I don't know how many people play it online anymore though. You'll want to pick up a wheel or at the very least, a 360 controller. I bought a 360 controller after struggling with this game while playing with the mouse and keyboard and it made a world of difference, it was like night and day.

You race in different tiers with different cars throughout the single player campaign, unlocking more races as you gain experience toward a particular license. The damage model is amazing. Parts go flying as do the tires on the side of a track when you smash into them. There's also destruction derby race events along with formula style races.

I think if you like racing games, you should like GRID.

Grid is for sure worth buying.
You will need at least a gamepad with mini joystick on it.
The best for PC is the XBox 360 wired controller.

Grid is a great game! Like other have said, you will definitly want at least a game pad of some sort. I use a Logitech Rumblepad 2 but anything with a pair of analog sticks will be fine.

Well I went to gamestop today hoping to find a used wired 360 controller and had no luck,
I have like 3 more eb games and gamestop stores in my area tho.

I would rather get the microsoft brand controller since I have had nothing but bad luck with 3rd party controllers in the past.They are always cheap and dont feel the same as the microsoft controller.

So if I get a wired controller what do I need to do? DO I go to microsoft website and download the driver for the controller?

I bought grid and GTA San Andreas today.It was only $40 for both games so I figured why not.
I am slowly but surely building up my game collection.I am trying to buy games that I missed out on with the pc.08 is when I started pc gaming,I always was a console guy.I had 3 xbox 360's fail on me and that is when I drew the line.I guess that is what I got for buying hardware from a software company (LOL)

I know GTA SA is old so it should run good on my rig.I never played it on the console either.By the time i get my games beat gta 4 should be cheap.

I will try grid on the M&K first and see how bad it is.If I cannot play it like that then I will go and get a 360 controller.I am gonna look online now for the stores phone #'s and call around and see what they have in stock for 360 controllers.I would like to get a black one since everything I have pc wise is black

If you have the system in your sig you should be able to play every pc title out there. You will be able to max out most games as well. Not crysis of course or FSX :)

I played the crysis demo setting all at high,no AA @1680x1050 and maintained 30fps avg

Bman123 - I really enjoy GRID. On controllers - I was playing Gran Turismo 5 prologue with the g25 racing wheel (a good but rather expensive controller). So when I first tried GRID I was absolutely terrible at it. It was so arcadey in comparison to GT5:p.

With the wheel it was terrible (ass), just awful. In GRID, you tend to drift a lot around corners (well, I do) and steering the wheel forward and back, all the way to correct was just too tiring and difficult for each corner. I picked up a 360 controller for the computer and I think it's perfectly suited for GRID (which is awesome).

Well I just got done watching some videos and reviews for GTA SA and it seems like a made a bad decision.I have not installed it so I can take it back.It was a impulse buy for sure.They didn;t have alot of pc games and gta 4 was $50 and I didn't want to spend that much.

I did however watch some videos of gta4 (pc) and it did look very good.It is just the crappy performance people are getting is putting me away from returning GTA SA and picking GTA4 up for the $40 difference I dont know or think that it may be worth it to do it.

Well I just got done watching some videos and reviews for GTA SA and it seems like a made a bad decision.I have not installed it so I can take it back.It was a impulse buy for sure.They didn;t have alot of pc games and gta 4 was $50 and I didn't want to spend that much.

No way man! GTA SA is a blast of a game. The reviews were also all good last I checked.

I did however watch some videos of gta4 (pc) and it did look very good.It is just the crappy performance people are getting is putting me away from returning GTA SA and picking GTA4 up for the $40 difference I dont know or think that it may be worth it to do it.

It's overblown. GTA4 is an awesome game on the PC if you follow what Rockstar explained what the settings do and how they work you will be just fine.

The reviews were good but it seemed as if the pc version was barely any better then the console version.I know the pc version has settings that the console version doesn't have so it should look better.
GTA SA isn;t new so it should run very well on my rig.

I am gonna install grid right now so I can see if it is even playable for me on the M&K.I had no problem playing NFSMW with the M&K

I would like to know the answer to this as well...

Also, if someone has a recommendation for a good quality yet inexpensive wheel that works for GRID and other older games NFS -- etc., plz share.

I like the price on this one, looks like a quality item too.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/wheels/devices/320&cl=US,EN

OP, hope you don't mind me expanding a bit on your thread.

Terrible wheel. It has the worst force feedback I've ever played with (well, I only had this wheel and a Wingman when I was like 10, but yeah, haha, it's still really bad FF), and I'm not sure about how much you can turn it, but it's nothing, I don't think you can even do a full wheel turn. Don't bother with this wheel.

Get this: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-L..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1230874264&sr=1-1
$110, free shipping. What's funky is that it's advertised as PS3 only, just like the Driving Force Pro, but on all reviews I've seen, they all say it works perfect on a PC. Just download the Driving Force Pro drivers and you're set.

What the hell is up with it's price, too? I paid I think 89.99 on Newegg for the MOMO about 2 years back.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I just got done playing a couple races of grid with the M&K and this is how I see it.No ned for me to go out and get a controller or a wheel.I am doing pretty good with just the M&K.

Now I can use the saved money and buy myself a new 2.1 speaker set since I am still using my old ass gateway junk speakers

lol, yes you can play Grid with mouse and keyboard but its a different experience.
Later it can get pretty tough, I couldnt imagine doing it without a decent controller.
Each to his own.
Remember though, if you arent enjoying the game much, thats probably why :)

GTA SA is a good game if you haven´t played to much GTA games again... It´s dated like heck but well GTA IV is quite dated as well. You don´t play the GTA titles for the graphics that´s for sure.

As for wheel support it actually works great both with a G25 and Fanatec 911 Turbo wheel. But being an arcade title you have to tweak a lot. I ran 150 degrees steering lock on the G25 I assume some will run maybe as low as 90 or even less. It´s so much more fun to run racing games with a proper steering wheel then a gamepad or even worse mouse/keyboard.

If you are really into racing games arcade or sims and play on PC I would suggest say something like a DFP GT perhaps or the upcoming carrera wheel. G25 and higher wheels are more for the real simracers :)

I see it is only $29 now and I am wondering if it is worth buying or not.
How long is the career mode?
I am sure my rig in sig should be able to run the game @1680x1050 but I dont know about the AA.

I only have the mouse and keyboard.I dont have a wheel nor do I have a 360 controller.Is it playable on the M&K?

I would appreciate it if owners of the game can chime in and give me some info.Is it worth buying

career mode took me a couple months of casual use.. probably avg 10 hours a week. well, never really finished it yet... i got half way done and reformatted my pc, didnt bother to save. im about back to where i was now...

an 8800gtx and a dual core intel machine will run the game perfect at 1650x1080.

you can also use the wireless gaming adapter from microsoft and use any wireless xbox360 controller, you dont have to buy a wired usb version.

the game is not realistic, but its a hell of a lot of fun. if you want to go FAST and still seem kinda real, this game is tops.

@Tylerdurdened: Thanks for the info!

I have an old PS/2 controller that I think I will try (with the demo) until the wheel and real game arrive. I tried M&K and it was just too painful.

Anyone using GRID with a 3850 plz share your experience. I'll be using the 1st PC in my sig.

I am having no trouble at all with the M&K playing grid.
I say the game is part sim part arcade. I love the fact that it has damage.I hate NFS games due to no car damage.Without damage anyone can smack into a wall doing 140+

what is simulation about it? Not even the tracks resembles the ones IRL very close... It´s just about that I can actually recognize SPA despite having 4000 laps on it...

what is simulation about it? Not even the tracks resembles the ones IRL very close... It´s just about that I can actually recognize SPA despite having 4000 laps on it...

Simulation is representing real life in some way that is good enough for the purpose it will be used for.
I'd say they've done a good enough simulation to make a great racing game.

yeah you cant race in here like you can in NFS.In NFS you can hit a wall doing 140mph and keep going.You hit a wall in here doing 140mph and your screwed.Kindal like toca and that other game.I can't remember the name of it but i like racing games like these since you have to be smart not just smash down on the gas

GRID is pretty good, they tried to split the difference between a true sim and an arcade racer. It worked OK in SP, but I was never able to get into the MP aspect of that game.

Damage simulator perhaps but it´s not simulating racing. Need 4 street Prostreet for example actually have more realistic physics then GRID... It´s just as much arcade as PGR for example just slightly more realistic then Ridge Racer and Sega Rally :).

I do recommend the game just you realize there is nothing it really simulates. Damage modelling is not realistic. You can crash in 100 km/h and still drive on. The visual representation is overdone really for show. It doesn´t have mechanical wear of abusing the gearbox or other things. It´s not even trying to replicate the real car physics by any means.

Simulation for me means it´s trying to simulate something realistically. In this case WTCC, F2 and other cars.

You could try the bmw in the GRID Demo and then drive the bmw in the Race 07 demo (it´s the very same car) to see the difference between a simulation that tries to replicate the real thing and one that doesn´t since it´s quite hard to drive on the limit actually in real life :)

Though it for sure took a while to readjust to the alien physics of GRID actually ignoring the brake since you deaccelerated better going sideways and then on the throttle...

I have raced a few races and I do like it.I know this is not a true sim by all means but it isn't straight arcade either.I think it is a good blance between the two and I really like the game.
The graphics are very good and it also runs really well on my rig so I can't complain

Just an update from me... Got GRID yesterday, it's pretty nice. The default installation settings for graphics were what I'd term as "Medium" and played fine. Cranking it up all the way is too much for my 3850, I need to experiment a bit, or upgrade.

On that note I see that this game is included with some graphics cards at 'Egg. Wish I'd known that earlier, I may have used it as an extra reason to upgrade my hardware.

I had a hard time finding a wired XBox controller locally. Had to drive 15 miles to a BestBuy that had it in stock. According to the guy at GameStop this controller has been discontinued. Non of the local stores have any more stock. I had the Best Buy girl check her computer and told her what the G/S guy had said and she confirmed that something is going on, status showed up as "weird" in her system. So if you're thinking of getting one of these controllers I'd do it now. Just FYI, NewEgg and BestBuy online show stock. Maybe MS is coming out iwth a new version? Or perhaps it is simply being discontinued, as the guy at G/S mentioned everyone just buys the wireless version.

The controller really does makes a difference in this game IMO. I did not get to try my PS2 controller as I had planned.

After reading oqvist's post above I realize that there are a lot of racing games I've been missing. :) Need to get them now and compare!

GRID is pretty awesome, you can't really beat it for what it is on PC. Use a 360 controller.

i still want to get grid for the pc, those that want to try it, there was a demo , you could play online to, not sure how many players for the demo now that its out, but i played the demo countless times and may install it again till i get the game. but if your worried about your machine handling it id say get the demo, i ran it fine with the rig in my sig, and it looked great.

I did buy the game and it ran great maxxed out with 4xaa @1680x1050 on my rig.

2xaa for me, v-sync = on, all other settings as high as they'd go unless there's a choice for "Ultra," I left those at High instead. I've played a few hours now and I get the occasional glitch with video, like the screen totally slows for a split second, but it's very rare and doesn't really affect play.

Awesome game!

To the OP, when you mentioned seeing the game for 29.99 were you referring to the Steam version specifically? Steam version is good and all but if can find it retail for the same price that'd be great.

I ordered it from amazon for $29. Should be here this week. Can't wait to play it, and I have a force-feedback steering wheel too! (logitech MOMO).

forgot to mention i played the 360 version at the store and i had a harder time driving with that than the keyboard. but do mean to try it either way i have a joystick just no wheel.and a wired and wireless 360 controller just no adapter for the wireless. but im too broke to buy the game, saved up and just built a new system

I just got my amazon delivery of GRID, I'm installing now.

How is mulitiplayer online?

despite all the criticism about the unrealistic physics, its the physics of the game that make it so fun. you want speed? i mean crazy speed? open wheel in GRID. dont try it while drowsy! :eek:

Back