Is ending processes bad?

When applications freeze up on me, I tend to just end the process. I start up ctrl alt delete and then i end the process that is frozen. I have heard that this can cause instability within windows and the program itself. Is this true?

Come to think of it I have to fresh copy my windows every half year. Not cuz of spyware or anything.

Onr thing it might do is not save properly for example... like with Word if you press the X it asks you to save whereas if you force-close the file probably not saved... this applies to other applications and their (sometimes important) files as well. Of course there's not much else you can do if a program freezes up, the warning is to use the X if you can and not just wantonly force-close stuff when they're not frozen.

It's not really a problem, unless it's Windows components you do this to. Then you need to figure out why they are freezing. The only problem might be, if you force quit a program, it might not run properly when you try to start it up again...until you reboot.

Theres nothing wrong with ending processes, but use it as a last resort. If you can't get the program to close, unfreeze, etc... then by all means ending the process is the best way to usually get unstuck.

Back