Is Anybody going to buy COD Black Ops 2?

Are you going to buy the new COD?

• Yes

Votes: 68 16.3%
  • No

Votes: 271 65.0%
  • yeah, when it goes on sale on steam or another vendor

Votes: 78 18.7%

• Total voters
And the cheating has already started fast and furious. Cheaters are always a problem in online games, but it seems to be worse in CoD, the cheaters just don't seem to care much, they aren't crafty about it. BO2's vaunted special anti-cheat seems to be more or less useless. No particular surprise, I suppose.

And the cheating has already started fast and furious. Cheaters are always a problem in online games, but it seems to be worse in CoD, the cheaters just don't seem to care much, they aren't crafty about it. BO2's vaunted special anti-cheat seems to be more or less useless. No particular surprise, I suppose.

See, I only ever really played COD online on consoles with friends. I never really encountered cheaters or even someone that was reportable. Most of the time it was just me thinking they were cheating but really they weren't. Cheating in COD is easier on PC than consoles maybe thats why. But COD is meant to be a fun, fast paced DM game with friends. Not really a tactical high skill game like CS or something. Although I havent really liked COD since MW2 its still great fun with a lot of friends. BLOPS2 I am waiting to see how many of my friends get before I buy.

After Eurogamer review I'm tempted to get it, once it's in Steam sale. According to them Treyarch done some quality single player mode

It's P2P?

I almost can't beleive it. I've had zero host migration in 10hours of FFA.

I stopped playing MW3 after 5 hours because of cheaters and host migrations every two games

It's not P2P, it's all dedicated servers.

Private matchmaking is based on P2P host, the rest of the public matchmaking service is done so by Treyarch's global dedicated servers, the process look's like MW2/MW3's P2P matchmaking service is quite different, which is why we are able to get into game's quite fast with little to no lag.

After Eurogamer review I'm tempted to get it, once it's in Steam sale. According to them Treyarch done some quality single player mode

Buy the key from CJS CD Key, cheaper than retail not to mention even cheaper sometimes when they have discount's going on.

Private matchmaking is based on P2P host, the rest of the public matchmaking service is done so by Treyarch's global dedicated servers, the process look's like MW2/MW3's P2P matchmaking service is quite different, which is why we are able to get into game's quite fast with little to no lag.

Faster in Black ops MW3?

I haven't really had any trouble getting into matches, thats been nice at least. I never bother to wait for hosts though. If its not ready inside of a minute. I jump and research.

So they made it "look" like IWNET but it's Treyarch dedicated servers in the background.

I can't complain, it's working well for me. Very rarely suffered any lag (maybe 1 match in 10hours).

I'm scared that it will turn out like MW2/MW3 in a year and have no one left online. Thus making the game obsolete in just a year. So you guys are telling me that someone can't buy a server and have people play on it?

Last edited:
I'm scared that it will turn out like MW2/MW3 in a year and have no one left online. Thus making the game obsolete in just a year. So you guys are telling me that someone can't buy a server and have people play on it?

Nothing to be scared about thats actually normal. Per activision when a new MW comes out youre supposed to immediately stop playing old ones and forget they ever existed. However for what its worth tons of people still play COD4 and MW2.

So they made it "look" like IWNET but it's Treyarch dedicated servers in the background.

I can't complain, it's working well for me. Very rarely suffered any lag (maybe 1 match in 10hours).

Compared to the mess that was MW3 server setup and quick play options , Black Cocks 2 is a pleasure to play on the PC.

Nothing to be scared about thats actually normal. Per activision when a new MW comes out youre supposed to immediately stop playing old ones and forget they ever existed. However for what its worth tons of people still play COD4 and MW2.

I was one of the ones who played COD4 and it survives because you can buy your own server. I havent seen anyone in MW2.

I was one of the ones who played COD4 and it survives because you can buy your own server. I havent seen anyone in MW2.

I loaded CODMW2 up today and there were 300-350 players online in the entire world, and nobody playing in my region. Indeed, it's basically dead.

From what I've heard from friends, Black Ops 2 has the best implementation of multiplayer since all the bullshit started around dedicated servers with CODMW2, with matchmaking being governed by ping and not region ("by region" never worked in CODMW2 or 3 and was never addressed by IW). I still don't see why we can't have our own dedicated servers and Treyarch keeping its own for official leaderboard purposes.

I loaded CODMW2 up today and there were 300-350 players online in the entire world, and nobody playing in my region. Indeed, it's basically dead.

From what I've heard from friends, Black Ops 2 has the best implementation of multiplayer since all the bullshit started around dedicated servers with CODMW2, with matchmaking being governed by ping and not region ("by region" never worked in CODMW2 or 3 and was never addressed by IW). I still don't see why we can't have our own dedicated servers and Treyarch keeping its own for official leaderboard purposes.

Which just doesn't justify spending 60 bucks only for it to be unplayable a year later leaving you with just the crappy single player. COD4 more than paid for itself. The games after have pretty much robbed pc gamers.

i hate the series myself. COD4 was the last one i've bought for the pc because they never seemed to change anything. the graphics engine was in the last 3 games and its nothing more than a $100mil ad campaigne and then different uniforms and some new weapons. i will say that the coop was a pretty good upgrade, but it still has the same 3 year old feel. i moved on after COD4 to BC2 and fell in love. i played BC2 nonstop with friends because our clan had dedicated servers and we could play without douchebags cheating. then BF3 launched and it blew MW2 out of the water (atleast for me and my friends) with it's new engine, maps and destructive environment. then the cheating got rampant again, even on our own servers and i found myself playing admin more than i was playing the game. dealing with cheat scumbags wore the admin group out and we ultimately scrapped the server lease. too bad but it's something you've gotta deal with i guess. here's to hoping there's a breakthrough in anticheat software design and implementation.

Allegedly-overpowered guns aren't overpowered, according to Treyarch.

http://www.destructoid.com/black-ops-ii-on-balancing-and-player-feedback-238508.phtml

"What we said was we need to balance the emotion of using something, like your personal visceral reaction to it, with math," design director David Vonderhaar told me. "There's a lot of instrumentation in this game, there's a lot of data logging, so I know exactly what the power band of a weapon is at all times. So I can combine how something feels with how it's actually behaving. I know, I know this is going to happen: A million people are going to Tweet me and tell me that the [for example] 'PDW 57 is overpowered, Vonderhaar what are you doing?'

"What I'll do is I can go and look at the math and I'll go 'Actually, you know what dude? You're just good with it. Have fun, because the math says that it's not overpowered.' I have the averages, you're being successful. That means Pick 10 is working, and if it's overpowered I'll know it for real. Like not because someone said it was, or because I felt it was, or because you sent me an angry Tweet because you got killed by the SRM Shotgun one night 17 times so you're mad. The data will tell me the truth."

I think most people moved on to fourdeltaone dedi's for MW2 and MW3

MW2 matchmaking was broken on steam for 2 months.

Allegedly-overpowered guns aren't overpowered, according to Treyarch.

http://www.destructoid.com/black-ops-ii-on-balancing-and-player-feedback-238508.phtml

I'm not surprised. But then balance has never been their strong point. The thing is from an isolated view, they are probably right. SMGs do suffer at range more than assault rifles. The problem is that you don't fight at range in CoD. What qualifies at "long range" in CoD would be medium at best in BF3, and it is still pretty rare. Hence SMGs end up being effectively over powered.

So they may be right in the technical sense, but wrong in the game sense. Whatever I guess it really doesn't matter, since the best overall SMG is the MP7 and you have it form the word go, but still. It is rather hard to claim the MP7 isn't OP when not only is it my best gun, but the best gun of basically everyone I know, and the gun that seems to get used by all the people who get really high kill counts.

I think part of the problem is developers have trouble differentiating between "Balance as I want people to play the game," and "Balance as people actually do play the game." I've seen it in MMOs time and time again where the devs say something is perfectly fine and they are probably right in a sense: With their group of trained testers who will do things a certain way, it all works out. However in the real world it ends up being unbalanced because of the way people actually play.

well said Sycraft, i think your post is pretty insightful. only thing i disagree with is saying that balance has never been Treyarch's strong point. Black Ops 1 was relatively balanced aside from a couple anomalies like the FAMAS. also in my memory WaW was relatively balanced too, but it's been a long while since i've played so memory could be fuzzy. 'relatively' being the emphasized word here, in the landscape of FPS'.

Yeah Black Ops 1 was easily the most balanced Call of Duty game.

I think the issue with Black Ops 2 is the map size as Sycraft stated. If we put the BO2 weapons in CoD4 maps, then they'd probably be as balanced as the developer say they are. But most of them are more or less the size of Vacant, where Steady Aim MP5 was king.

SMGs seem to be the god-guns of all the COD games. Having recently played CODMW3 multiplayer, I am frequently beaten by players using SMGs with Steady Aim, firing from the hip from a distance. This is when I'm using an assault rifle too.

Even without Steady Aim, there is no significant accuracy or bullet spread penalty when firing SMGs from the hip. Steady Aim basically means you never have to aim down the sight at any distance shorter than from one map border to the other.

I finally broke down and bought it. Don't regret it one bit.

Also glad to see that there are dedicated servers in the background. TIL.

I do hope the game stays alive after the next COD implementation, but I know people still play COD4 so that's slightly promising.

Also, SMGs > ARs pretty much all day. I haven't found an AR better than the Cincon(SP?) or Vector 10. Or maybe I suck balls with ARs :p

And does anyone feel like the only shotty worth using is the 870? I tried using the KSG and I thought it'd work better at long range but it still blows at long range and sucks pretty hard close range vs the 870 so I Just elect to use the 870 with fast hands + FN7.

Noobs, whip out the Fal with stock and fmj, you will take down vector and mp7 (looks like the mp7) noobs down easy. But you have to be a fast shooter (clicker?), since it's single round shot's.

Yeah that's good in the larger maps, but in smaller maps there's no reason not to take an SMG. If you both round a corner MP7 always wins.

True but I like challenges more then easy kills. Laser sight + silencer for either vector or the mp7 takes down noobs easy, the vector slightly more effective but it's bs sometimes on killcams you get sprayed from the hip without iron sight zoom from another player across the map and you die.

Btw iuno about you, but I really hate Yemen atm...rage quit.

Fal is OP for anything but right on top of each other. I destroy with it. If you use the target finder, you can literally look out a window and pick off like 3 or 4 guys before people know what happened.

I use the primary gunfighterr for three attachments. I use the foregrip, target finder, and the quick draw handle for fast zooming. I will have to try the FMJs for the extra damage. Shoudl be like two shot kills which would just be insane.

so, I just tried the mp7 for the first time (im lv 26) and wow, it is stupid easy to win with that thing. Ive been using mainly the swat-556 which is a way different play than the mp7. First round I used the mp7, no attachments unlocked yet I got 27:12 lol.

Fal is OP for anything but right on top of each other. I destroy with it. If you use the target finder, you can literally look out a window and pick off like 3 or 4 guys before people know what happened.

I use the primary gunfighterr for three attachments. I use the foregrip, target finder, and the quick draw handle for fast zooming. I will have to try the FMJs for the extra damage. Shoudl be like two shot kills which would just be insane.

Fmj with the fal would be 2-3 rounds (thank god their is no juggernaut in this game, or maybe I might've missed out on it?). I will give target finder a go but I really hate it's big zoom-in interface and you can't exactly spray the fal at close distance against someone who is using the mp7.

Might try the foregrip with it as well, but so far with the fal class I'm using, I avg 2.1+ kdr each round except Yemen and the other open desert map with a broken down plane in the middle of the map.

so, I just tried the mp7 for the first time (im lv 26) and wow, it is stupid easy to win with that thing. Ive been using mainly the swat-556 which is a way different play than the mp7. First round I used the mp7, no attachments unlocked yet I got 27:12 lol.

Yeh the MP7 is ridiculous likewise in MW3, try the laser sight attachment and you won't need to iron sight zoom ever again, just hip fire and get kills really fast, but when it comes to bigger map's the MP7 shows it's own weaknesses.

the very first round i played (literally. on launch day, first time starting it up) i used the MP7 and went 13:5. i had no idea which hallways lead to where, where the blind corners were etc. i'm typically a 1.5:1 KDR player. i've used the MP7 next to none since then. it just feels cheap.

Can anyone confirm that you can get Nuketown 2025 with the Season Pass?

I remember buying the ps3 version (# 1), and remembering why i generally don't play FPS anymore the returned it unopened the next day.

SO no.

Back