Is Driver Cleaner still needed?

setscrew

[H]ard|Gawd
I will be switching an nVidia 260 for an AMD 6850 in a Windows 7 64 bit system. I have not switched video chipsets since Win XP. Back then I used Driver Cleaner between driver installs.

Is Driver Cleaner (or some other protocol) still required for a contemporary system?

TIA

yes anytime you upgrade your hardware i woudl recommend a driver sweet just to avoid any issues.

Is there any other version without that annoying setup that wants to install crapware?

Back in the day at guru3d there was a portable version and all... now I can't find it.

I dont know.... I have read here on [H] that its no longer needed as on other tech sites. With Nvidia's installer now offering clean installs I dont think its really needed.

What say you all that test drivers and change them often?

I will be switching an nVidia 260 for an AMD 6850 in a Windows 7 64 bit system. I have not switched video chipsets since Win XP. Back then I used Driver Cleaner between driver installs.

Is Driver Cleaner (or some other protocol) still required for a contemporary system?

TIA

I always do that when I switch from Nvidia to AMD. Plus Driver sweeper to make sure you cleaned it out. Or a reformat if you REALLY want to be sure everything is gone.

As long as you get rid of the drivers properly, you shouldn't need to do it. If all else fails, then use it.

After uninstalling NV drivers and firing up DC,It seems to find a lot of files left over..I still use it..Costs less than a minute of time..Why not?

TIA

If you go from one card maker to another yes. And if you update nvidia drivers, yes. If you update ATI drivers, then no.

After uninstalling NV drivers and firing up DC,It seems to find a lot of files left over..I still use it..Costs less than a minute of time..Why not?

Usually those files it finds are merely setup files in Nvidia folder and such. Really, even before Driver Cleaner/Driver Sweeper was rather unnecessary UNLESS you had problems. Now that Nvidia offers clean install its completely unnecessary. Not really sure if ATI has such feature.

I use it only when I have problems.

And I seem to have them regularly with ATI Catalyst & .NET problems especially on one specific computer. No idea why that one, but I run it whenever upgrading that computer's drivers else Catalyst won't open even with all the proper .net versions installed. Re-installed windows and same deal... *shrug* I gave up on that one & use driver sweeper. So yes it still has it's uses for me.

Back