Is AMD's marketing team doing them justice?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
upload_2018-5-18_9-31-5.png

Why would they pick the same numbering scheme that Intel uses - but much lower numbers

Intel 7700 vs. Ryzen 1700
Intel 8700 vs. Ryzen 2700

Intel advertises 8th Gen -- Ryzen 7 indicates 7th gen.

Doesn't affect the enthusiast, but it might affect the person just looking at the microcenter ad.

-------------
Not too far off the mark with their GPU branding.

Nvidia 670 vs AMD 285
Nvidia 970 vs AMD 480
Nvidia 1060 vs AMD 580

They took a step in the right direction with AMD Fury and Vega - getting away from the inferior number scheme -- they should keep that in mind with naming schemes going forward.

Last edited:
I would say if you are buying a CPU from Microcenter to build a computer, you are an enthusiast, and wouldn't be confused by this. It might be more of a consideration on a pre-built computer for sale.

It may have some effect on the prebuilt market, but anyone buying just a CPU is more than likely going to do research.

I agree with all the comments here. But there are many people who can build now, that don't necessarily research. 20 years ago, only a fraction of us could build properly. We did not have YouTube and online guides and videos. So many people have those tools now, and they don't always spend weeks researching like we may.

Do you remember when AMD used "equivelant" names with the athlon series? Aka 2500+ which wasn't actually rated at 2500 MHz? According to AMD it was equivelant to a Intel chip of that speed.

Some would argue that helped un informed buyers. But I remember popping in my Barton core 2500+ and seeing it wasn't actually 2500mhz. But that's ok, it over clocked to about 2500.

Last edited:
It was worse in the Athlon days, where they had the "Performance Rating" to try to hide the chip frequency.

In the end I don't think that AMD marketing team can do something to battle these things. Maybe it should be more about educating the consumers rather then spiffy marketing campaigns involving bigger numbers and so on.

Back