is comcast slow for anyone else?

kronchev

[H]F Junkie
I'm in central-ish NJ and comcast has been absolutly terrible for the past few days, more than usual. never mind the 40k capped upload speed, websites and connections are just SLOW. as in when I try to navigate to a site, I usually have to wait about 30 secs between typing in an address/clicking a link before it even starts to connect. when it does, its fine. large file downloads are fine when it actually connects, but forget upload; i tried to upload some pics to my website and was getting, seriously, 0.8k/sec. and the site is fine as download is perfectly fine.

my friends connection has been dropping about every 5 minutes, and he gets the same slowness as I do.

so anyone else?

Comcast are a bunch of idiots....They doubled the speed but my speed got cut in half from 1.5 mega bits/second to around 600 kilobits/sec

Call COMCAST and they have this little announcmenet thingy which is like "we're a bunch of nubs, accordingly, we're experiencing technical difficulties in the following areas: blah, blah, and blah"

so that way they let you know where they've screwed up before you can rant at 'em :rolleyes:

When they switched me over to 3 Mbps from 1.5 Mbps, I had a lot of drops and re-syncs between my cable modem and their network. It lasted about a week, but has been damn stable (and fast) again since then, which has been about a month.

BB

Don't even get me started on TWIT-Cast cable. Besides the abso-tively POOOOOOOTastic DL speeds of 100K/Sec (compared to 400k 3 months ago), they are UBERnifty math majors now. My bill has a PARTIAL month CHARGE of $96.13 for _3_ weeks of service and my normal service is $73 and some change a month, plus a ___47___ dollar charge for an unreturned converter that I Have never had. They even admit they have no paperwork signed by me saying I received it, but they refuse to credit me. Comcast has gone to $*** in the past few months around NJ and it is disgusting me. The only thing keeping me on Comcast is that Verizon said DSL is unavailable at my residence due to line length, but the people 120ft away from my on the corner can get 7MB DSL. *grumbles*

-/LB/-

Originally posted by diredesire
ditto in vancouver
Originally posted by jwill
same neighbor.

Wow, there's a few of us here. Only problem I've had was high pings to the modem (NIC issue). Fixed that and all has been well. Steady 3.3mbit down with 15ms pings to a few people in Canada.

Originally posted by SGSeeker
Wow, there's a few of us here. Only problem I've had was high pings to the modem (NIC issue). Fixed that and all has been well. Steady 3.3mbit down with 15ms pings to a few people in Canada.
yep, except i've gotten 2x letters from comcast already warning us about being 100x over the national median or some BS like that... my bro juts needs to cut down on his pr0n dls.. *rolls eyes*

:rolleyes:

They switched me over from 1.5 Mbps to 3 Mbps here in Minnesota about a month ago with no problems to date.

I live in Wilmington, DE right below Philly, i've been having problems since saturday as well, its really annoying.

Originally posted by t0x1k
Comcast are a bunch of idiots....They doubled the speed but my speed got cut in half from 1.5 mega bits/second to around 600 kilobits/sec
CALL THEM, your modem may be refusing updates and they might have to force update your modem, thats what happened to me.;)

I pretty much despise Comcrap.

When I first got them I had dl speeds of 200k/s capped.

Then the line was up and down for weeks, sometimes I went days without service because it was too spastic.

Then I call them and for the past 6 months they have the message "We are experience technical difficulties in blah blah" Then they decided to jump us up to 3.5mbps, so now I download 378k/s capped. I get really good pings when I play CS (sometimes 5-15!). That was a good move on their part, but when they did the turnover the line was up and down again. Now it has been up for about a month straight.

The only cool things with Comcrap were:

The increase to 3.5mpbs (to compete with Cox)
And when I had a technician come out to fix the line, we had a real good conversation about modding xbox's and he gave me a ton of information and help on how to mod my xbox!
Low pings

The bad things about Comcrap are:

The technician that set it up (not the cool one) took FOREVER to install the modem and line
Even though the modem was setup, I still had to wait 2 days before I had service
The line can go down for days at any moment
High priced
They give you crappy modems (at least in VA)

i noticed these problems a week or so ago.. their dns servers are slower then hell.. i resolved this by using some other dns servers.. verizons i think.. 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

now the lag in dns is gone.. but my line still lags a bit.. playing ut2k4 online is hard at times.. with over 100 ping times..

i'm in S.E. michigan.. so maybe this slow down is only effecting the eastern side of the country? i dunno.. but its ticking me off as well..

Originally posted by (7\)
i noticed these problems a week or so ago.. their dns servers are slower then hell.. i resolved this by using some other dns servers.. verizons i think.. 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2
Comcast user here. I am guessing that if I do not have any DNS servers specified in the network settings, then by default I get Comcast's. I see some people mention that they are specifying DNS servers in their setups. Is this common practice? What are the downfalls to explicitly listing DNS servers?

Originally posted by mfm
Comcast user here. I am guessing that if I do not have any DNS servers specified in the network settings, then by default I get Comcast's. I see some people mention that they are specifying DNS servers in their setups. Is this common practice? What are the downfalls to explicitly listing DNS servers?

yes via dhcp you will get comcasts DNS servers...

no real downfall to specifying diffrent servers.. if those servers go down.. or block your useage.. you can always revert back to comcast DNS

Back