Is an extended service plan worth it for LCD's?

Kelvarr

Supreme [H]ardness
If buying locally, is it worth buying the ESP? Or is the default return period sufficient for any potential problems that LCD's typically exhibit?

I know the cost of the ESP will determine it somewhat, but places like Best Buy, where the plan is $40 for a <$300 monitor it doesn't seem too bad.

Or is getting a warranty through Mack or somewhere a better bet?

Those types of things are mostly money grabs and while they promise you all this great service... its not all that great and you end up waiting weeks to months for anything to happen.

Typically manufacturer warranty is long enough. By the end of the manufacturer warranty chances are you will want a new bigger screen anyway.

My Dell 2407FTW (24 uncher ) had a power button issue almost three years of use and Dell gave me another but it was a refurb, no issues and a happy camper. One other Dell LCD owner had same issue with his 2407 after the normal 3 year warranty ended and he got another LCD because he opted for a 4 year warranty which really did not cost all that much. Peace of mind I guess.

Up to you if you want to extend the warranty. Just make sure what LCD you get and it has at least a three year warranty. As Bun-Bun mentioned, you will probably get another LCD and step up to something bigger before the warranty on the one you are thinking of expires. Not always. Some try to keep their stuff much longer

Do you pay with a credit card? Many credit cards offer an additional year of warranty.

Also, I've heard horror stories of people at BB trying to get them to honour their warranties, but have also heard good stories.

Personally, I would avoid buying extended warranties on anything because it's not worth the hassle of trying to get them to honour it (retailer extended warranty) and most of the time the manufacturer warranty is good enough.

I think over time you'll be ahead if you don't worry about the extra warranty. The possibility of equipment failure that would have been covered by the extended warranty is more than offset by putting that money into better hardware in the first place, or more frequent upgrades IMO.

FWIW, I've never had any electronics fail within their useful lifetime except for stuff with moving parts like hard drives and fans. Forums probably make failure rates seem a lot higher than they really are, because not many people post just to say "nothing to see here, move along" -- but everyone with something to gripe about will do so.

Buy LG, they come with a 3 year warranty with free shipping to and from LG.
I just had one of my LG 194WT die on me and they sent me a pre-paid shipping label, shipped the monitor back, and they shipped me a newer model, W1952TQ.

I just ordered a Dell 3008WFP that includes a 3 year warranty. That's important to me for something expensive like an LCD. I usually don't buy extended warranties, though.

Just to add to my post...

Extended warranties from retialers (such as best buy) are money grabs and getting said retailers to follow through is a pain.

Extended warranties from manufactures though is a great thing. The trend for manufacturering now is to handle QC inhouse which is nice to see. This can be seen by the numerous products that say on the box "If you have any problems with this product please contact <insert company name here>. DO NOT take it back to the retailer." I have seen this on EVGA products and a few others. It is very nice to see.

Back to the point. I would gladly buy the extended warranty on panasonics TV's (esspeically since you can renew it at the end thus never ending your warranty) or from any other reputable manufacturer of said product. However I would never buy an extended warranty from Futureshop, Staples, Best Buy, Circuit City, ect.

Back