Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.
im looking at mitsubishi diamond pro monitors and noticing that the ones with spectravision cost about double the price...i look at what spectravision does and it only seems to effect color consistancy...do i really need that?
Ummm....well, as per your thread title on "color calibration" I think that is crap for two reasons.
1. When I've got the monitor set how I like it and I think it looks great, it's "calibrated" =)
2. I had a DVD program come with little blue and grey color cards that you are supposed to hold next to the monitor to calibrate the colors. When I was done, it looked horrible.
the calibration thing is only if your a professional and HAVE to have accurate colors across the screen. I have the fp2141 w/o spectravision garbage and I was able to get it looking great. It does have all the test patterns you could ever want. I guess the little spectravision is supposed to see better than my own damn eyes or something. Of course everybody's eyes are different so i guess it calibrates according to some universal standard which might look like crap to some people.
Anyways, unless your work is paying for it, get the monitor w/o spectravision. Although it will take some time to calibrate it. It took a few days for me to get the settings just perfect. So maybe a total of an hour or 2 adjusting. Just be read to adjust the focus controls on the left side of the monitor. Or else your corners will be blurry.
When you look at a monitor and everything looks great, that doesn't mean it's properly calibrated. Monitor color calibration is for when you need to have accurate color representation for prepress. Color can differ drastically depending on alot of factors. From the ambient lighting to the color of clothes you're wearing. That's why you can't rely on pure eyesight for proper calibration.
Some people seem to have monitor calibration all wrong. They adjust the brightness,contrast and some color settings via eyesight and call it calibration. Definitely not correct. Although it's partially for making the color look correct to your eyes, it's mostly for accurately matching the color you see on screen to the color that'll come out of the press. (even though it's still not 100% accurate, but it's still closer than it'll be without calibration)
So, main point is that if you're not making a living working as a graphic designer (or any other field that requires accurate color reproduction) there's no need in my opinion to waste money for calibration software & hardware.
If you decide that you indeed desire proper calibration. Pantone offers a pretty good bundle. Spyder Pro Suite
I think that I can "calibrate" something to the point where it looks lifelike. And if some suite or hardware wants to change things and afterwords it doesn't look good or doesn't look lifelike, I think that calibration suite was a waste of money.
I think the human eye, trained or not, is the best. We look at people, trees, etc. all day long and the eye can tell when it's lifelike or not.
umm, well it may look lifelike to you but you can't tell how it's going to look once it hits the press.
I don't think you're understanding my point.
Of course you can make it look "lifelike" (atleast to you) with your vision, but there's no way you can match it with the printed version. That's where calibration comes in. For example, traditional four color process won't look as accurate compared to what you see on the screen, therefore color matching systems such as PMS is utilized.
Well, like I said before , for someone like you that don't work with graphics will and should be satified with calibration via your eyes.
Human eye, trained or not is not the best. The human eye can be manipulated and fooled in many many ways. So how can you believe such things as color is so accurate? Your so called "calibrated" monitor may look perfect to you, but it may look totally different to me.
Remember, I'm talking about calibrating for accurate color reproduction that applies to prepress. So for the casual users, normal "eye calibration" should be fine.
Colour calibration is a MUST for graphics professional, you might look at the monitor when you THINK the colour is right. but after you printed it out, its totally different. try to open a picture(jpeg or whatever it is) between two different monitor and mostly they will look different.
couple years ago i made a nice yellow banner for a customer site and after we print it out it goes a bit greenish (from a un calibrated Sony G200 17" monitor it do looks yellow). printed version is always different then monitor version. ask someone work in printing matter field and they will tell you.. if its CMYK 4 colour print it even get worse sometimes.
they want something printed EXACTLY what they saw from the monitor, not something that the colour will change to something else.