Is Backlit Better?

JeffC

Weaksauce
OK I am just wondering if backlit is better and worth an extra $40+? Here is a good example. These 2 monitors are identical except for one is backlit:

$289.99 - ASUS VE276Q Black 27" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
$329.99 - ASUS VE278Q Black 27" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor

Jeff

CCFL vs LED. in general monitors with LED backlighting consume less power, have a longer 'bulb life', and don't require a warm-up period (in other words they reach full brightness almost instantly). i actually had both of these particular monitors on my desk side by side for a night. i prefer the CCFL lit VE276Q, but it's a subjective thing. most monitors with LED backlighting look a little harsh to me, overly white and lacking warmth.

The CCFL version has much better viewing angles (very good for a TN), refer to this thread.

Edge Lit LED panels typically have worse screen uniformity as well, go CCFL.

I've had only negative experience with LED backlight so far, go CCFL.

Of people who feel LED are too harsh....have these been calibrated with a SpyderPro2 or similar? A calibrator can tune out a lot of variances.

The CCFL version is most likely - at this price point and for this market segment - edge mounted (top and bottom) and thus does not consist of multiple CCFLs mounted behind the diffuser (i.e. backlit). That being said, at that price point i'd go for the CCFL version.

CCFL <3

LED backlighting is for my mobile devices. Don't want to see it anywhere near my desktop monitors unless it's a full RGB LED backlighting (which they seldom sell anymore due to high cost). The backlighting on most white LED backlit screens now gives a yellowish-blue tint to whites which is undesirable for me.

The one small bonus with LED is the immediate warm up time, I have a PX2370(LED) and 2333T(CCFL) side by side and the 2333T turns on with a dim picture for a couple minutes, the PX is immedaitely at full brightness on power-up.

But I'd probably go with the CCFL version based on the led casting a slight blue hue in darker scenes (mainly only in areas of backlight bleed, unless you can find a unit without bleed).

Why would anyone want a backlit LCD?

Thin, light, doesn't use a lot of power. Not too significant for desktop lcd's but for tv's its quite a bit (my 3008wfp gets pretty warm too). My 46" sony would heat up my room quite a bit with it and the computer on. With my 55" samsung led my room doesn't get nearly as warm. The only thing I don't like about it is the black uniformity but it's only noticable on really dark screens and I got the 55" for $800 new so not a really big deal to me.

Back