Is a GTX780 overkill for 1080p Gaming?

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Morning all,

I recently bought an MSI GTX770 and have the chance to return it and upgrade to a 780 as a little Christmas present to myself (i think i've earned it :D).

Question is, is it overkill for 1080p gaming? I will only be running games at this resolution for the foreseeable future...or until 4k screen's come down in price and i change the tv i use for gaming.

Should i go for it or is it a stupid waste of money?

Reason's ive come up with for upgrading are...I'm liking the fact that it has 3GB of ram which may help with future game releases, and more power is always a good thing, right?!?

So what say ye? Yay or nay (with reasons if possible)

Cheers!

Go for it. There's overkill and not enough depending upon your fps requirements.
Some people want 60fps avg, some want 60fps min, and others want 120fps. Nothing is overkill for modern gaming, but if you only play Source and Quake games then yes.

I would spring for it mostly because its based on gk110. The 770 was based on gk104. Titan is also based on 110

Cheers for all the replies!

I'm using a 1080p 50" Panny Plasma tv and i'm a 60fps solid with highest settings i can muster kinda guy. :)

Games i'm currently playing are DayZ, BF3/4, Ass Creed 4, Batman Origin's, Dark Souls...and XCOM...which runs on most laptops :D

A GTX 780 will not give you 60 fps in Ass Creed 4 unless you turn down a couple of settings including God Rays and Soft Shadows.

A GTX 780 will not give you 60 fps in Ass Creed 4 unless you turn down a couple of settings including God Rays and Soft Shadows.

Fair enough, ive no problem turning settings off to achieve a nice stable fps.

And i cant go any higher than a 780, a 780Ti or TITAN is just out of my price range...

Fair enough, ive no problem turning settings off to achieve a nice stable fps.

And i cant go any higher than a 780, a 780Ti or TITAN is just out of my price range...

A good OC will get you near 780 Ti levels anyways, and definitely faster than a GTX Titan.

As others have said, no its not. I have an overclocked GTX670 FTW that's probably really close to a GTX770 and while I can play everything so far at max settings, there are a couple games I'll turn down the settings a little to get out of the 30's. I'd go so far as to say a GTX780 Ti wouldn't even be overkill at 1080. I want to be able to play every game at full settings and get as close to 60 fps as possible and with new games, that's requiring more and more horsepower.

Thanks everyone.

Ok now that we've established im not crazy for wanting a 780 i have 2 questions:-

1 - Which would you recommend? I'm looking at the EVGA 780 Superclocked ACX and the EVGA 780 FTW which appears to have higher clocks. The MSI 780 Twin Frozr seems to have very low clocks, only mention it because my last 2 cards have been MSI's

2 - What in your opinions would be a 780Ti/TITAN beating overclock for a 780?

Cheers!

Thanks everyone.

Ok now that we've established im not crazy for wanting a 780 i have 2 questions:-

1 - Which would you recommend? I'm looking at the EVGA 780 Superclocked ACX and the EVGA 780 FTW which appears to have higher clocks. The MSI 780 Twin Frozr seems to have very low clocks, only mention it because my last 2 cards have been MSI's

2 - What in your opinions would be a 780Ti/TITAN beating overclock for a 780?

Cheers!

I think the ACX is faster than a Titan, so if it's cheaper than the FTW, I'll go with that one and OC from there.

I prefer EVGA myself so either of those would be my choice. The Twin Frozr may be the best cooler you can get though so that's not a bad choice either. The clocks may be lower but you can always overclock.

Allow me to be the one pooper of the party, yes it's overkill.

With the performance you are already getting, it's highly doubtful it will make a large enough difference to matter, and at the point you need the performance a 780 or equivalent will be much cheaper.

I think the ACX is faster than a Titan, so if it's cheaper than the FTW, I'll go with that one and OC from there.

They all come with ACX coolers. Looking on EVGA's website it goes like this:-

Superclocked ACX 967mhz
FTW ACX 980mhz
Classified ACX 993mhz

The MSI is quoted as 954mhz in OC mode on their website. Not as low as i thought.

Classified might just be out of my price range...unless i dont eat for a week...

With the performance you are already getting, it's highly doubtful it will make a large enough difference to matter, and at the point you need the performance a 780 or equivalent will be much cheaper.

Heh, cheers. You're probably right but i've already got the hankering for something new and shiny. You only live once eh! :rolleyes:

Ya, I didn't really want to talk you out of anything, sometimes just the buying of something new makes it worth it.

R9 290X? I got one... mind blowing performer.

But nah 780 is not overkill at all.

I'd much rather have a single card, less noise, lower power consumption and less heat in general plus less stuff to go wrong. Don't like the sound of all this micro-stuttering stuff either though i've never tried SLI so don't really know much about it.

I had a pair of the 780 ACX SC cards, very nice and quiet, both overclocked easily to 1241 on stock voltage. I don't think you could go wrong with one.

Another question aimed at the EVGA 780 ACX users. Are there UEFI GOP bios's available for these cards. I want to be able to use the Ultra fast boot option on my mobo with my SSD which i can do with my current MSI 770 (after i performed a bios update mind).

Cheers.

Another question aimed at the EVGA 780 ACX users. Are there UEFI GOP bios's available for these cards. I want to be able to use the Ultra fast boot option on my mobo with my SSD which i can do with my current MSI 770 (after i performed a bios update mind).

Cheers.

I think so, you could probably email EVGA and get an answer pretty fast or check their forums. I don't use the ultra fast boot on my machine so I don't know.

if you don't have a 120/144hz monitor, yes it's overkill. you should be getting 60+ in most games on near max if not max settings already with your 770, and imo the difference between the 770 and 780 you get for $200 is not even remotely worth it.

if you want to get 15% more frames that your monitor can't even display for 60% more cash, be my guest.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as overkill. Antialiasing (and supersampling) can make everything crawl.

On the otherhand, depending on the deal, a new 780 is just a hair more expensive (if not cheaper) than some of the more expensive non-ref 770s.

I dont think a 780 is overkill for 1080p. Maybe a 780Ti is but not a 780. Problem is price if you ask me.nVidia pricing just sucks for these higher end cards IMHO. Its really gotten out of hand.

If you're going to get a 780, do yourself a favor and get either a EVGA Classified, MSI Lighting, or Galaxy HOF card. They all are designed to be OCd to hell and back. A lot of people reach 1300mhz core clocks with those cards without too much effort. At that point, you're talking about a card running about 20% faster than a stock Titan. They are worth the premium IMO...which may only be about $20-30 depending on that day's prices.

Even a 780 Ti wouldn't be enough for my BenQ XL2420TE, I doubt it could reach 144fps minimum.

I guess Mantle will have the say so as to what is still left to offer at 1080p in gains and what is overkill or not.. no way I could be a Nvidia buyer with Mantle coming to BF 4..

Not to jack this thread,but I just sold my 7950 cf and I am going Green. I am getting a 780 but not sure which one. I was thinking the 2x 8pin connectors for better overclock, and getting the gigabyte/OC 3 fan rev2.0. Is that a decent card? (this over the 780 lightning becasue it is a 40 dollar difference)
Thanks guys. I have been with AMD so long I don't know what's going on in the Nvidia side of things.

I have two 780 SLI'd for one 1080p 144 Hz monitor. Still doesn't maintain 118 fps. in some games. I can get Crysis 3 going at a solid 118 fps with mods. Not maxed out at all.

its NOT overkill at all if he wants to crank the settings in demanding games. in fact even with a 780 he will not be able to max demanding games and stay above 60. and in a few rare cases he will actually find that his cpu will not let him stay above 60 fps.

For 1080p at 60Hz I'd say it's a waste of money.
absolutely not. I have a 770 and no way can I maintain 60 fps in Metro LL, Crysis 3, and Far Cry 3 without turning settings down.

its NOT overkill at all if he wants to crank the settings in demanding games. in fact even with a 780 he will not be able to max demanding games and stay above 60. and in a few rare cases he will actually find that his cpu will not let him stay above 60 fps.

absolutely not. I have a 770 and no way can I maintain 60 fps in Metro LL, Crysis 3, and Far Cry 3 without turning settings down.

This. There are always a few games that take advantage of current technology, and 1080p just can't be run at a solid 60 fps with just one card. It really depends what games you play.

single card performance is awesome, i run 1080p 144hz and the smoothness is awesome, in games like bf4 keeping fps as close to 144 with one card is awesome. this is the best card I have ever owned and I paid launch price on launch day. did I mention awesome ?

I just bought a MSI N780 for 180P and absolutely don't think it's over kill. My games run and look sooo much better than my 460 GTX in SLI. Plus I can buy a second for SLI in the future if need be.

Back