Is Company of Heroes 2 really THIS heavy in Micro-Transactions?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
I have to pre-face this by saying I have never had a objection to micro-transactions. I always argued for them in-fact that it is still nice to have a choice as long as it is not blatantly bad.

I have to post this because if what I am seeing is true, then this is just ridiculous. So I bought Company of Heroes 2 during the Steam Sale for cheap because I absolutely LOVED the first Company of Heroes back when it came out and played a fair amount. I quit PC gaming for a while and was console gaming, and now that I am back i'd figure i'd try COH 2. I didn't read a single thing about the game, nor did I keep up with it. So I bought the base game and I go to do my usual stuff like set resolution and what-not and then I see there is a scrolling banner advertising all kinds of add-ons and near the middle of the left-hand side there is a store-front on the main page.

I click it and it is just chock-full of page after page of $1.99 add-ons for tanks and all kinds of stuff and I am just like wtf? Bothered me, but not too much because I knew I wouldn't be interested anyway and I can overlook it. I go to start a campaign and it asks if I want to start the Russian Campaign or the American Campaign? HUGE banners wanting me to click on either the Russian or American campaign. So I choose the American Campaign and it links me to some internal link that wants me to buy it as a add-on for I think $30 or more. Fuck that. Suffice-to-say I started the Russian campaign but I was for-lack-of-a-better-word traumatized by what I just experienced. I INSTANTLY felt as though I was playing a Freemium game on my phone. The picking-apart of this game left such a bad taste in my mouth that even though I really enjoyed playing the Russian campaign for the little time I spent with it, I just could not shake this overall feeling that I was playing a freemium-like game where it is thrown in my face that even though I bought a game... I didn't buy the WHOLE game. Now when I play it, it is slightly ruined because I feel like I am playing a butchered game. I would be playing and expecting a ad to pop up asking me to buy something else.

If you bought this game at launch for $60 and were met with the same experience... not only do I feel bad for you but i'd be super pissed knowing I spent 60 hard-earned dollars on a game that is this sliced up. I spent $8.74 on Company of Heroes 2 (the base game) and if you see below after the Spring Sale the price is back up to $30.

Now, if I want to play the rest of the game... I have to cough up a additional $43. With the $8.74 I paid for the base game, this would turn into a $51 game that came out 3 years ago. I'm pretty upset. Although, i'll probably keep playing it but this is the first time where I felt the sting of blatant micro-transaction abuse and DLC abuse.

I absolutely understand the point of DLC to extend the life of a already great game such as Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 (which is why I bought their Season Passes), but this is almost blatant removal of features of the game for additional profit which I have never personally experienced before.

5bwg9dP.jpg

Did you see the CoH2 bundle on the Steam Summer Sale for like 15 bux? It had the base game, Ardennes, Code Blue and other stuff.

Your post is a major piece of evidence for the power of waiting for those good sales. I love the game so far but yeah.. If one were to go ham on all that at list prices.. YIKES

This one:

Buy Company of Heroes 2: Master Collection
Includes 8 items: CoH 2 - The Western Front Armies: Oberkommando West, CoH 2 - The Western Front Armies: US Forces, Company of Heroes 2, Company of Heroes 2 - Ardennes Assault, Company of Heroes 2 - Case Blue Mission Pack, Company of Heroes 2 - Southern Fronts Mission Pack, Company of Heroes 2 - The British Forces, Company of Heroes 2 - Victory at Stalingrad Mission Pack

Was under 20 during sale

Did you see the CoH2 bundle on the Steam Summer Sale for like 15 bux? It had the base game, Ardennes, Code Blue and other stuff.

Your post is a major piece of evidence for the power of waiting for those good sales. I love the game so far but yeah.. If one were to go ham on all that at list prices.. YIKES

This one:

Buy Company of Heroes 2: Master Collection
Includes 8 items: CoH 2 - The Western Front Armies: Oberkommando West, CoH 2 - The Western Front Armies: US Forces, Company of Heroes 2, Company of Heroes 2 - Ardennes Assault, Company of Heroes 2 - Case Blue Mission Pack, Company of Heroes 2 - Southern Fronts Mission Pack, Company of Heroes 2 - The British Forces, Company of Heroes 2 - Victory at Stalingrad Mission Pack

Was under 20 during sale

Maybe I did see it, but I figured the base game would be relatively complete going off how the original Company of Heroes was. I did wait for the sale which is what upsets me too. Usually I don't bother or buy DLC unless I know I already love the base game, so I bought the base game for the $9 to see and I do like it but now that the Spring Sale is over i'm shit out of luck. Regardless, it is still ridiculous how cut-up the game is.

Maybe I did see it, but I figured the base game would be relatively complete going off how the original Company of Heroes was. I did wait for the sale which is what upsets me too. Usually I don't bother or buy DLC unless I know I already love the base game, so I bought the base game for the $9 to see and I do like it but now that the Spring Sale is over i'm shit out of luck. Regardless, it is still ridiculous how cut-up the game is.
It was complete for the portion they released, just like the original that only had an American campaign. With Opposing Fronts they released the German and British Campaigns, and then the 3 hero unit campaigns - so to speak - with Tales of Valor. Have you played the original lately ? Despite the fact that there were effectively 3 separate games released, they are all together in a single presentation. COH2 is the same way. The original game was the Russian campaign. Then they released other campaigns that are now combined into a single presentation. BTW, micro-transactions are not campaigns you buy for $10, but some tiny boost in a particular skirmish for 30 cents. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the addons are only good in multiplayer anyhow. They don't change how the campaigns play out.

CoH2 is a complete clusterfuck of a game - nothing like the original in terms of competitive aspects, balancing, and community.
A complete waste of time and money.

CoH2 is a complete clusterfuck of a game - nothing like the original in terms of competitive aspects, balancing, and community.

I tried my best to get into it but it was so much different than the original I just couldn't do it.

I found the first one to HEAVILY favor the British because of the Arty. I quit playing because of that.

Back