• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is ATI drivers compared to NVIDIA that bad?

having used both ati and nvidias latest drivers, both are fine. i just prefer nvidia.
 
Hmm I personally have had less problems with ATI drivers, but thats just me. My wife's PC has an X800XT PE while I have a 7800GTX. Just my observations.
 
From Ti4400 to ATI 9700/9800Pro, and now a 6800Go, my opinion is, they're both fine drivers. Never had issues with ATI drivers or Nvidia drivers.
 
I have always found nVidia drivers to be better. But it really depends on the user and what options you want.

Also depends on how you install the drivers...
 
Only ATI card I had was a 9600XT for a couple weeks.

During that, admitedly short, time, I really was missing my good ol' Nvidia drivers.

One huge plus, imho, is the Nvidia (possibly a coolbits addition) Display
Optimization Wizard.

And apparently, I installed the crappy version of the ATI CC that required
me to install Microsoft's .NET framework for some lame reason.
 
As far as game functionality goes I think both are great.

But I hate hate HATE ATi's drivers for multiple monitors. I think Nvidias have so many more options to them. Plus paired with Ultramon it makes them even better.

I also like Nvidias profiles, now that they work... kinda.
 
CCC sucks for me, sucked with my 9600pro, sucked with my 9800pro, and still sucks with my X800XL, so i just download the regular control panel drivers. And they work fine. Albeit ATI's drivers have never been to nice to me about dual monitors and clone displays and such, my cousins Geforce2 does better...but other than that the drivers for nVidia look in a way nicer, but in the end have the same functionality as ATI's drivers for their respective cards.
 
No matter was version of the CCC you have to have the .NET Framework. That is what the CCC is coded in. And I like ATi drivers...all be it the CCC takes a week to load. The Nvidia Profiles and Mutli Moniter Interface was however nicer. ATi has Hydravision but its far lacking I think to the Nvidias version of it.
 
Agromahdi123 said:
CCC sucks for me, sucked with my 9600pro, sucked with my 9800pro, and still sucks with my X800XL, so i just download the regular control panel drivers. And they work fine. Albeit ATI's drivers have never been to nice to me about dual monitors and clone displays and such, my cousins Geforce2 does better...but other than that the drivers for nVidia look in a way nicer, but in the end have the same functionality as ATI's drivers for their respective cards.

LOL - not anymore! :p

Cat 5.8 was the last one that will include the CP. Cat 5.9 and up is CCC only.

OR, you can just do what I'm going to do. Download "Driver Only", and forget the CP *or* the CCC and use ATI Tray Tools.

And, hey, it's more powerful than either of the above *anyway*.
 
Well judging which are better involves a broad range of criteria:

Interface: nVidia is better.
Display options: nVidia is clearly better when used in conjuction with Coolbits 2.0.
Game compatiblity: Both work equally well.
Overall: nVidia is better because of the first two points mentioned above.
 
Whoever is praising the nVidia drivers should really read up on the 6800 release drivers fiasco(remmeber UT and FarCry?). And also alot of other nVidia sponsored games don't work very well IMO.
 
I've had my 6800GT since July of last year and its been great, My last card was a 9800 Pro and I had no problems with it either.

I never got a chance to use the dual monitor function on ATI but it works great on Nvidia.
 
dderidex said:
LOL - not anymore! :p

Cat 5.8 was the last one that will include the CP. Cat 5.9 and up is CCC only.

OR, you can just do what I'm going to do. Download "Driver Only", and forget the CP *or* the CCC and use ATI Tray Tools.

And, hey, it's more powerful than either of the above *anyway*.
well i use omegadrivers
 
The CCC is really quite quick now actually. And at most it takes 5 mega bytes top. The load times are almost non-existant. I admit though before the Cat 5.6 CCC came out I always only used the CP but after 5.6 the CCC was just too good to pass up.
I think Nvidias Drivers are fine, confusing to me but thats only because my experience is with ATI Drivers and everything takes time to learn.
 
BloodRayne said:
Whoever is praising the nVidia drivers should really read up on the 6800 release drivers fiasco(remmeber UT and FarCry?). And also alot of other nVidia sponsored games don't work very well IMO.

Yeah because ATi has never had any problems with there drivers and games....



EV-ER :rolleyes:
 
ATI's Linux drivers suck. After having a radeon 9800 pro for a while, I will not buy an ati card for my computer for a long, long time.
 
i tried both drivers

9800pro -- > x800xt AIW --> 6800gt PCI-e

while its fun to wait for driver releases @ Driverheaven i most prefer Nvidia drivers just because i get more choices. There are practically 3-4 driver releases every month by Nvidia
 
I've used both and they seem to be about the same. I like ATi's a little better though.


while its fun to wait for driver releases @ Driverheaven i most prefer Nvidia drivers just because i get more choices. There are practically 3-4 driver releases every month by Nvidia

IIRC there was a 4 or 5 month gap in the WHQL certified drivers a few months ago. :p
 
Hi,

As a programmer I have to say NVIDIA is better. If you check OpenGL and DirectX prog. foruns you will find very often things like:

"Test your code on ATI, if it works, it will run everywhere"

As an user, I can't see much of a difference. Although the nvidia openGL drivers perform better when the program uses newest extensions.

Cheers
 
I always find that NVidia is able to provide much more significant speed enhancements in future versions of Forceware. You buy a fast card and it gets faster with every new driver release.
 
comparing ATI drivers to Nvidia drivers is not a direct apples to apples comparison.

Both companies take a different approach to driver support. Nvidia floods the net with beta "leaks" and unoficial releases. ATI carefully guards their drivers and has a single monthey release.

Both company's drivers have their merits. I prefer Nvidia's approach of providing many betas and releases. I don't think either driver is more or less "buggy" then the other, besides the quirks associated to each respective GPU architecture design.

I do feel, though, that ATI's drivers have improved the most out of all in the past year.
 
Shifra said:
you know what? my ccc says YOU suck. not sure why though.

heh

I personally like CCC too and works fine (especially the the past 4 versions)
I like nvidia's too. I don't understand the whole *companies* drivers suck. Both are pretty much equal. Some qwarks here and there on both sides.
 
swatX said:
There are practically 3-4 driver releases every month by Nvidia

You are correct. BUT it usually takes two months of said releases for me to find one that works well all around.
 
Yashu said:
comparing ATI drivers to Nvidia drivers is not a direct apples to apples comparison.

Both companies take a different approach to driver support. Nvidia floods the net with beta "leaks" and unoficial releases. ATI carefully guards their drivers and has a single monthey release.

Both company's drivers have their merits. I prefer Nvidia's approach of providing many betas and releases. I don't think either driver is more or less "buggy" then the other, besides the quirks associated to each respective GPU architecture design.

I do feel, though, that ATI's drivers have improved the most out of all in the past year.


nVidia may flood the net with beta drivers and unofficial ones.

But have you guys (the ones that bitch about beta drivers) thought about this? nVidia could be releaseing these beta drivers to have the comunity help with debugging and possible proformence increases?

I myself enjoy the mass amount of beta drivers and unofficial and official drivers. I have more of a choice to pick from. Plus i can help nVidia with there trouble shooting and debugging if i wanted to. I think they get leaked on purpose.

Either way, I have more of a choice in driver selection than ati peeps do.
 
Howcome ATi never has these problems and comes out with really good Cat. drivers that work flawlessly.
 
I prefer:
nvidia for mobile drivers
ati for Windows MCE drivers
nvidia for regular WinXP drivers
nvidia for linux drivers
 

I like ATI drivers better as a whole. Seem to have less graphical errors both in games and in 2d desktop use. Nvidia's control panel seems much easier to use.
 
BloodRayne said:
Howcome ATi never has these problems and comes out with really good Cat. drivers that work flawlessly.
Catalyst have never worked flawlessly, just like the detonators never have. Stop humping ATi's leg.
 
I have both nVidia and ATi drivers, and I prefer ATi. Also I hear that nvidia has alot of trouble all the time(6800 release drivers, 7800 shimmering...the whole FX series?).
 
List of cards are

TnT2- Ultra
Geforce DDR
Geforce 2 Ultra
Radeon 8500 AIW DV
Radeon 9800XT

I had horrible trouble getting any drivers to work with my 8500 AIW the fact that everything would crash if the 3 different files you had to load where loaded in the incorrect order. Or the Fact that to update the drivers for the card itself I had to install it as a random non-ATI-non-Nvidia card. I only installed new drivers for this three times an once everything worked I left it alone for fear of having to do this again.

That said I never had any problem with drivers for my 9800XT, But I can still remember the old days of both my Geforce DDR and Geforce2 practically doubleing their performance from when I first purchsed them due to the drivers. My new machine I am almost done building has a 7800GTX and the Idea of using it feels like like talking to a Friend you haven't seen in years.
 
flameflameflameflame ... I like ATI better, although it seems like it'll be years before the next gen cards... le sigh.
 
After I went from a 9600XT to a 6800GT, I find that I prefer Nvidia's drivers, especially with coolbits it's much more friendly to use
 
I've never had any trouble with ATI's drivers (save the 5.1 disaster), but the nvidia drivers raped me in the face last time I had to install them... I ended up having to do a repair install of Windows just so I could see the login screen (in safe mode or otherwise).

That said, none of my friends have ever had trouble with the nvidia drivers apart from select god-awful beta releases.

Either way, I don't mind. I don't use the CCC (and have never tried it because of the .NET requirment), but the normal CP and ATItool work wonderfully for me.

As for the l00nix guys... Silly h4x0r, gaming is for Windows!
 
I just got today my 7800gtx and haven't experienced any troubles with nvidia's drivers, but i still prefer the drivers done by ati. :cool:
 
I want to kill CCC. I hate it, it's bloated, it's slow, it's annoying, and there's no point to it. The other stuff was fine.
 
I'm still runnin my Gefore 4 ti4200 that i took from my old pc. I am running a 2.8 p4 800mhz side bus. I am considering going ati but theyr drivers are funny. My friend had got an ATI 9600XT he loves the speed. We both play Counter Strike source but every once in a while he has to drop outta the game because of video card technical dificulties. I have a inferior card but it is more stable, help me decide next gen ATI or NVIDIA 7800gtx By then I will update my pc prob a AMD x-2 4400.
 
Back
Top