Is a 10850K Fast enough for RTX 4090?

edo101

Limp Gawd
Hi all I wanted to see if my 10850K would bottleneck an RTX 4090. My CPU is at 5Ghz 24/7. Would like to get more performance out of my 4K 3D video games and VR

1695251920721.png

yes but it will still be massive improvement over a 1080ti

There is no straight up yes or no answer here. It highly depends on what game and resolution/settings you are playing at. Not really sure what is 4K 3D VR is to be honest, is that some kind of VR mod for Witcher 3?

Yes it will be a bottleneck.
But as the others have said, everything pretty much is, and it all depends on the games you play.
@ 2160P ultra graphics, your minimum frames are whats really going to be impacted.

I hate videos like this, but it gives you an idea of the difference a 12th or 13th gen would get you with a 4090.
The 10900k is neck-n-neck with your CPU.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySrnQ8ei7hg

It will be a pretty big bottleneck in games that really like just a few really fast cores. For example in some huge areas of Crysis remastered it is nearly twice as fast on my 13700k compared to my 9900k. And The Witcher 3 maxed with ray tracing is night and day difference in smoothness on my 13700k.

If your question really is, "will this be a major improvement at VR rez (4K+) ", then the answer is YES!

Yes it will be a bottleneck.
But as the others have said, everything pretty much is, and it all depends on the games you play.
@ 2160P ultra graphics, your minimum frames are whats really going to be impacted.

I hate videos like this, but it gives you an idea of the difference a 12th or 13th gen would get you with a 4090.
The 10900k is neck-n-neck with your CPU.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySrnQ8ei7hg

It will be a pretty big bottleneck in games that really like just a few really fast cores. For example in some huge areas of Crysis remastered it is nearly twice as fast on my 13700k compared to my 9900k. And The Witcher 3 maxed with ray tracing is night and day difference in smoothness on my 13700k.
If your question really is, "will this be a major improvement at VR rez (4K+) ", then the answer is YES!
Man I just built my PC Jan 2021, I really don't want to go buy a whole new system just 2 years later. My i7-930 lasted me for 11 years. WTF happened to the PC world?

There is no straight up yes or no answer here. It highly depends on what game and resolution/settings you are playing at. Not really sure what is 4K 3D VR is to be honest, is that some kind of VR mod for Witcher 3?
It is a geo-11 VR mod. Essentially there's a mod that allows you to play the game in 3D with SBS or TAB or INterlaced and so on. What I want to do is project the game onto my quest 2 using Virtual Desktop in 3D mode. I run the game at 4K and the 2080 Ti is struggling to hit 45 fps consistently. ANd it's in DX11 mode

AMD finally delivered competition :)
Yes okay but how is the jump this high? as in when did video games start requring so much the latest and greatest that something that was top of the line 2021 takes a big hit on performance when back then even something like my i7-930 could last a decade and do just fine even at 1440 to 4k. Now it's like every new game requires moar faster cores. My wallet can't handle this

Man I just built my PC Jan 2021, I really don't want to go buy a whole new system just 2 years later. My i7-930 lasted me for 11 years. WTF happened to the PC world?
Well you are wanting to push the fastest GPU out there plus Nvidia has a lot of CPU overhead that needs to be considered. A whole lot has changed in the last 18 months and many games have become very CPU limited. I mean it wasn't long ago that a 3600x would tear through games most of the time providing even a good high refresh rate. Now there are several games where it can't even maintain 60 FPS anymore. And the new cyberpunk 2077 update also ramped up the required CPUs if you want to run Ray tracing maxed so older CPUs will be quite stuttery now. Upgrade your CPU, motherboard and ram and sell off your other stuff and that will cover a lot of the cost. Maybe get the new 14700k that would be coming out soon and 32 gigs of ram and you'll be set for quite sometime. I didn't really want to upgrade from my 9900k but seeing how much performance was being left on the table it was just silly not to go ahead and do so.

Yes okay but how is the jump this high? as in when did video games start requring so much the latest and greatest that something that was top of the line 2021 takes a big hit on performance when back then even something like my i7-930 could last a decade and do just fine even at 1440 to 4k. Now it's like every new game requires moar faster cores. My wallet can't handle this

I'm not sure what you mean. A 10850k is more than capable of lasting just as long as if you pair it with certain GPUs. You say an i7-930 can last a decade but in reality your i7-930 would've easily started bottlenecking GPUs starting with the 980 Ti that came out in 2015 meaning it definitely doesn't last a decade if you want a bottleneck free experience on the latest and greatest GPU. But pair it with anything lesser than that and it you would extract every performance out of it. The same goes here, if you don't pair a 10850k with a 4090 then you aren't getting any bottlenecks. This has been the case for the last few years now when trying to push the latest top dog GPU that you should also pair it with the best CPU.

Sorry, but I think it's nonsense to buy $1,600 GPU run it gimped for a few years, then upgrade to a CPU that finally gives you the full potential when at that time there will be much much faster cards for cheaper. You will have effectively gotten the performance of a cheaper card during that whole time.

If you're going to spend $1,600 on a GPU then again just sell your current CPU, motherboard and ram and upgrade those three things which will probably only cost you about 300 to 400 bucks after you sell your old stuff. Plus, those upgrades would include doubling your system ram and improving your overall performance in general.

You're getting a 4090 to crank all the settings such as path tracing in cyberpunk 2077 yet right there in the requirements for path tracing it says 12900 for the CPU. You buy a 4090 to get the best gaming experience and you will not get that in every game until you upgrade your CPU. And waiting two or three years to experience what a 4090 is fully capable of is just silly.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I think it's nonsense to buy $1,600 GPU run it gimped for a few years, then upgrade to a CPU that finally gives you the full potential when at that time there will be much much faster cards for cheaper. You will have effectively gotten the performance of a cheaper card during that whole time.

If you're going to spend $1,600 on a GPU then again just sell your current CPU, motherboard and ram and upgrade those three things which will probably only cost you about 300 to 400 bucks after you sell your old stuff. Plus, those upgrades would include doubling your system ram and improving your overall performance in general.

You're getting a 4090 to crank all the settings such as path tracing in cyberpunk 2077 yet right there in the requirements for path tracing it says 12900 for the CPU. You buy a 4090 to get the best gaming experience and you will not get that in every game until you upgrade your CPU. And waiting two or three years to experience what a 4090 is fully capable of is just silly.
faster cards for cheaper? have you been paying attention to the cost of GPUs since the release of the RTX 10xx series? Every gen released after it the MSRP doubles lol.

IMO, to the OP, your system is fine, just get whatever GPU you wanna run and when intel releases their new socket look at upgrading then. Will it be a bottle neck? sure, but not like the bottle neck my 3090 was on my 6700k. I bought it used back in Dec to upgrade my 1080, it limped my 6700k along for another 9 months and then I built my 7800x3d system and transplanted into that.

faster cards for cheaper? have you been paying attention to the cost of GPUs since the release of the RTX 10xx series? Every gen released after it the MSRP doubles lol.

IMO, to the OP, your system is fine, just get whatever GPU you wanna run and when intel releases their new socket look at upgrading then. Will it be a bottle neck? sure, but not like the bottle neck my 3090 was on my 6700k. I bought it used back in Dec to upgrade my 1080, it limped my 6700k along for another 9 months and then I built my 7800x3d system and transplanted into that.
Sorry I hate to break it to you but yes, in two years there will be cards that are faster than the 4090 that are cheaper. And you can have your opinion all you want but that's not going to change actual facts and benchmarks. Again running path tracing in cyberpunk 2077 calls for a 12900 right there on the spec sheet. And I've already given examples of other games where there's going to be at huge playable difference, not just a few FPS and a benchmark. And FFS if you're going to spend 1600 bucks then what's another 300 to 400 bucks in price difference from selling off your old CPU, ram and motherboard to upgrade those and get full potential out of your new GPU? To me that seems asinine not to do. Plus, as I already mentioned, those upgrades will give you a better overall PC experience anyway.

Sorry I hate to break it to you but yes, in two years there will be cards that are faster than the 4090 that are cheaper. And you can have your opinion all you want but that's not going to change actual facts and benchmarks. Again running path tracing in cyberpunk 2077 calls for a 12900 right there on the spec sheet. And I've already given examples of other games where there's going to be at huge playable difference, not just a few FPS and a benchmark. And FFS if you're going to spend 1600 bucks then what's another 300 to 400 bucks in price difference from selling off your old CPU, ram and motherboard to upgrade those and get full potential out of your new GPU? To me that seems asinine not to do. Plus, as I already mentioned, those upgrades will give you a better overall PC experience anyway.
I'm with you on this one, if you can afford a 4090 you can afford to upgrade the rest.

The MSRP increases each generation yes but you are more likely to get a card just as fast a 4090 for less money when the 50 series comes out. Unless you are saying that when next gen arrives, RTX 4090 performance will still cost $1600 say in the form of an RTX 5080 while the new flagship RTX 5090 now pushes the top tier MSRP to $2000+. With the current generation, all the previous gen performance has shifted down in price in reality. RX 6800XT performance can now be had for $500 instead of $650 with the 7800XT, and RTX 3080 Ti performance can now be had for $800 with the 4070 Ti instead of $1200.

Sorry, but

Sorry I hate to break it to you
stop starting everything with sorry, youre not and you attitude in all your posts shows it.

this setup will get him most of what the 4090 can do and it will be miles better than the 2080ti. not everyone has extra cash to just upgrade the rest of it either.

stop starting everything with sorry, youre not and you attitude in all your posts shows it.

this setup will get him most of what the 4090 can do and it will be miles better than the 2080ti. not everyone has extra cash to just upgrade the rest of it either.
I agree with this. It is not always feasible to buy a high-end computer all at once, I think that is the best part of being able to buy what you can afford and upgrade later. One of the comments is also true, it makes it a bit rough to wait many years then upgrade more components.
I have gone with GPU first then upgrade the CPU/MOBO/MEM next and then get to see huge gains. Will the whole system be on part with a newly released system? Most likely not? Will it perform really freaking well? Yep.

Enjoy the 4090 and hope you can upgrade more parts soon! Go [H]ard!

If you're buying a $1,600 video card but don't have another 300 to 400 bucks to spend for the motherboard, ram and CPU difference after selling off the old stuff, then you're clearly in no position to be buying a $1,600 video card in the first place. That is a silly decision to spend that much on a video card and have it perform like slower video card. How many times does it have to be said that you're not even meeting the requirements for path tracing in cyberpunk 2077 which would be one of the main reasons to even get a 4090. Games are only getting more and more CPU intensive so are you going to have minimum frame rates that are not even going to be close to keeping up making that shiny new 4090 look a bit silly.

I agree with this. It is not always feasible to buy a high-end computer all at once, I think that is the best part of being able to buy what you can afford and upgrade later. One of the comments is also true, it makes it a bit rough to wait many years then upgrade more components.
I have gone with GPU first then upgrade the CPU/MOBO/MEM next and then get to see huge gains. Will the whole system be on part with a newly released system? Most likely not? Will it perform really freaking well? Yep.

Enjoy the 4090 and hope you can upgrade more parts soon! Go [H]ard!
Waiting on upgrading the CPU for a few months would make sense if someone absolutely had to but waiting 2 years is just stupid. Anyway, I guess that's his decision, but I sure know I made the right decision and didn't bottleneck the hell out of a $1600 video card. And yes there are games where it would bottleneck the hell out of it not just a few FPS like some of you seem to be thinking. In something like Starfield you would be looking at about a 30% loss in performance being down in the 60s in CPU heavy areas as opposed to the upper 80s and 90s with a proper CPU.

If you're buying a $1,600 video card but don't have another 300 to 400 bucks to spend for the motherboard, ram and CPU difference after selling off the old stuff, then you're clearly in no position to be buying a $1,600 video card in the first place. That is a silly decision to spend that much on a video card and have it perform like slower video card. How many times does it have to be said that you're not even meeting the requirements for path tracing in cyberpunk 2077 which would be one of the main reasons to even get a 4090. Games are only getting more and more CPU intensive so are you going to have minimum frame rates that are not even going to be close to keeping up making that shiny new 4090 look a bit silly.
1695336116790.png

not everyone resells stuff either...

OP. I've had an RTX 4090 paired with a 10850k at stock for the past few months. I was running a triple monitor setup in portrait mode @4320x2560 165hz. It's been an excellent performer for me, and based on my personal experience and additional research, my estimation is I lose about 7-10 percent of my cards performance in cpu limited games. That said, at my resolution I am rarely cpu limited. If I were to upgrade my cpu, memory and motherboard in order to gain the extra performance would it be worth it? Heck no!!!!!! If you are in a similar situation don't fall for the ever present "go spend more money" crowd and just keep enjoying your new card. :)

Your 7 to 10% truly CPU limited estimations are quite a bit off. I'll be more than happy to link to some videos and reviews to show you that there are games where there is easily 20 to 30% loss compared to a 13900k or 7800 X3D. A 9900k and 10850k have pretty much the same IPC and I can tell you even just using a 4080 between my 9900k and 13700k system systems was absolutely night and day difference in CPU limited situations in several games. None of those games cared about having more than a few really fast cores. Anyway, ignorance is bliss as they say and I've seen people even use crazy mismatched systems and obliviously think nothing is wrong. FFS there's a completely oblivious clown on one of the other forums that has a 3570k with a 4070 TI.

Last edited:
My own personal experience and my own research of reputable reviews don't support your claims. Yes, there are some games where that might be the case but in my personal use case and the games "I play" the 7-10 percent is what I lose on average. Keep in mind that in all of these games I am already getting upwards of 100 plus fps. What do I care if I lose an addtional 7-10 frames on a select few games? Is it really worth upgrading my entire setup? It's not and I stand by that......

Last edited:
Reactions: TMCM
like this
My own personal experience and my own research of reputable reviews don't support your claims. Yes, there are some games where that might be the case but in my perosnal use case and the games "I play" the 7-10 percent is what I lose on average. Keep in mind that in all of these games I am already getting upwards of 100 plus fps. What do I care if I lose an addtional 10 to 15 frames on a select few games? Is it really worth upgrading my entire setup? No. It's not and I stand by that......
Well the fact that you are claiming that your CPU is capable of always being above 100 FPS is absolute pure nonsense or you just don't happen to have any of the games I'm talking about which I highly doubt.

Well the fact that you are claiming that your CPU is capable of always being above 100 FPS is absolute pure nonsense are you just don't happen to have any of the games I'm talking about.
In the games 'I play" yes. I am typically at 100 plus fps. I didn't say Cyberpunk or some other cpu heavy game did I? It depends on the OP's personal use case as to whether upgrading his entire setup is worth it. In any case he'd probably still be better off keeping his 4090 and his current setup unless he's a FPS addict who simply must have the highest fps in every game.

Reactions: TMCM
like this
In the games 'I play" yes. I am typically at 100 plus fps. I didn't say Cyberpunk or some other cpu heavy game did I?
Okay so you stay above 100 FPS by playing games that are never very CPU limited. So the person that starts this thread probably needs to make it clear what type of games he's going to play because odds are someone that buys a 4090 is likely to be playing some of the extremely popular games which can be CPU limited. For example, Starfield will have a extremely large gap in performance compared to a current top end CPU.

Okay so you stay above 100 FPS by playing games that are never CPU limited. So the person that starts this thread probably needs to make it clear what type of games he's going to play because odds are someone that buys a 490 is likely to be playing some of the extremely popular games which can be CPU limited. For example, Starfield will have a extremely large gap in performance compared to a current topian CPU.
No. I bought a 4090 because I have a triple monitor setup above 4k and I wanted more fps in all of my gpu heavy games. I just so happen to not play many cpu heavy games or even the latest and greatest games. Simply put, the games "I play" benefit hugely from the RTX 4090 paired with my 10850k. That may not be the case with everyone but perhaps you should have asked the OP what his personal use case was before telling him to dump his setup and go spend more money?

No. I bought a 4090 because I have a triple monitor setup above 4k and I wanted more fps in all of my gpu heavy games. I just so happen to not play many cpu heavy games or even the latest and greatest games. Simply put, the games "I play" benefit hugely from the RTX 4090 paired with my 10850k. That may not be the case with everyone but perhaps you should have asked the OP what his personal use case was before telling him to dump his setup and go speand more money?
I have gone into detail and even mentioned specific games and talking about CPU limited situations. If the OP thinks all the games I'm referring to aren't his cup of tea then he can easily say so.

View attachment 600347
not everyone resells stuff either...
Yeah reselling is a hassle and after you take out paypal fees and shipping plus the cost of your time... And you occasionally get the scam buyer or it gets damaged or lost in shipping. I very rarely resell computer parts. So, jobert ,it will cost far more than an extra 300 to 400 bucks to buy a new cpu, mobo, ram etc etc.

Back