Is a blower better than a fan??

Deadguy

Limp Gawd
If blowers are better than a fan airflow wise i am wondering if i can get one in 120mm flavor.

does anyone know of any stores that sell blowers?

Blowers are good for the fact that they don't create a dead spot but they don't push out the same amount of air as a regular fan. You can eliminate the dead spot caused by fans w/ a simple duct mod ..... but thats kewl... as far as were to get a 120 flavor.... hell i've only seen 80's

Deadguy said:
so they push less cfm than fans?

ok then thanks for the info :)

it depends upon the blower fan. Axial fans have a dead spot in the middle, which is bad for heatsinks, but they work just fine for other applications. The coolermaster blower fan is incredibly weak, but it all just depends upon the one you get.

Blower (or squirrel-cage) type fans are generally quieter too, or at least they have a more tolerable sound.

Indeed, I ducted a 3" diameter x 3" Length squirrel cage blower w\ AC motor that was outside of my case to a bare stock CoolerMaster heatsink circa 2001
fed it AC air and got into the high 20s on a 1800+ Athlon (shortly after I joined)

the sound signiture is considerably different
a whoosh in many cases compared to a typical whine
to say that a blower produce less CFM is incorrect
they vary just like axials, and they also come in a wide variety of configurations
when they are long the are often called crossflow fans, and have the advantage of removing a long slice of air from a case, or push a relatively laminar airflow pattern over a wide surface (as seen in some HDD coolers)

Back