is FFXI just like other FF's or like everyother MMORPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSubZero

2[H]4U
I'm loving FFXI. At first I wasn't sure how FF-loyal it was going to be, but little by little there's plenty of reminders that this IS a Final Fantasy game. You start seeing spells you recognize, monsters from other games, familiar armor.. Of course it has the typical "save the world" plot too.

One aspect which I like is the concept of making the player feel that the game is in fact revolving around them. There IS an actual plot, and there IS a "final boss" if you want to call it that (since there's more after him) and from your character's perspective, it's he/she that is moving the story. They implement an "exclusive" system where plot-specific items cannot be traded or sold to other players. The item is yours, and as far as your character is concerned, nobody else has one.

The only problems I have are..

1. Difficult soloing. You simply cannot fight alot of the harder monsters, or the plot-moving boss monsters, without a party. They even cap your level for certain fights just to force you to get other people to help. Unfortunately those "other people" may be japanese players who can't understand you, or goofy kids who have no clue how to function in a party.

2. Incredibly vague quests. Quests are a key element in the game, you run around to the NPC's and they give you things to do. Unfortunately many of the quests give no clue as to how they should be done, and you really have no option but to ask someone or check a fansite. I'm not asking for it to be spelled out, but hints along the way and maybe some general information about what I'm supposed to do might help.

3. Extremely limited storage. I guess it's a game mechanic, but I don't know why I can hold 30 items on me (and an earring takes as much space as a bed) but only 50 items in my enormous mog house. There are quests to enlarge storage a bit but still, my mog house looks like it can hold 10,000 items.

However I can get past these issues, cuz Elvaan chicks got hot bootie.

You are not a priest, straight edge. Please stop resurecting dead threads. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back