Is 7900GT (GTX?) going to kill X1900XTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Everyone seem to like X1900XTX more than 7800GTX, even the 512MB version, so is the upcoming 'refresher' 7900 series (GT, GTX) going to kill it or should I buy a X1900XTX, now?

Thanks in advance!

Never wait on technology, especially if you don't know when it will arrive or how it will perform. Just get a 7800GTX/X1800XT now and enjoy. I advise against getting a GTX/512MB or XTX, as the performance difference between those and the ones below them is usually minimal and the price difference is huge.

Thanks, I really set my heart on an XFX 7800 (the cool looking black PCB ones). Are they any good?

Thanks!

get any one and overclock it real far with water cooling or extreme air cooling, then you'll have a good card for a long time

Cannibal Corpse said:
Thanks, I really set my heart on an XFX 7800 (the cool looking black PCB ones). Are they any good?

Thanks!
They are Awesome. I own one, and the black PCB with the ligts just help make it cooler.. :p

sac_tagg said:
Never wait on technology, especially if you don't know when it will arrive or how it will perform. Just get a 7800GTX/X1800XT now and enjoy. I advise against getting a GTX/512MB or XTX, as the performance difference between those and the ones below them is usually minimal and the price difference is huge.

minimal gains b/w the 1900xtx and a 7800gtx 256mb or the 512mb? there's a bigger difference than minimal with the 256mb which really needs sli to keep up but there's a big difference in IQ, features and speed especially when the drivers mature.

Well, from what I have read so far (rumors and such) nVIDIA will 'officially' announce it on mid March (or May?). The problem is that like any other new technology, the prices for them are going to be insane and by the time they come down, ATI has announced its 'refresher'.

This is my system components (from last year) that are collecting dust:

-DFI nF4 SLI-DR 'Expert'
-Opteron 146 (CABNE 0530 batch)
-Thermalright XP-90C
-Delta 92x38mm FFB0912HHE 2-wire (Got the 3 Wire version!)
-G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB DDR1
-Enermax 620W PSU 'Liberty'
-74GB WD Raptor Hdd (revision 00FLC0)
-Pioneer DVR-A09-XLB
-Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
-Gaming Bomb II (Black Colored)
-DELL 24" 2405FPW LCD
-Video Card???:( :( :(

All because of this con-man

I haven't had a chance to test none of my components since I never had the video card to complete my system. I have heard excellent reviews on RAM. I kicked myself when WD released the new hdd models though. (not that I can afford them or anything).

Cannibal Corpse said:
I haven't had a chance to test none of my components since I never had the video card to complete my system. I have heard excellent reviews on RAM. I kicked myself when WD released the new hdd models though. (not that I can afford them or anything).

Dont wait, thats crazy since you have your whole system, and just waiting on a video card. Get a X1900 now, and enjoy the games. The 7900 may very well be faster, its also going to be more street price, for the first bit. And who knows if it will be in short supply like the 512MB GTX.

Get a X1900 now, and dont worry about whats going to happen several weeks down the road.

Cannibal Corpse said:
Well, from what I have read so far (rumors and such) nVIDIA will 'officially' announce it on mid March (or May?). The problem is that like any other new technology, the prices for them are going to be insane and by the time they come down, ATI has announced its 'refresher'.

This is my system components (from last year) that are collecting dust:

-DFI nF4 SLI-DR 'Expert'
-Opteron 146 (CABNE 0530 batch)
-Thermalright XP-90C
-Delta 92x38mm FFB0912HHE 2-wire (Got the 3 Wire version!)
-G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB DDR1
-Enermax 620W PSU 'Liberty'
-74GB WD Raptor Hdd (revision 00FLC0)
-Pioneer DVR-A09-XLB
-Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
-Gaming Bomb II (Black Colored)
-DELL 24" 2405FPW LCD
-Video Card???:( :( :(

All because of this con-man

Wrong, it is being announced in Feb.

jcll2002 said:
i heard march 9-15

March 9 is about what I believe it will come out. Judging from how close the X1900XTX is with the 7800GTX 512 I will answer the original question by saying Yes. It will kill the X1900XTX in most everything.

Looking forward to relase date on 7900's myself, gotta spend tax $$ on something.... :D

mitsuhide said:
Someone delete that post before a flame war erupts.

If you are that paranoid, get an eVGA 7800GTX and step up when the time comes. At least you will escape with a minimal loss.

bobrownik said:
mitsuhide is abviously part of the AEG crew for nvidia ,

this is exactly what they do , post bullshit benchmarks and lies in the community
,benchmarks most likely also done by AEG

lol 7800gtx aint killing S#$* anymore,

quit posting garbage like this

calm down guy, its from a tech report review. either way, as was mentioned before, lets just avoid this flame war.

My response to questions like this is......

Maybe

I always assume the next card will stomp the previous, but sh!t happens.

If you can wait and the 7900 does not live up to expectations, you may at least get in on a XTX price drop.

I would never tell anybody to wait for hardware, if you can wait that's a good thing in this business as better stuff is around the corner. But don't put off a build for an unknown future.

Lucky for me I can wait because I'm poor :(

all these from anandtech.com

I am not a AEG crew for nvidia

just selectively posted :D

I doubt the 7900gtx will be much faster than the x1900xtx. It will be faster, but no it will not kill it.

The 7900 will be most likely faster than the x1900XTX when AA and AF are low. Turn up the eye candy or turn on HDR with heavy shaders, and the field evens. That is if nVidia continues down the one to one pixel pipe to shader count (32/32 versus ATI's 16/48 on the x1900). But, it is not in the bag for nVidia against the x1900. ATI has a history of getting the drivers tweaked and up to speed quite quickly. The Cat 6.2's are already much faster. Like always, we will have to wait until the 7900 hits the street for real reviews.

buy the x1900xt now because if u wait for the 7900, the next best thing will be around the corner, so why not wait for that? then you will find yourself waiting forever. just bite the bullet now and if the 7900 is that much better then sell the 1900 and get the nvidia. in future games, i would say both cards would be even, though in current non shader heavy games the 7900 would certainly pull ahead. in games like FEAR, and other shader heavy game for that matter, the x1900 would be faster. only time would tell, but don't let it pass by. get the x1900

Just reading posts and all I can say if you can't wait get 1900 or wait for 7900. All this depends on what Nvidia will have out in March. If they meet 48 shader that ATI has then you will see a pretty even playing field providing they fix HDR and AA on problem with Nvidia cards. What ticks me off is that cost of Nvidia top of line cards are more expensive than the 1900 that ATI offers. Having to state Nvdia 7800 512 are hardly available makes ATI more attractive. What makes me wonder is why they didn't make crossfire same speed as ATI top of line 1900? Only thing Nvidia has going as well is the fact they have way more motherboards available and games which rely on pixels pipes are faster on Nvidia.

judging at the numbers, one could conclude this

x1900xt=512gtx. however, 1900 is available and hell of alot cheaper

mitsuhide said:
7800GTX512 SLI alreadly killed the X1900XT Crossfire :D :D

No, an X1900 Crossfire setup is as fast, or faster than SLI GTX 512's in all of the following popular games.

Half-life 2 (and all other Source games)
F.E.A.R.
FarCry
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

In most other games (tested, which isn't a whole lot more) the SLI GTX 512's barely beat the Crossfire X1900's just as the X1900's didn't win by a whole lot in any of these games. The two setups are very similar in results when viewed across a broad spectrum of games, resolutions, and AA/AF settings, and could best be described as "tied overall". Up-to-date X1900XT drivers aren't even out yet, so there is a chance the X1900 Crossfire setups will get a boost in some games when they do come out. Also virtually all X1900XT's and X1900 Crossfire cards ever tested for OC'ing abilities have overclocked/flashed to XTX speeds without any signs of problems. Those results also would help the X1900 Crossfire setup surpass a 7800GTX 512 setup.

To put this in perspective, you can order an X1900XT Crossfire motherboard, master card, and secondary card this morning from Newegg and have them in your home tomorrow afternoon for about $1250 ($1350 with an XTX), and that includes overnight shipping and rush processing.

Meanwhile you would have to spend a fair amount of time hunting around for a retailer or ebay seller who has even one 7800GTX 512's for sale at a decent price. With searching, ordering, and shipping time, it would probably take a week or more to get the actual cards, and then it would probably still cost you around $1500 for the cards alone and $1650 or more with shipping and motherboard costs.

So basically you would spend $400 more for an overall tie in current games.... Doesn't make much sense to me.

I would bet that the 7900 will be faster than the x1900xtx, at least until more games come out that can really stress the 48 shader pipes of the x1900s...

However, I don't recommend waiting...it's a solid month away at best, and you can always trade up later if you have buyers remorse...

It will be faster, but not blow it away.

I wanted a 7800GTX, but waited for the 1900XT. It came out, I bought it. Give yourself a target, whatever it is, then just get it.

I had a 6800GT I was using so I was not hurting and didn't need a new one immediately. If your current card is workable, wait. If not, buy now.

toddw said:
It will be faster, but not blow it away.

I wanted a 7800GTX, but waited for the 1900XT. It came out, I bought it. Give yourself a target, whatever it is, then just get it.

I had a 6800GT I was using so I was not hurting and didn't need a new one immediately. If your current card is workable, wait. If not, buy now.
good advice

dun wanna start a flamming war but the 7900gtx is gonna slaughter the x1900, mind you, i suspect a month or so after 7900 ati is gonna drop another bomb, something like the X2100 mabey? who knows.

but right now, ATI is king of the hill, and its hurts to say that, cuz im an n-vidia man. but now is possibly the :eek:WORST:eek: time to buy. i mean look at all the changes,

- Vista, if you watch movies on your comp this is big. read this artical = http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/
- AM2 huge, new socket, new mobos, AM2 is gonna be coinciding with the FX-62. AM2 is designed for DDR2, so, very very expensive upgrade. unless your an intel fan
there was a third, cant remember right now ill get back to ya...

but yea, i would just save, but if your overflowing with cash and just HAVE to buy something within the next 4 weeks, go with the 7900. it pwns. iv heard N-vidia is gonna "mee too cept better" on this one. to sum up, N-Vidia is adding a ton of pixel processers, which is the only dif between the X1900 and X1800, only N-vidia is gonna add more then ati did on there 1800 to 1900 upgrade.

course n-vidia is gonna do more then just add more pixel processers, heard rumors of a 700-800Mhz (yea alot but the source seems good) and memory running at almost 2Ghz! (both sides).

yea and not to rag on anyones comp, and this is hear-say. but the hear-say i heard was that the X1800 and 1900 are loud. like. uber loud. but who knows.

and to this dude
the SLI GTX 512's barely beat the Crossfire X1900's just as the X1900's didn't win by a whole lot in any of these games
only because of the drivers, thats it. drivers. crossfire has alot more potential, but ati has to get there drivers in order! Sli>X-fire only because its been around longer, better drivers, i mean that checker-board thing crossfire does is ingenious. but, its beta really.

-my two cents

$BangforThe$ said:
Buy what you want . But don't listen to pure BS of 32pipe card running core at 800 That would be impressive the odds of nvidia doing that are 10000000000 to 1 lol Here is when I believe G71 appears may 20 or latter.

Here is a thread on the subject you may be waiting awhile. Notice what Vrzone has about the launch

http://www.elitebastards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13543

That thread is almost a month old

I'm waiting for the 7900 to come out to upgrade. its only a month away, and given the recent nvidia trend of hard launching, it will probably launch on the same day of announcement.
it would be a bad decision to buy now when you know that the next big thing is only a month away... if it were say 3 months or more, and a hard-launch isn't certain, then I'd buy now, but everything is indicating to the contrary. (except the 7800gtx 512, which was a part to counter the x1800xt, but even it could be found if you really wanted one).

Hmmm, seems like it would be prudent for me to wait till the 7900GTX comes out, then I can see how it performs then make a decision based on price performance.

I can only presume that the 7900 would be better and even then I wouldn't know by how much. If you really must wait then do and buy the best card then or buy the best card that fits your price range now and be happy/buy the best card now and then sell it when the 7900 comes out if it is better.
AFAIK the R580 is going to get a quick refresh onto a 80nm process in the future (please correct me if I'm wrong), which I imagine will lead to a speed bump - GDDR4? By then though, next-gen graphics card and game details will be leaking through and I certainly want the bleeding edge for those ;)
What if, the 7900 has similar shortages like the 7800 512 had? It is possible and nvidia seem to be following a similar route in-which to make the fastest card out there with high clocks ad pipeline counts (not to mention ram speed)...

Anyway that's my take on it and hope whatever card you buy brings you many frags :D

There are just too many uncertanties with 7900 in my mind as there are with any unlaunched product.

Avaibility?
Price?
Speed?
Features (HDR+AA?)

Those are the reasons why I jumped the X1900XT bandwagon, in my mind its the most future proof 3D card in the market with a decent price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back