Is 70º for my CPU too high?

Chix4mat

Gawd
MBM is nagging me with a prompt that it is over 70ºC.. is that too high? I've never seen it that high before, but I dunno.

Thanks!!

Chix4mat said:
MBM is nagging me with a prompt that it is over 70ºC.. is that too high? I've never seen it that high before, but I dunno.

Thanks!!

Well its not nagging you because its bored! Yes its too high... sounds like maybe your fan is dead/off/unplugged or something or maybe more dust bunnies then gawd has even seen! :eek:

That's the thing.. my comps as clean as a whistle, haha. Thanks, will do so now!

anything over 60C is cause for concern, 70C is flirting with disaster.

Yeah that's pretty high,

I would check your heatsink, and see if it is hot to the touch.
My 1700+ would run up to 60c sometimes and the heatsink would be pretty hot.

If it's not hot, remount your heatsink and see if that helps.
it may also be MBM acting strange with your mobo.

you might want to check your bios for temp verification. (although that may not be 100% accurate either)

thats horrible, either get a new case and heatsink, or just make sure your heatsink is on properly.
70C is getting pretty dangerous, especially for athlon Xp's.

i get nervous when my laptop barton 2400 hits 60 in my shuttle with the ice cooler it comes with.......70 is really hot tho

gclg2000 said:
drop a egg yoke on it and make me an egg sandwich then overnight it to me.

Haha, will do.

Ok, I guess I was a noob once again. My computer was clean, but the heatsink had quite a bit of dust in it. I cleaned the heatsink on my CPU and video card, and it's running at 52º idle, and almost touches 60º while playing a game.

Hopefully that was my whole problem, thanks a lot for the help!

HOLY!!!. 70 way too high, my 2600+ died at 57-59c!, 60c and 52c idel is still way too high. what kind of cooler your using? you should buy a thermaltake tr2-m2 for cheap 12bucks then buy some artic silver and slap it on, i bet itll lower your temps by at least 5c

What kind of CPU is it? What kind of Heatsink are you using?

Touching near 60c still seems a bit high for me. I have an Athlon non-mobile Barton 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ at 1.75 volts with a SLK-800 and a Panaflo fan which tops the CPU temp at 53-54c and idles at 45-46c.

I just wanted to know what CPU and Heatsink you got so I could compare.

What motherboard are you running it one? Reason being is there are quite a few bios updates for boards due to improper temperature reading.

Here's a from letter I use:
Check the following for overheating or perceived overheating:

- Is the heatsink correctly installed ?
--> Verify it is correctly installed.

- Is the heatsink filled with dust and crud ?
--> Clean with compressed air in a can.

- Is the heatsink fan operating ?
--> Replace defective fan with similar or better unit.

- Is the heatsink adequate for that application/CPU ?
--> Verify it meet the requirements for the CPU being used.
--> RETAIL heatsink? May require lapping and better TIM.

- Is thermal interface material used between heatsink and cpu ?
--> Verify it is used, and is applied according to the manufacturers guidlines.

- Is the TIM pad cover removed from heatsink before installation, if using supplied TIM pad ?
--> Remove the cover before installation, failure to do so will insulate the cpu from the TIM pad.

- Is there adequate airflow or case ventialation ?
--> Verify airflow, add case fans if required.

- Is the Vcore set higher tha specified by the manufacturer ?
--> Verify the Vcore is set to the manufacturers specification in the mainboards bios.

- Is the temperature read via the internal temperature diode. Is the tremperature read via the socket thermistor ?
--> Temperatures read at the diode can and will be higher than an external reading.

- Is the temperature sensor properly calibrated ?
--> Several board have this problem, check manufacturers bios revision history for calibration fix.

- Outside temperature high ?
--> If the external temperature is high, then the case fans will be drawing in hot air, especially during summer months.

Nice checklist. I am using an MSI KT4V mobo with BIOS flashed and latest drivers.

I didn't have canned air, so I used damn Q-tips to grab the dirt off the heatsink, and that worked fine. Now the comp idles at 51 instead of 61 - 63. Still wondering if that fan will make a difference.. not sure how "good" stock ones are.

As for everything else on your checklist, it's fine. Is 51 idle still too high? I never really paid attention to temperature until lately, so I am clueless.

The stock ones are so/so, some jems others are turds...I had to lap my stock AMD heatsink, it was rough like 220 grit sandpaper...smooth like a shaved...well you get the picture..I also use artic ceramique thermal interface material...Running D20L (crunching) my CPU tops at ~45*C...

Later

MD

I have an Aeroflow with Arctic Silver 5 that is just now finishing curing, and I am right at 35*C. Not too bad. I was where you are now with my old Thermaltake. I do have much better case cooling now though. Might help a tad.

Chix4mat said:
What's that Warriorprophet? Never heard of it.

nkeney, I am using a 2600+ non bartan, with the HS that came with it.

Would this heatsink help me much?
yep, i have the same 2600+, its a tbred. yeah mine died at 58-60 or something like that i still remember the moment my screen went black and everything stopped...if you have the money get the thermaltake volcano12
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-035&depa=0
or the thermaltake slk900
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-011&depa=0
and if you want to dump a hell lot of cash get the ttake sp-97
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-113&depa=0
otherwise stick with the vantec

Back