• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is artic silver dead?

Arctic Silver.

That stuff doesn't look like it can be produced in mass quantity...
 
That looks very interesting :)

I would like to see a review site try that stuff to see how it works.
 
From the sellers feedback it looks like good stuff, but its hard to tell HOW well it works.
 
if that is what i think it is, it probably is not good to use as a TIM, more than likely it is gallium (or gallium alloy) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium , the problem i would see is use in vertical environment, this stuff melts at body temp and is a liquid like mercury, it has the possibility to seep out and short out components
 
Heh thats probably why you use a very little small amount (a dot) of it and brush it out. Didnt think of that. Plus look at the pricing. Arctic silver alone costs $10, and pretty much everyone knows it gets the job done. Not much to loose by going with it.


Wonder if there is any kind of patent on that silver stuff on ebay?!
 
pstang said:
if that is what i think it is, it probably is not good to use as a TIM, more than likely it is gallium (or gallium alloy) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium , the problem i would see is use in vertical environment, this stuff melts at body temp and is a liquid like mercury, it has the possibility to seep out and short out components
I thought of the exact same thing; "Wouldn't it leak out?".
 
DaRkF0g said:
Heh thats probably why you use a very little small amount (a dot) of it and brush it out. Didnt think of that. Plus look at the pricing. Arctic silver alone costs $10, and pretty much everyone knows it gets the job done. Not much to loose by going with it.


Wonder if there is any kind of patent on that silver stuff on ebay?!

ive seen chemistry supply stores online that sell viles of it... i used to have a link, but i cant find it

edit: found links- http://www.scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/thermo/liquid_metal/liquid_metal.html
https://www.scitoyscatalog.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SC&Category_Code=H
 
iddqd said:
I thought of the exact same thing; "Wouldn't it leak out?".
You wouldn't use pure gallium!

If you used pure Gallium, it would melt in no time and get everywhere. But a Gallium compund will always be a solid
 
Shameless Liar said:
You wouldn't use pure gallium!

If you used pure Gallium, it would melt in no time and get everywhere. But a Gallium compund will always be a solid

if you look at my link above a gallium/tin/indium alloy melts at -20C
 
I use the Arctic Ceramique. That stuff is awesome! Much better than the silver because its non conductive, but hass amazing heat transfer capability.
 
Knocked 15 degrees of my temp, excellent service and very fast delivery A+++++++

Just one of the feedbacks left by one if his buyers. I wouldn't go by those comments, most don't know what they're doing, especially this one...
 
I would wait until those numbers are verified. Looks like gallium or a gallium compound to me. Those temperature deltas are large, wait until a dependable source reviews it.
 
DaRkF0g said:
Heh thats probably why you use a very little small amount (a dot) of it and brush it out. Didnt think of that. Plus look at the pricing. Arctic silver alone costs $10, and pretty much everyone knows it gets the job done. Not much to loose by going with it.


Wonder if there is any kind of patent on that silver stuff on ebay?!

You're buying AS5 way overpriced.
 
personally, I'll never use AC5 ever again
Nor will I use Shin Etsu

Why? Because im tired of it becoming glue and ripping my cpu out of its socket every time I remove the HSF

It's happened 3 times. The Thermalright XP90's retention mechinism sucks if you want to remove it.

Artec Ceramique for me from now on

SVC has it for under 3 bucks + free shipping. best deal out there
 
I think it'de be better to find out what it's actually composed of before going ahead and trying it. Right now I can't even find an actual site that sells this.

Very suspicious.
 
Ruffy said:
personally, I'll never use AC5 ever again
Nor will I use Shin Etsu

Why? Because im tired of it becoming glue and ripping my cpu out of its socket every time I remove the HSF

It's happened 3 times. The Thermalright XP90's retention mechinism sucks if you want to remove it.

Artec Ceramique for me from now on

SVC has it for under 3 bucks + free shipping. best deal out there

dude, you gotta warm it up a little before you pull the HS off.
 
Not even talking about the fact the ceramique gets even stickier than AS3 or AS5. BTW, looking at their charts confirms one thing that i found out. MX1 paste from the guys from arctic cooling (not arctic silver) actually is a little better than AS5.
 
Ruffy said:
personally, I'll never use AC5 ever again
Nor will I use Shin Etsu

Why? Because im tired of it becoming glue and ripping my cpu out of its socket every time I remove the HSF

It's happened 3 times. The Thermalright XP90's retention mechinism sucks if you want to remove it.

Artec Ceramique for me from now on

SVC has it for under 3 bucks + free shipping. best deal out there
It doesn't matter what you use. The surface of the IHS is slightly concave, so it becomes a suction cup once you press the HSF down. The only way to take it off, is to either slide it to either side; or if there's no room - you could try twisting in free.
Shameless Liar said:
You wouldn't use pure gallium!

If you used pure Gallium, it would melt in no time and get everywhere. But a Gallium compund will always be a solid
Not when it's heated to 70°C+
 
gallium and alloys with it mix easily with aluminum and eat through it... hehe so they are right with their warning.
 
Talonz said:
If your heatsink reaches 70C then you probably should look into a new one.
waterblock, and no, I shouldn't. Though reducing the voltage from 1.89vcore might be a good idea.
 
iddqd said:
waterblock, and no, I shouldn't. Though reducing the voltage from 1.89vcore might be a good idea.

I wasn't referring to your particular setup, but in general, if your system is running at 70degrees C, you probably have a problem. Still, a good point.
 
If I had some spare parts, I'd buy some to try it out and compare it versus AS5.
 
Well, I have an idea. Why not just solder the HSF onto the IHS, then? Solder has very good heat conductivity. Someone should try this.
 
No seriously. The way it works, is you cover both surfaces with flux, then heat the solder. Capilarry action should suck the solder right into the gap.
 
yup i just recnetly ripped my p4 3.0 ht out of its 478 socket, and bent the pins on the chip, had to use a tweaser to straighten them out and shove it back into the socket and its works like it always has, but damn it was like glue. might try that artic ceramique stuff.
 
iddqd said:
No seriously. The way it works, is you cover both surfaces with flux, then heat the solder. Capilarry action should suck the solder right into the gap.

Couldn't the heat from the solder or iron potentially damage the CPU? Molten solder can get quite hot, even if it is for a short period of time.

I'd like to see someone do this, but it would suck not being able to remove your heatsink from your CPU...

I would also imagine that it would be incredibly difficult to desolder such a joint.
 
Another vote for Ceramique. AS5 is nice but for 99% the performance and 10 times easier to work with'ness i'd rather the Ceramique any day.
 
DarkenReaper57 said:
Couldn't the heat from the solder or iron potentially damage the CPU? Molten solder can get quite hot, even if it is for a short period of time.

I'd like to see someone do this, but it would suck not being able to remove your heatsink from your CPU...

I would also imagine that it would be incredibly difficult to desolder such a joint.
Not sure... maybe. Desolder? Forget about that... the heatsink will keep dissipating heat, you'll never heat it to melting point.

The real problem is the heat transfer between the core and the IHS itself; it's accomplished by a shitty thermal pad.
 
Back
Top