Is Eyefinity + Crossfire Possible?

Mayenard

Limp Gawd
I have a 5850 and have recently returned a 5850 due to not be able to crossfire my eyefinity grouping. I was able to crossfire a single display, but my grouping disappeared the moment I enabled Xfire.

I bought the 5850 knowing I would most likely need another running a res of 5040 x 1050. I would NOT have setup eyefinity if crossfire wasn't possible, as most of you probably wouldn't.

I was reading this article and found what AMD admits interesting...

One of those improvements is the ability to combine CrossFire multi-GPU setups with multi-monitor Eyefinity display surfaces. The appeal here is obvious, since pushing 24 megapixels with a single 5870 GPU is possible and sometimes quite workable, but not for every game. Generating that many pixels at the right quality levels would tax any single graphics chip.

Making CrossFire work on this scale presents some challenges, however, as AMD readily admits. The core issue is the fact that the dedicated CrossFire interconnect used for passing completed frames between cards has "only" enough bandwidth to sustain a 2560x1600 display resolution. Even three 1080p displays will exceed its capacity.

The alternative is to transfer frame buffer data via PCI Express, which is what AMD does when necessary. Using PCIe works, but it can limit performance scaling somewhat—don't expect to see the near-linear scaling one might get out of a dual-card setup in the right game with a single display. ~ ref. http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/18521/2

I believe this bandwidth limitation was my problem. I believe AMD has tried correcting this since the 9.12 drivers, but in my case it was pretty fail having tried evrything up until 10.3.

I plan on buying a 5970, but only because I believe this is the only way to use a second GPU at this time with eyefinity. At least it is in my case.

My question is....Has anyone been able to crossfire an eyefinity grouping?

has worked fine for me since they first released the 9.12 hotfix drivers (5870's though not 5850s).

I grabbed a second 5870 the other day with the hopes of running Bad Company 2 and other games at 5760x1200 with higher settings. I had no problem being able to run eyefinity with crossfire enabled. However it is a mixed bag for me. Bad Company 2 shows better frames at higher settings however it doesn't feel as smooth as 1x5870. There is this kinda laggy stuttery feeling when moving around. COD4 and HAWX on the other hand seem to run smooth enough and definitely show higher frames than one card.

I have seen that techreport piece you refer to but wonder how true it is. Considering you can use 2 bridges that should ensure any potential bandwidth bottlenecks are overcome with eyefinity. I have read of other having these kind of issues with crossfire and eyefinity, one place is here: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=18562&start=15

From what I've picked up the 5970 doesn't have this issue. I heard that Dave Bauman (Ati) said on WSGF that implementing eyefinity on the 5970 was easy because they had control over all the hardware. Whereas with 2 x card crossfire there are many different configurations of motherboards etc to consider.

There may be some out their having a great time with 5870s in CFX and eyefinity but for me I am considering a 5970. It's driver 10.3 currently and I think I will likely be dissapointed taking the hopeful approach of new drivers sorting it out :(

has worked fine for me since they first released the 9.12 hotfix drivers (5870's though not 5850s).

That's good to hear it's working well for you. So it feels just as smooth as with one card in eyefinity? Have to say that the few people I've read who are reporting a good experience are on newer chipsets - X58, and P55 as well I think. I wonder if P45 is having issues with it...

BC2 runs totally smooth for me. All high settings, 4xAA 16xAF, HBAO off i get 50-60 fps. This is at 6400x1152 with bezel management on.

BC2 runs totally smooth for me. All high settings, 4xAA 16xAF, HBAO off i get 50-60 fps. This is at 6400x1152 with bezel management on.

Yeah I get those frames as well with the same settings and similar resolution. It just feels a little stuttery. Even on low settings it doesn't feel as smooth as 1 card :(

I am also starting to wonder if the p45 chipset is a common denominator with CFX + eyefinity issues. Thanks for the replys. Keep em coming.

I am also starting to wonder if the p45 chipset is a common denominator with CFX + eyefinity issues. Thanks for the replys. Keep em coming.

I could see x16 + x8 xfire possibly increasing stutter, but I don't see it causing your problem of Eyefinity completely degrouping in crossfire.

I could see x16 + x8 xfire possibly increasing stutter, but I don't see it causing your problem of Eyefinity completely degrouping in crossfire.

No, I agree the stuttering and degrouping are seperate issues. I'm not sure what is causing my issue but I believe it's a matter of my configuration conflicting with the drivers somehow. Initially I wanted to see if a 5970 was even worth getting, considering the situation.

I got the second 5850 because BC2 was so demanding. Up until now, I wasn't sure if even a 5970 could keep up. I'll probably pickup a 5970 now. I'll worry about this issue again if I feel the need to CFX in a year or so.

I grabbed a second 5870 the other day with the hopes of running Bad Company 2 and other games at 5760x1200 with higher settings. I had no problem being able to run eyefinity with crossfire enabled. However it is a mixed bag for me. Bad Company 2 shows better frames at higher settings however it doesn't feel as smooth as 1x5870. There is this kinda laggy stuttery feeling when moving around. COD4 and HAWX on the other hand seem to run smooth enough and definitely show higher frames than one card.

x2. Picked up a second 5870 (off craigslist so no return :mad:) in the hopes of turning up BC2 on my 3x1080p eyefinity setup. Sure I get double the framerate but it feels super laggy and even at 100fps doesn't feel as smooth as a single card at 60, I have to be pushing 120fps to get that same "butter" feel I like. I should of known, I upgraded from a crossfire 5850 setup to a 5870 a couple months ago because of the frame time render problem sli/crossfire causes I was just wishing bc2 was one of the games not effected as bad... but it is.

So this is no good, I want/need a faster card for my eyefinity, two gpu's is out of the question. Fermi needs 2 cards for "eyefinity" so cant do that, ATI's refresh will probably just be 1000mhz clocked cypress but I OC there anyway so no gain. I don't really care for more AA and eyecandy since I mostly play online so the 2gb 5870's don't appeal to me at all, doesn't seem they will give me any more total fps. Just wish I had someone to give my $$ to and could get a faster single gpu that can push 3 monitors.

x2. Picked up a second 5870 (off craigslist so no return :mad:) in the hopes of turning up BC2 on my 3x1080p eyefinity setup. Sure I get double the framerate but it feels super laggy and even at 100fps doesn't feel as smooth as a single card at 60, I have to be pushing 120fps to get that same "butter" feel I like. I should of known, I upgraded from a crossfire 5850 setup to a 5870 a couple months ago because of the frame time render problem sli/crossfire causes I was just wishing bc2 was one of the games not effected as bad... but it is.

So this is no good, I want/need a faster card for my eyefinity, two gpu's is out of the question. Fermi needs 2 cards for "eyefinity" so cant do that, ATI's refresh will probably just be 1000mhz clocked cypress but I OC there anyway so no gain. I don't really care for more AA and eyecandy since I mostly play online so the 2gb 5870's don't appeal to me at all, doesn't seem they will give me any more total fps. Just wish I had someone to give my $$ to and could get a faster single gpu that can push 3 monitors.

Isn't the 5970 a possibility? I believe the issues have more to do with 2 cards than 2 GPU's. Is anyone with a 5970 experiencing the stuttering?

Isn't the 5970 a possibility? I believe the issues have more to do with 2 cards than 2 GPU's. Is anyone with a 5970 experiencing the stuttering?
Yes, there's a thread on the AMD forums where ppl are talking about problems with a single 5970, dual 5970s for quad fire, and dual 5870s in BC2. But this might be due to any number of other factors including dx9, dx10, or dx11 usage.

I tried sticking the other bridge on my 5870 x 2 config for BC2 @ 7680x1600 but didn't seem to improve things. I'm using Dx9 with all effects and quality @ low and no AA, AF, Bloom or HBAO. Still playing BC2 w/ CFX turned off.

^ dang it I was almost about to go find my second bridge.

Makes me feel better I'm not the only one turning off crossfire because of this. Some games don't seem bad, dirt2 seems fine and smooth.

After looking through forums all day including AMD's, I know there are many ongoing issues without resolve when a second GPU is introduced. I think I'll hold off on upgrading to a 5970 until there is more positive feedback on CFX Eyefinity.

You wouldn't be using a P45 based motherboard would you? Also you say you don't care for more AA and eyecandy. In that case one 5870 is more than adequate for eyefinity as you can set most games to highish settings. Even BC2 can have a few things on medium (like textures, water, effects) and still be very playable. Less demanding games can pretty much be maxed with low or no AA, with one 5870.

From what I've heard so far the 5970 runs well in BC2, that includes hearing from a friend who says his 5970 runs BC2 just as smooth as when one gpu is running.

I'm fairly tempted to get a 5970 and try it out.

Also soekey what chipset is on your motherboard?

^ p55 both slots running at x8 2.0 according to gpuz.

I have 1 5870 pushing my 3x1080 and I have to have everything on low to get the 90-120 fps I like out of a single card, and thats OC'd to 1050mhz. With 2 cards I can get double the fps almost exactly, just feels slower and more "stutter"

^ p55 both slots running at x8 2.0 according to gpuz.

I have 1 5870 pushing my 3x1080 and I have to have everything on low to get the 90-120 fps I like out of a single card, and thats OC'd to 1050mhz. With 2 cards I can get double the fps almost exactly, just feels slower and more "stutter"

Ugh, that's my exact mobo.

I was considering plunking down a 2nd 5870, but there are so many mixed user experiences.

Thanks for the feedback rogue - I see from your board you'll be running your cards at the full x16/x16.

Just came across this review done a while ago of P45 vs X48 in crossfire http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1472/intel_p45_vs_x48_crossfire_performance/index7.html

The link is to the crysis test but you can check the other pages as well. There are some big differences in min and ave frames particularly at high resolution (2560x1600). I can only imagine how much a x8/x8 configuration would hold back 5870s in crossfire with eyefinity resolutions.

I think the only option for me to avoid upgrading my board is to get a 5970 which will run at the full x16 bandwidth. Though I have read of one of two people complaining about slight stuttering with a 5970 as well, so I'm a little tentative.

well a mb is alot cheaper than a new video card. you could probly get a new board and another 5870 for the cost of the 5970. im not sure id use crysis as benchmark for eyefinity. in my experience it runs like shit, but im sure others may disagree.

Yeah a board is a lot cheaper than a 5970 but I was thinking I'd sell my 2 5870s to fund it :)

Also it's not just crysis in that review that shows the big difference at high resolutions. If you look at the other games tested you'll notice some big differences as well.

From what I've picked up the 5970 doesn't have this issue. I heard that Dave Bauman (Ati) said on WSGF that implementing eyefinity on the 5970 was easy because they had control over all the hardware. Whereas with 2 x card crossfire there are many different configurations of motherboards etc to consider.

There may be some out their having a great time with 5870s in CFX and eyefinity but for me I am considering a 5970. It's driver 10.3 currently and I think I will likely be dissapointed taking the hopeful approach of new drivers sorting it out :(

Though I am not running Eyefinity just yet, I do have a Radeon HD 5970 and my gameplay experience in Battlefield Bad Company 2 has been perfectly smooth.

Though I am not running Eyefinity just yet, I do have a Radeon HD 5970 and my gameplay experience in Battlefield Bad Company 2 has been perfectly smooth.

My single screen performance with crossfire is perfect as well. It's just the eyefinity that's killing me with stuttering and a feeling of laginess. From a few hours of scouring the net I am really thinking it's a x8/x8 PCI-e bandwidth issue as all the positive feedback from users I've seen use full bandwidth chipsets.

I really think the 5970 is probably my cheapest option (after selling 5870s) as that will avoid the bus running at x8 speed.

Very interesting thread this given that i am planning a new PC possibly for crossfire.

Do we anticipate that an 890FX motherboard and 2x 2GB 5870 cards would have similar stuttering problems as those described in this thread, i.e. is it a problem inherent to multi-gpu, or is it something ATI can optimise away as a problem?

regards

If the 890FX is a chipset that provides full x16/x16 bandwidth in crossfire then it's quite possible there will be no major issues. Just hypothesising.

With stuttering at eyefinity resolutions, it is hard to tell whether your GPUs are running out of VRAM or you are encountering a bandwidth limitation of PCIE. I have run Crossfire/Eyefinity on 2 monitors (3840x1200) in Crysis Warhead as well as Dirt 2, and I have a X58 mainboard for full 16/16 bandwidth. I didn't notice stuttering in either of those games until I ran out of memory on at the harbor in WH

The stuttering seems to only happen when in Xfire, otherwise gameplay is smooth with less FPS. I would rule out VRAM because of this if I didn't read about the BC2 stutter happen with 5970's.

I'm not optimistic. Eyefinity has been conspicuously absent from web reviews...

But not from [H].

There really wasn't a big reason to bench eyefinity. But since the 2GB 5870 is pretty much meant for boosting eyefinity performance, there is definitely a reason to run comparison benches. Also with fermi being able to support triple wide as well, there's yet another reason.

Just search microstuttering and 5970 and you will find a lot of issues. Some people fixed the issues on their i7s by disabling hyperthreading, but it doesn't seem to be a global fix.

As far as eyefinity and crossfire, I just ran through this hell over the weekend.

Quick summary is eyefinity and landscape mode works, portrait eyefinity and crossfire is a fail in dx9 games from what I can personally discover and have yet to hear anything different.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1506201

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1506628

I have had no problems with Crossfire and Eyefinity. Computer is in Sig.
I use landscape.

I have some lag issues if I have full-on DX11 in Metro 2033, but if I go to DX10 at the highest settings I have no problems at all. I'm probably going to sell my 1GB cards and pick up two of the 2GB cards so I can up the graphics?

I'm waiting for a new Crossfire Profile for Metro to see if it makes a difference. I have yet to try BC2.

If anyone is interested in another 1GB 5870 for a pretty good price, look here, 24 hour sale at the egg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...83&cm_re=sapphire_5870-_-14-102-883-_-Product

Well my theory about x8/x8 PCI-e bandwidth limitation with crossfire eyefinity appears to be wrong. Just took out my 5870s and popped in a 5970. Still have a laggy feeling in eyefinity in BC2, and also COD4. In single screen it is fine, but as soon as I try eyefinity the issue is what I would describe as input lag. You move your mouse to look around and there is a slight delay in responsiveness.

With single gpu eyefinity this is not an issue at all. Great now I'm sitting on 2 5870s and a 5970. Really wish I never had the urge to grab that second 5870 and get into crossfire in the first place :(

Well my theory about x8/x8 PCI-e bandwidth limitation with crossfire eyefinity appears to be wrong. Just took out my 5870s and popped in a 5970. Still have a laggy feeling in eyefinity in BC2, and also COD4. In single screen it is fine, but as soon as I try eyefinity the issue is what I would describe as input lag. You move your mouse to look around and there is a slight delay in responsiveness.

With single gpu eyefinity this is not an issue at all. Great now I'm sitting on 2 5870s and a 5970. Really wish I never had the urge to grab that second 5870 and get into crossfire in the first place :(

Man, that's too bad. I can't blame you for getting into xfire with eyefinity. Who wouldn't with that kind of res? I've read alot of issues with BC2. Hopefully this problem gets resolved with a future driver.

I hope driver updates sort it as well but I'm not holding my breath. Every game I've tried so far in eyefinity with this 5970 has this input lag issue. Just tried Crysis Warhead all low settings at 5760x1200. The frames are fine but you move around and its not very responsive.

With one 5870 its fine. Sigh.

Yeah I get those frames as well with the same settings and similar resolution. It just feels a little stuttery. Even on low settings it doesn't feel as smooth as 1 card :(

It's the lack of vsync that makes Eyefinity stuff feel stuttery, imo. You can run fraps and see you're getting 70fps but it still feels a bit stuttery, like it's running at 20-30 at times.

Single display mode and vsync works. 60 min/max and average and it feels glassy smooth. It's not a crossfire problem or you would feel it on a single display too.

Vsync is just buggered in almost every Eyefinity game. Dirt2 and Dawn of War 2 (when enabled in the config file) are the only two games I've seen Crossfire+Eyefinity with working vsync, capped at 60 and feeling smooth.

It's the lack of vsync that makes Eyefinity stuff feel stuttery, imo. You can run fraps and see you're getting 70fps but it still feels a bit stuttery, like it's running at 20-30 at times.

Single display mode and vsync works. 60 min/max and average and it feels glassy smooth. It's not a crossfire problem or you would feel it on a single display too.

Vsync is just buggered in almost every Eyefinity game. Dirt2 and Dawn of War 2 (when enabled in the config file) are the only two games I've seen Crossfire+Eyefinity with working vsync, capped at 60 and feeling smooth.

That doesn't make any sense since there are no issues with single card eyefinity. I turn off Vsync for almost all my games and don't feel any stutter in eyefinity on a single card.

Yeah I agree intel_hydralisk. It's not a vsync issue. Been doing some more testing. 2 screen eyefinity (with and without my DP-DVI adaptor LCD) seems to be pretty smooth. It's just adding the third screen that creates this input lag.

^ nice! Its good to finally see someone else having the same problem with crossfire eyefinity and bc2 feeling crappy unless you have 120+ fps.

I almost made the trip to frys to pick up a x58 board and i9 for the two x16 lanes, lot of money to throw around on a possible fix tho :(

That doesn't make any sense since there are no issues with single card eyefinity. I turn off Vsync for almost all my games and don't feel any stutter in eyefinity on a single card.

There are no issues with single card eyefinity because vsync works. I play L4D2 with crossfire disabled on my 5970 and it feels great. Enable crossfire and vsync dies and the game feels juddery, even though it's running at ridiculously high frames per second. It's not an issue with single screen Crossfire. Vsync works, game feels fine, even using both GPU's.

Back