is anyone else happy

toenexx

Limp Gawd
that these new nvidia cards are also aiming towards other things as well as gaming?

i do a lot of animation and 3d visual effects and it's good to see some gaming technologies are already or will be in use in 3d animation software packages. i also play pc games, so its like hitting a two birds with one stone.

Its nice, but the industry as a whole is moving toward that with OpenCL and DirectCompute already. Visual Studio integration and C++ code is nice though.

the question is whether or not this sharp turn will pay off big later. I don't pretend to understand gpu/gpgpu, but it seems NV is looking to the future while ATI is playing it "safe" with a standard gpu.

Will this turn into another intel vs amd circa 2004 where amd held gaming and intel held pretty much everything else, and then intel released a new architecture that obliterated anything amd.

that these new nvidia cards are also aiming towards other things as well as gaming?

i do a lot of animation and 3d visual effects and it's good to see some gaming technologies are already or will be in use in 3d animation software packages. i also play pc games, so its like hitting a two birds with one stone.

both worried and looking forward. I think Dan was right (put it in one sentence instead of my paragraph) in that its probably way before its time. I think there are some really neat things that could be done with this, I also am thinking that it will be like physx. so far one high end game that makes so so use of it. (and when hacked it runs fine on an i7) so as a tech enthusiast I am looking forward to. I would not want to be a Nvidia shareholder betting on it right now. though I would be happy to be proven wrong

Personally I'd rather see Nvidia and ATI do more with less... less heat, less power needed, less size, less noise.

I mean, it's great that these cards can do all these new features, but it's getting to the point where my computer room becomes an oven when I play games using my gtx295, my electric bill shoots up, and I have to turn up the volume of whatever I'm doing to hear it over the fan on the graphics card when it's cranking in 3d mode... this next generation looks to be worse in all of these areas.

the fans on these 5870's are much quieter than they were on the 48xx series cards. easily as quiet as gt200 based nvidia cards. the heat issue though is something entirely different. with improved manufacturing, these cards are supposed to operate cooler than their previous generation counterparts, but i swear if the radiant heat coming off the pcb isn't worse than it was in 2006.

If all they did was shrink the current chip, yes it would run cooler. We ask for more perfomance and they deliver but at a cost.

Sounds like a good idea, and I'm interested in doing various physics type things so I'm pleased. It's also a way to lock in a market.

To be honest, I could really not care less about GPGPU applications. I couldn't even if I tried.

I was gonna start the same thread. I used to play games, but now my computer is a tool. As an architecture student I spend a lot of time sitting around waiting for renders to finish, so I am reaaaaaallly excited about stupid things like the larrabee real-time raytracing video and fermi. I'm hoping that the consumer level GPGPU/cGPU features in the coming generation can be taken advantage of in rendering/modeling apps (I use vray/rhino but would consider switching if it helped my workflow).

Makes sense to me, of course someone would have to run the numbers on it, but it seems to make sense to gear the highest production towards a sector which actually produces (and thus can afford) the gear, vs a wholly pleasure based (read: "unnecessary") sector that perhaps doesn't.

Not to say that games aren't a huuuuge industry in and of themselves...

Currently I'm doing folding @home on my GPU besides playing video games. While it can be done on ATI cards too, it somehow perform better on nvidia cards, and since I have one so I'm not complaining

I'm planning on a new system next year, and I'm looking forward to using my current 9800GTX+ as a physx card.. ok well, actually thats gaming related, lol.

But I'm also looking forward to do more folding on my GPU, so my future card will probably be nVidia card as well

I'am thrilled!

I am sorry. You are wrong. The correct response is "The Love Boat!" :D

Or at least I think that's where Murry was going...

Dammit. Now that song is stuck in my head.

Murry, you're a bastard. :p

I'm trying to be excited, its just not working...

I keep getting hung up on the longer development time and higher cost for a card I would just use to game.

It is exciting, but out side of certain niches, I just don't see it taking off. I think it could be quite successful when used for certain professional apps. In the home consumer area, not so much. Mostly just gamers buy add in cards at all. Most people that don't game just make do with integrated. You would only have niche within a niche using the gpgpu stuff for the most part.

Back