Is a v2.0 ATX PSU "needed" or "desired" for my current setup...

Urraca

Gawd
What is the purpose of the second 12v rail? Is it just to give you more amperage and not to overload the single rail? My Antec true430 is about to blow, the Voltages are way down, and I have my vCore at 1.625 just to keep it stable at default clock speeds. (vCore may be at 1.625, but MBM5 says it's at 1.56 heh.....) . I recently upgraded my case and added another 512mb of ram. New case has 1 LED strip, 2 120mm fans (very low rpm), 1 92mm side fan. And that is when I noticed my PSU was dying.

Should I go Antec again? I hardly stressed this one and it died on me in 2 years. Also to save a few bucks, what do you think about crappy thermaltake? (I'm a college student with no job).

it was adopted from the EPS12V spec to isolate fluctuations that drives (especially an optical spinning up but also say an array performing a simultaneous seek) can impart to the rail stability
in a supply of just basic spec compliance it can be an issue
(see CPUs switched from being powered off the +5V rail to the +12v rail and more and more stuff is being powered off it as well, AGP cards have started to employ it and PCI-E is pure +12V)
in a supply like say the PCP&C it makes no difference at all, few people ever see those rails fluctuate
(that might change with say dual PCI-E 150W cards though but thats the future)
so supplies that exceed spec in load regulation its not that big a deal

a single rail is more flexible all the capacity is available
whereas generally thats not the case for a dual rail rhough there is some confusion about exactly how crossload capacity is handled

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027516542&postcount=11

so you want a supply for the rig in your sig?
anything left out? a fan here or there?

Nope, nothing left out. The fans are 2 120mm Thermaltake silent fans (intake/rear exhaust) and a side 92mm fan. (as stated above). I have the fans running on the "fan only" molex connecter on my current PSU that is about to blow.

I am considering buying antec again, except this time the 430watt truepower 2.0, or maybe i'll go for the 480. Unless I should shy away from the 2.0 or someone recommend me another brand besides Antec and around the same price (sub $100 bucks).

Back