Is an MSI 3 year warranty transferable?

Dodger1

Limp Gawd
I've searched high and low trying to find the answer to that question; so if anyone knows the answer I'd really appreciate a link to an authoritative source.

FYI, I did send an inquiry to MSI but lord only knows how long it will take them to reply, if they do.

Yes, because they go by the serial number. Works the same way with Asus and Gigabyte...

Edit: Link - common knowledge

Edit: Link - common knowledge

Maybe to you but I spent ~ a half an hour searching and never came up with a definitive answer. BTW, if you have a link that explains that, I'd really appreciate it. That way I can furnish it to my prospective purchaser and simply not tell him that it's transferable.

I don't see anything about xfer of warranty.

All I know is that although the wording makes it sound like I can take my GPUs HSF off, there is a sticker on one of the screws that says, "Warranty Void if Removed."

They are for the original purchaser - but there is one thing with that like many other companies, they don't ask that 99% of the time. So technically no, but in practice yes it can be. Most all HW companies are this way - warranty for the original purchaser, this is one of the reasons XFX started marketing with transferable warranties. No doubt they sold a lot on that basis alone. Hopefully this helps

I've RMA'd with second hand MSI cards a number of times, no issues. Just typed in the info, sent it off and I had a new card in my hands in a few days. The sticker thing is new, my 760 Gaming has it and I've never seen it on any of the other MSI cards I've had.

Yeah, that sticker thing is balls.

And the information on their site is unclear. They say it must be returned in factory condition, which to me, implies you can remove the cooler.

I've RMA'd msi cards that had a "warranty" sticker on the screws after I've removed the stock heatsink. I made sure to remove the sticker on the screw completely and leave no trace of it. They never gave me any trouble, but I wouldn't rely on that as gospel.

So far my temps have yet to exceed 67C @ 1900RPM fan, so I have little reason to remove the cooler.

I am waiting on a MSI RMA which should arrive Tuesday. I am not sure if they replace it or fixed the old one. I got a GTX 660 from Amazon Warehouse and when I got it it wouldnt open any 3d apps. Amazon would only refund and not replace so I sent it to MSI.

I've RMA'd msi cards that had a "warranty" sticker on the screws after I've removed the stock heatsink. I made sure to remove the sticker on the screw completely and leave no trace of it. They never gave me any trouble, but I wouldn't rely on that as gospel.

ditto.

Never had a problem with MSI rma and removing the sticker. I have done it a couple of times.

Then why even have it? Pretty ridiculous to pay $700 for a GPU and not be able to remove the cooler in 2014. I'm gonna give em a call on Mon and see what they say.

I called MSI about the sticker back when I had my 780 lightnings, and they assured me that removing the sticker would void my warranty. Needless to say, I now have 780 hofs instead lol. Can't live without outting my cards under water.

Thanks. I figured that would be the case. Pretty craptacular. Although, I will keep my card as the TF4 cooler runs circles around the DC2 and especially the ACX.

I got my GTX 660 back today. They replaced it. Works awesome now!
I got it from Amazon Warehouse for $163 and it came complete with all the accessories. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094CX8QI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$50 less then a new one. When it arrived it wouldn't pass the WEI and would freeze. Any 3d game it would give me an error. I googled the error and came to the conclusion only RMA would fix it so I filled out the info with the serial # and sent it in. They sent me a new one and all is good now.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got my GTX 660 back today. They replaced it. Works awesome now!
I got it from Amazon Warehouse for $163 and it came complete with all the accessories. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094CX8QI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$50 less then a new one. When it arrived it wouldn't pass the WEI and would freeze. Any 3d game it would give me an error. I googled the error and came to the conclusion only RMA would fix it so I filled out the info with the serial # and sent it in. They sent me a new one and all is good now.

Congrats man, pretty awesome deal there! MSI has been pretty good for me the last couple of RMAs and luckily I've only needed them a "couple" of times in about the last 9 years. :p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you need to remove heatsink without destroying the sticker you can use a hair blower with heat to soften the adhesive and the sticker should lift off without too much resistance. Also, don't apply too much heat; sometimes they use thermal paper that turns black when heated.

The only real time you will encounter issues likely with MSI regarding a RMA is when there is physical damage to the part. They are cool with user upgrades, customization, and whatnot so long as it doesn't physically damage the part. That is why I like to use them for my GPUs so that I can replace the TIM and possibly watercool with no fear of a RMA issue :)

I generally watercool all my GPUs.

From time to time you will see those little stickers covering the screws on the back of the GPU. You obviously have to put a screwdriver there to remove the stock sink.
I do it all the time.

I've heard from Galaxy, XFX and Zotac on this; whether or not defacing those stickers voids the warranty.

Their response was that those stickers are placed on all cards as they come off manufacture, obviously they are shipped world-wide.
In the US they have no meaning, in otherwords you can plow right through them and not worry about the warranty. In other countries, you can't.

Obviously, if you have to RMA the card, you need to return it to factory specifications.

as it was said, technically the answer is no and go ahead and try to reach them by phone and they don't usually reply to emails (I've tried phone and emails a number of times just to see what was what with their Customer Service or lack there of)

Buy EVGA. You can reach a tech for free via phone 24/7 ... no one else comes close. Why guess and wonder if you'll luck out and get a nice tech at MSI or ASUS or whomever when you can have a transferable warranty (based on date of manufacture) by a company that actually backs the warranty and can be EASILY reached by phone? Unless of coarse one likes to stay stressed out wondering if they will send a replacement card ...

Back