Is a quality router needed for 3 ppl gaming on it?

tvdang7

Supreme [H]ardness
i have a fairly new Dlink router (im usually a linksys person) . Maybe 50% of the time when ever me and my friends game on it the connections starts to lag and drop us all or individually. Its very annoying we have pretty good comcast cable so im pretty sure its not the internet. When ever i play by my self its fine. Should i go back to linksys?

If it's a Comcast connection..your speed should be at least 6 megs..most likely 8 minimum. Which is many times more than adequate for 3x people to play an online game. Even a "heavy" online game like some of the Battlefield series...with a VoIP add-on like TeamSpeak running at the same time!

I've gamed with 3x people playing Battlefield 2, all with TeamSpeak, playing on the same public BF2 player, from my home, on Comcast. Waaaay more than enough bandwidth.

Are you using wireless?
Is the firmware on the router the latest version? (although..careful..they've had some wonky releases for some models)
Is it a model that supports QoS..and if so, is it enabled?

well its 6 but when ever i do speed test they range around 15-20. this is at my apt, At my house when ever 3 people are gaming its just fine using 3mb dsl on the crappy 2wire router.

EDIT yes all of us on wireless laptops. and the game we only play is wc3 dota so it shouldnt be that intensive.

Yeah the 15 megs you see is the "burst" of Comcasts Powerboost features..which applies really only for downloads, roughly the first 10 megs of a big download come down at 15+ meg speeds...after roughly 10 megs has been downloaded, the rest of the file will come down at your normal rated speed..6 megs in your case. Doesn't apply to gaming at all.

When you were playing on the 2Wire..were you using its wireless with 3 people also?

wait...you have a house AND an apartment?
:D :p

I would run Netstumbler (SSIDer now?) and see what other wireless networks are around and what channels.
It's very possible it's wireless interference.

Yeah the 15 megs you see is the "burst" of Comcasts Powerboost features..which applies really only for downloads, roughly the first 10 megs of a big download come down at 15+ meg speeds...after roughly 10 megs has been downloaded, the rest of the file will come down at your normal rated speed..6 megs in your case. Doesn't apply to gaming at all.

When you were playing on the 2Wire..were you using its wireless with 3 people also?

yea all wireless.

and i have an apartment and my "house" is my parents house of course.:p who would have a house and apt lol?unless the apt is to cheat in haha.

tried to use netstumbler and my device isnt supported.

ywho would have a house and apt lol?.

Me! Well, not an apartment..but another house..I'm renting a farmhouse in a beachside community. Still own a house in back my home-town.....to cover its cost it's rented out. Also it's on the market to sell, soon as I sell it I'll purchase in the neighborhood I'm renting a house in now.

Definitely not the speed of your connection. Gaming hardly uses any bandwidth compared to other things. Are you wired or wireless? It's probably because you have a crappy router (no offense). I had the same problems with various low level D-Links and Linksys WRT's trying to play D2 with 3 ppl over wireless. Stepping it up to D-Link DGL-4300 solved the problem.

Definitely not the speed of your connection. Gaming hardly uses any bandwidth compared to other things. Are you wired or wireless? It's probably because you have a crappy router (no offense). I had the same problems with various low level D-Links and Linksys WRT's trying to play D2 with 3 ppl over wireless. Stepping it up to D-Link DGL-4300 solved the problem.

the router im using now is dir-600 not sure if its a premium router but it looks a POS lol. yes all wireless.

no but wireless works like a hub and you loose half tha bandwith to begin with anyways, so try wiring yourself in and see if that works

High probability that one of three people is either voluntarily downloading something or has some sort of update service running hogging bandwidth.

Happens to my lan parties....

High probability that one of three people is either voluntarily downloading something or has some sort of update service running hogging bandwidth.

Happens to my lan parties....

no we all yell at each other to see if anyone has anything no one does. so it has to be the router not being able to handle 3 wireless gaming connections at once.

it could be still wireless interference.
apt = more people, more AP's, higher probability that there's other wireless networks on the same channel.

Back