Is Assassins Creed IV just poorly optimized or is something wrong on my end?

hajalie24

[H]ard|Gawd
2 R9 290s, i5 2500k at 4.6ghz. Vsync is off.

I'm getting frequent drops to 50 fps with some action and 35-40 in highly populated areas. BF4 completely maxed out gave me 100+ FPS in the test map (I don't really play the game much to give non-test results)

Everything is maxed in the game, but even when turning off AA and HBAO the minimum framerate barely improved.

Is the game this bad on AMD hardware? Is there some tweak that solves this or will I just have to deal with it?

It has had issues with AMD hardware since launch apparently. Try disabling Crossfire and see if it helps. Might not, but can't hurt.

Disabling crossfire doesn't help, initially had it disabled because of titanfall but crossfire improves the minimum fps by 5 or so.

Optimization is terrible, I bet they have no crossfire support either. I have an OCed GTX 780 and I had to turn off soft shadows(very high) and bump down to SMAA to get a steady frame rate. Screen tearing is atrocious and their v-sync is terrible. Great game, poor port.

APTyWpk.png

Got to enable "Enable CrossfireX for applications that have no profile"

I get locked 60fps at 1080P with 4xEQAA(8X) maxed everything else.

LMyrMNb.png

I think they removed that option in the beta drivers, I'll try going back to the official drivers and seeing what happens. My GPUs both run at 100% though, it seems like CPU1 gets maxed out in heavy areas while the other cores are at around 50%

I could have sworn that option was there in 13.12, but when I went back to that driver I no longer see it. What version are you using pandora's box?

I could have sworn that option was there in 13.12, but when I went back to that driver I no longer see it. What version are you using pandora's box?

13.12 under windows 8.1

I believe you can create a custom profile for assassins creed 4 and set crossfire up that way in the profile.

Crossfire is working already though, both my GPUs are being utilized.

Are you sure you get absolutely no slowdowns when there's you're in a city with lots of NPCs? Or when there's a storm and you board an enemy ship? In the latter it dips to around 28 FPS for me, seems unlikely it will stay at 60 FPS for you unless something is wrong on my end.

Or maybe it's your CPU? Though I don't think it should make that much of a difference...

And while I'm at it, anyone know how to force vsync besides using the ingame option? CCC or d3doverrider do not work for me.

I have an i7 4770K at 4.4ghz and a GTX 780 overclocked to 1.2ghz and I can get some bad slowdowns especially during rain scenes and ship boarding activities.

The game is just badly optimized and not surprising coming from Ubisoft and their stance on PC gaming. I still have enjoyed all the AC games on PC so far.

That's what I thought, what a shame, I remember the AC2 series performing really well with just my 4870. I don't even remember slowdowns in the city in ACIII, and I was just using a single 7870 then since crossfire was broken. My memory could be hazy for the last part though.

I've played all the AC games on PC (except for Liberation thus far) and I recall only seeing these performance dips and sometimes random crashes in AC4. Its a shame but hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the game TOO terribly. :)

The biggest issue is with many users losing their save games thanks to UPlay's crappy cloud save implementation. I feel for those who have put 20+ hours and lost it all. I was lucky only to lose a few hours of progress. I just went and shut off the cloud sync which is enabled by default and went on my merry way.

One major issue with the game is that there's no triple buffering enabled. If you're playing with vsync enabled (in any of its many forms), that means the game will cut your FPS in half if you aren't hitting the same FPS as your refresh rate.
To enable Triple Buffering you can use a 3rd party tool (like D3DOverrider or RadeonPro) or you can use a little trick to make the game itself force it:

1. Open the game and go to an island of some sort where your character is standing on land.
2. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and open the Task Manager
3. Wait 2 seconds
4. Close the Task Manager and go back to the game
5. Voila - triple buffering is mysteriously enabled in the game

See if that helps.

Try turning the Physics down in the options. I believe ACIV is using PhysX, and running PhysX on the CPU really tanks performance. That said, the game is poorly optimized as others have pointed out, and I believe the game is locked to 60-62 FPS.

Yikes, better backup my save to be sure.

Radeon pro forced vsync works for me, but the game became very choppy. Come to think of it it's the exact same issue I've been having with AMD for over a year now, but my usual fix doesn't seem to have worked.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040159591&postcount=7

Sigh, sometimes I wonder why I stick with AMD (well the litecoins I mined was nice)

Also, there are no physx options in the game, I'm assuming since I don't have a Nvidia card it disables it by default.

Back