Is Eyefinity Still "Good"?

Roman79

[H]ard|Gawd
Maybe a silly question, but...

I've been out of the country for the better part of the last 2 months with very little Internet access. Before that, I was looking at putting together an Eyefinity setup and there was still quite a buzz around here about it. Now since I've been back I haven't seen much talk of Eyefinity.

Was it a fad that's now passed? I'm really hoping not.

According to these guys you can now buy $30 active Displayport adapters, which makes me very happy. I wasn't very keen on spending $100 on an adapter plus another 2 monitors. Or buying one or more Dell U2311's (native DP), although I'm sure they're great.

So next week I'll probably buy another two Acer H233H's at Costco for $179ea (CDN) and order a $30 adapter then be off to the races :)

Just thought I'd post here first to make sure I'm not making purchases based on outdated info. Thanks!

It is still being done. I will never do it, I hate the bezels breaking things up.

The cheaper adapter is basically single link dvi, it is limited to 1920x1200@60hz for each monitor. It won't limit your setup at all, so just more of a fact on why it is cheaper.

Nvidia has also entered multi-monitor gaming, 3D vision surround (doesn't have to involve 3D). There solution requires SLI, but works using DVI/HDMI without the need for DP.

Basically still a niche setup, but AMD will continue supporting eyefinity with the new 6000 series, and Nvidia having entered its own version, don't worry about support being dropped any time soon.

It is still being done. I will never do it, I hate the bezels breaking things up.

This was one of my concerns before buying my 3rd u2410. When i got the setup installed and started gaming it took me about 30 seconds to start ignoring the bezels. The only setup that i think the bezels might disturb me is a setup with bezel going across the center of the setup.

My suggestion is to try it out and if it doesn't work out, just sell 1 or 2 of the monitors and be happy that way. IMO eyefinity is worth a try if you can afford it and have the space for 3 (or more) monitors.

The cheaper adapter is basically single link dvi, it is limited to 1920x1200@60hz for each monitor. It won't limit your setup at all, so just more of a fact on why it is cheaper.

Nvidia has also entered multi-monitor gaming, 3D vision surround (doesn't have to involve 3D). There solution requires SLI, but works using DVI/HDMI without the need for DP.

Basically still a niche setup, but AMD will continue supporting eyefinity with the new 6000 series, and Nvidia having entered its own version, don't worry about support being dropped any time soon.

If I were to go eyefinity I think I'd want to run three 120hz monitors. Is 1920x1080 @ 120hz possible with single link?

This was one of my concerns before buying my 3rd u2410. When i got the setup installed and started gaming it took me about 30 seconds to start ignoring the bezels. The only setup that i think the bezels might disturb me is a setup with bezel going across the center of the setup.

My suggestion is to try it out and if it doesn't work out, just sell 1 or 2 of the monitors and be happy that way. IMO eyefinity is worth a try if you can afford it and have the space for 3 (or more) monitors.

Its just not going to happen for me. I would have to spend close to $800 bucks just for 2 monitors to match my ZR24W. Then I would have to buy a different colorimeter that supports multi monitors.

If I were to go eyefinity I think I'd want to run three 120hz monitors. Is 1920x1080 @ 120hz possible with single link?

No, single link cannot do 1920x1080@120hz. Since there are no native DP 120hz monitors at the moment you would have to buy the more expensive active adapter. (The Alienware does not have DP, I have heard some people thinking it does because it is a Dell)

I have also heard some issues running eyefinity@120hz in certain situations, requiring work arounds. These may or may not be fully resolved now, not sure about this. You might need to ask in video cards or someone else here might have more information regarding that.

Thanks for the info guys. I just ordered that adapter this evening, so I'll pick up two more H233Hs next week and hopefully be in business :D

I always thought the thing but now I wouldnt mind have 3 monitors if I use one for my media player (fb2k/winamp/itunes) and the other for another browsing window. Id never eyefinity for gaming though because of the bezels.

im going to finally have an eyefinity setup around xmas

atm i have

ASUS VH236H 23" 2ms(GTG), 300 cd/m2, 20000 :1 (ASCR)

and tomorrow my 120hz asus arrives.

ASUS VG236HE 23" 2ms(GTG), 400 cd/m2, 100,000:1 (ASCR)

so around xmas ill probly get another one of the cheap 60hz asus for on the other side of the 120hz display and run them all in 60hz when i want to play games in eyefinity and then use the middle 120hz screen at 120hz when i want to play a fps leaving the 2 outside monitors dormant.

i still only have a 4870 so i need a new gpu ill probly just end up getting a 6870 when i get the third monitor until i can afford a 6990.

aslong as it supports it i cant wait to play some SWTOR with eyefinity.

Well my single link adaptor arrived, but when I went to Costco to pickup 2 more H233Hs they stopped carrying them.
I ended up grabbing 2 Acer G235Hs at Staples for $169 (on sale) and they're nearly the same. It looks like they're clearing out all their CF backlit models in favor of LED backlit. A bit of good luck I guess.

I can appreciate that LED backlit models use a lot less power, and they seem brighter, but the colours seem a little off when compared side by side with a CF model.

Anyway, I tested out BC2, Eve, and WoW last night, and I have to give Eyefinity a big thumbs up :D Especially in BC2 it makes the game much more immersive.

Back