• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is a sound card needed using digital out?

munkle

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
11,799
I was under the assumption that using the digital out (rca/fiber optic) bypasses any sound processing (is this true?). So is a sound card even needed when using the digital out?
 
This is how I understand it. The receiver produces the end result when it receives the digital signal. So, onboard sound is the exact same as a sound card when we are talking about digital.
 
This is how I understand it. The receiver produces the end result when it receives the digital signal. So, onboard sound is the exact same as a sound card when we are talking about digital.

Yeah that's what I thought but with the realtek application I can apply sound effects to the digital output which would mean that it is processing the sound. This why I'm a little confused. I'm using a Yamaha receiver to hook my speakers up to.
 
Generic soundcards do two things these days:

1. provide a digital output and/or DAC to produce sound
2. provide a digital input and/or ADC to capture sound

That's it. Most processing is done via your main CPU, unless you have a special card with more features.

If all you are using is digital output, the sound card is not necessary - the sound can be decoded and processed by your CPU. What is necessary is the standardized physical interface (SPIDIF or HDMI) to output your digital data.

I see no reason why receivers couldn't come with USB connections that identify as a standard USB audio device. Then you could use a ubiquitous interface like USB, and pass on the whole on-board audio thing. You could also output multi-channel sound without real-time encoding it into DDLive.
 
Back
Top