is a punch down tool really necessary?

kbr420

n00b
Hi guys,

Sort of a nooB question but here goes:

I'm putting together a small network at home and ordered all the cables/wallplates and connections. I've read the instructions on how to connect the cat6 cable to the rj45 female port (going into the wall). My main question is do I really need a punch down tool to connect the cable to the port?
link: http://www.smarthome.com/865150.html
thanks!

For most of the newer CAT connectors for patch panels and wall data plates, no. I use Panduit equipment. Their CAT connectors "crimp" shut with a special tool they provide, a little black level/squeeze device the clamps the unit down and snaps the halves into place all on one step.

YeOldeStonecat said:
For most of the newer CAT connectors for patch panels and wall data plates, no. I use Panduit equipment. Their CAT connectors "crimp" shut with a special tool they provide, a little black level/squeeze device the clamps the unit down and snaps the halves into place all on one step.

On a recent Networking Job the Telephone guy was using this stuff and i really loved it, i was using old school punch down and he let me try a few of his.. .damn they rock... When your wiring a huge office with 2 24 port patch pannels to cable it makes things a little easier

YeOldeStonecat said:

I have to agree - these do rock.

QFT...

Panduit > Everything else.

Not always the cheapest solution, but a helluva lot easier and faster. insert the conductors in their appropriate slots, pull them all tight, trim the ends and crimp.

No routing and punching needed.

im personaly an ortronics person on this topic..... most jacks dont require a true punchdown tool.... the plastic sleeves will usually do the job just fine.... if you are going to do a patch panel a punch down tool is a must... and if you want the most out of that cat6 why not spend a few bucks and buy one.... you dont need to get the best one out there for a small home project... also a punchdown tool will make your jacks and patch panel look perfect because they cut the copper perfectly at the end of te block

or you can do like me and practicaly ruin a 66block using a screwdriver to punch down when i forgot mine in another bag once.

flynlr said:
or you can do like me and practicaly ruin a 66block using a screwdriver to punch down when i forgot mine in another bag once.

just dont punch down cat 6 to a 66 block... though it would be kind funny... and kinda sad at the same time.... but general rule for life... use the right tool for the right job... and the only way the terminate a 66 block is a punchdown tool...

Footer4321 said:
just dont punch down cat 6 to a 66 block... though it would be kind funny... and kinda sad at the same time.... but general rule for life... use the right tool for the right job... and the only way the terminate a 66 block is a punchdown tool...
it was telco but you get the point.

flynlr said:
it was telco but you get the point.

not saying i have never done it.... i clugged in old stranded line into a 66 block in a pinch and it worked on a partner system

wow, lotsa replies. thanks guys for all the information. Seems like i won't cheap out and use a screwdriver. i will look into the panduit that stonecat suggested.
i really appreciate all your guys help.
thanks~

Back