Is backlight bleed like this normal for IPS???

JoeUser

2[H]4U
Just received my "open-box" PA248Q from Newegg and uhhh...

IMG_20120918_185150_zps5433a108.jpg

Is this normal? Seems a tad excessive to me...

Are all IPS like this or is it apparent why someone returned it to make it "open-box"?

:confused::confused::confused:

That degree of bleed is very common, keep exchanging it until you get a good one.

Really? Is the problem THAT common? Does quality control not exist or is it so common that Asus sees this as being OK?

Hmm...also, call me what you will, but besides viewing angle I don't see what all the raving over IPS is about. Colors, brightness, and (at least on this one) contrast aren't really all that amazing compared to my cheap ass Dell LCD I use at work.

I just don't anymore!

That's probably the one I sent back to them. Sure looks familiar.

The backlight bleed is VERY similar to the one I returned to Amazon and the one I have now. I wonder if there is a problem with the bezel/housing on the right side.

My zr2440w has a similar problem, though to a lesser extent. Waiting on a new replacement from HP.

I don't have high hopes for this though, eventually going to get a Samsung 970D once it goes back to the $799 price again (can't believe I missed that sale) or may be a NEC P271W.

All LG IPS panels are mostly crap, only the NEC ones are any good mostly because of the special electronics like color comp they incorporate to compensate for panel flaws.

There no good sub-$1000 monitors out there.

Last edited:
Hows the contrast on IPS? Like, without the tremendous amount of backlight bleed now it still seems that IPS (or at least this one) is far from deep rich blacks like my CRT, AMOLED Galaxy Note, and my TN work monitor...so if I don't like the contrast now should I just look at getting a VA panel instead?

I knew IPS contrast wasn't mind blowing or anything but I was at least expecting a lot better than this!!!

I've seen the best contrast on VA and AMOLED panels; IPS and cheap TNs are pretty bad, nice TNs can be very good, rivaling VA.

Thing is, you get more 'dynamic range' in the IPS/VA panels; even if black isn't 'black', there's still more real 'contrast' to be had. And you'll never get the response times and low input lag IPS is capable of (at the same time) out of a VA (or PLS). There's just too much precharging to be done on those panels.

I'm convinced I've gotten a cheap knockoff here...

After closer examination it seems that viewing angles seem to be horribly off when compared to videos and reviews of other low end IPS monitors...I can tilt my head 6 inches off center and already notice ill effects.

Definitely going to be giving Newegg a call tomorrow. I'm not a snob or anything about monitors, but for the $250 I spent I feel I haven't gotten anything worth half that...

This not a 'knockoff', just a bad sample, only problem is that bad samples are about 50-60% of what comes of LG Display's production lines as 'acceptable' panels, this is really disappointing to say the least.

Why they don't use A-TW polarizer films anymore is beyond me, given that these problems can be almost eliminated by incorporating that film, hell a $100-150 premium per monitor for such a film would be well worth it IMHO.

I really wanted to like the PA248Q - ordered one from Newegg the first day it was available (back in July). It had a great stand, 1:1 pixel mapping, good color while gaming - it's just the panel had pretty bad bleed through on all four corners (especially the bottom right - very much like yours). Plus it had a pink hue on the right side of the screen. Sent it back for a Dell U2412M and got a much more uniform panel with no bleed through problems. I calibrated it using a Spyder4 Elite - blacks are very deep and whites are bright and clean. Still, I've read complaints regarding backlight issues for that model too. Plus I've had people seem pretty incredulous (bordering on accusing me of lying or in denial) that I could have good image quality with such "aggressive" AG coating. I do think it has a better record than most ASUS IPS monitors though - there are tons of complaints regarding backlight bleeding for them.

Wow...yours looks MUCH better...well, I got a refund from Newegg and mine is going back tomorrow.

I'm thinking I'm going to try a VA panel this time...now that I see that colors aren't all that "OMGWTFAMAZIN" compared to TN I guess that color isn't as important to me as contrast is.

Oh well, try again!

Now that's about the way my U2412M looks. I probably should have returned my PA248Q for exchange instead of refund, but I'm impatient.

See, I bought mine open-box...so refund was the only option.

Which I'm actually quite happy about considering I sold my Playbook for $200 today...so that puts me at $450-500 for a monitor now...hmmm...

Back